People from the north...

You said you have no knowledge. That's why we all gave you advice. And then you jumped on ME. And it's fine that you prefer to fix your kids hamburgers and other meats. I don't care. I'm just suggesting that you should keep a supply of canned and nonperishable foods for emergencies such as when power goes out and your entire meat supply in the freezer and other food in the fridge gets ruined and you don't have the money to go back to the grocery store to buy more meats and other refrigerated foods for your kids. The canned and nonperishable foods are your back-up food supply in case your perishables (frozen and refrigerated foods) gets ruined somehow and you don't have the money to get more until your next pay check. Unless you're rich and can afford to run off to the grocery store after the power comes back on and buy $200 worth of perishables right off the bat. In that case, go right ahead and act like a rich snob and say "I don't feed my kids this and that".

And, it takes a LOT of things to knock out the power...it is not just the cold...there has to be a lot of wind, ice, downed trees, etc, too, and a lot of other things involved in a winter storm. Damage has to be done to the power lines. Not just simple snow. I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin and have lost power AFTER a LOT of things happening during a winterstorm, not after just simple snow and sometimes even ice. Even when it's subzero. Since you said you have no experience, I want to ask you if you have lived in Arkansas all your life or if you came from a much warmer climate. I also wonder how old you are. You sound rather young, even though you say you have three kids.

:gpost: Yeah, I've experienced all that, but I have to say that the only thing colder than the weather is being in the south and no one says hi to you. Dang, that's way colder than our weather. And those southerners like to brag about "suthurn hospitality." More like "southern crap."

Yeah, I've experienced all that, but I have to say that the only thing colder than the weather is being in the south and no one says hi to you....
Sure they do, only it sounds like "hay." :lol:

I think we should all calm down and visit canada lol...it was -40 with the wind chill the other day and that isn't the coldest it can get up here so buck up soldiers lol...The ice and snow can be really bad and we have gotten some really bad ice and winter storms...we had the most coldest and snowiest winters last year since 1972 lol...Just make sure you are prepared for the worst. Plenty of water is essential as well as blankets and a fireplace is key...i would go out and get matches and firewood and such to tend to the fire...my bf and I use firewood as well as old newspaper sometimes to feed the fire so it's not so hard to start..A flashlight or two is key ...make sure you explain all this to your son and what to do in an emergency etc. As a kid we had a baddd ice storm and I was confused and I was hearing, so i can jst imagine if he relies on lip reading and ASL that he might be confused if the power goes out, just not sre how many power outages, if any, he has gone through...best of luck to you..you guys will be fine:)

Thank You, I've not thought about explaining to Chris about power outages. Although they were asleep when it went out, so they didn't know. I'll explain to him just incase it happens again. Thank you

You said you have no knowledge. That's why we all gave you advice. And then you jumped on ME. And it's fine that you prefer to fix your kids hamburgers and other meats. I don't care. I'm just suggesting that you should keep a supply of canned and nonperishable foods for emergencies such as when power goes out and your entire meat supply in the freezer and other food in the fridge gets ruined and you don't have the money to go back to the grocery store to buy more meats and other refrigerated foods for your kids. The canned and nonperishable foods are your back-up food supply in case your perishables (frozen and refrigerated foods) gets ruined somehow and you don't have the money to get more until your next pay check. Unless you're rich and can afford to run off to the grocery store after the power comes back on and buy $200 worth of perishables right off the bat. In that case, go right ahead and act like a rich snob and say "I don't feed my kids this and that".

And, it takes a LOT of things to knock out the power...it is not just the cold...there has to be a lot of wind, ice, downed trees, etc, too, and a lot of other things involved in a winter storm. Damage has to be done to the power lines. Not just simple snow. I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin and have lost power AFTER a LOT of things happening during a winterstorm, not after just simple snow and sometimes even ice. Even when it's subzero. Since you said you have no experience, I want to ask you if you have lived in Arkansas all your life or if you came from a much warmer climate. I also wonder how old you are. You sound rather young, even though you say you have three kids.

Just so you know I'm not a rich snob as a matter of fact I live on about 700 a month. I just rather cook home cooked meals for my kids so I don't stock up on can goods. I am 29 and do have 3 kids. The are 9, 6 & 4. So thank you for the compliant about sounding young. When you hit 29 you tend to feel odd. So how old are you?

:bowlol:

I'm still laughing . . . I can't believe I'm reading something like this. You have to be kidding, chris' mom? You've been in the south too long when you don't know this! :bowlol:

I've got about three feet of snow piled everywhere and some streets have ice on them with dirt and salt thrown on for good measure. The salt isn't melting anything because we've had way below zero farenheit temps, not to mention the windchills.

Stay warm, turn up the heat and when the dogs' need to go potty, providing your backyard is fenced, let them out to do it. Let them back in when they're done. Sometimes, the dogs like staying out in the cold. Snickers loves the snow and cold, but there is a limit to what she can take.

I've lived in Arkansas my whole life (pretty much). I've never had dogs during bad winters where I had to take them out on a lesh. When I was with my husband we had a fenced in back yard and just let them run. Here I have to lesh them and didn't want to fall on my butt or get pulled around.

thanks everyone for your advise and support

Chris_mom, I hope you did got all yourself and the kids prepared for the storm. I do pray for you, your kids and other Aders who lives in those states without electricity and water. We do have winter storm that came straight from your area and it was not as bad as yours. All we had was 5-6 inches of snow, then sleet, freezing rain then again rain. I remember we had a really bad ice storm two years ago. We stayed at a hotel instead of our own home because I do have to work, and yes hotel do get busy in this kind of weather. Penn Dot did their best jobs since 4 am this morning.

If I had to stay home, I would suggest the same things other Aders suggested. Make sure you have canned food which is more very, very important bec food don't always last in your refridgetor or freezer, no matter how cold the weather gets outside, your food still go bad...You don't want risk food posioning...Children often love peanut butter, even adults. We have heard from elderly that canned food doesn't always need to be cooked, we need to survived...we can eat cold baked beans if we have to...We would also buy first aid kits and emergercy supplies like tarp or anything...we always leave a saw under our deck in handy in case we get downed trees in our yard or driveway since we do live in woods...you just never know...We also buy candles and oil lamps fluids...it does keep the house warmer but make sure candles are in higher places and out of children and pets' reach...make sure we all cuddle up together on a sofa, talking or playing cards...we all need body heat as much we can...

we have kerosane heater in case and two cans of kerosane full...you can heat up water and soup on top of the kerosane as well. It is not too great, but it is better than nothing...Pack your bags, ALWAYS, in case you must leave the area. Leave your bags near the door in easy reach...Don't forget water...in case you cannot carry too many items, water is number one proity than food, we can survive with water, even without food for days...

Last summer I bought 2 power charger that can run up to 12 hours that you can get from Home Depot. I use it for cell phones or lamp if I have too...remember it runs up to 12 hours. There are 4, 12 or 36 hours chargers...You can even carry that in your car in case your car dies too. It range from 19.99 to 79.99 at Home Depot.

I saw Kentucky on the news, it was really bad too. Too many down trees are not good. I do pray for Jolie and her kids to be well and safe. I hope she and the kids also have the things to be prepare for this kind of storm.

I also pray for other Aders who live in the area with no electriciy and water that they will get their water and power back in no time. This kind of storm may take a long time, and hopefully they will survive thru this...

. . . When you hit 29 you tend to feel odd. So how old are you?

I didn't feel "odd" when I was 29, but I did feel pretty good. ;) I will always defy gravity, as does Lucia. Neither of us will ever look our ages. :D

I've lived in Arkansas my whole life (pretty much) . . .

I've lived in various areas of the USA since 1984, but am a Minnesota native. There are some parts of the country that I refuse to visit again, which are pretty much all the "Right To Work" states and those with way too many people in them (mainly everything east of Texas and south of Indiana to New Jersey and south. Although I think Tennessee is kinda pretty.

Pack your bags, ALWAYS, in case you must leave the area. Leave your bags near the door in easy reach...Don't forget water...in case you cannot carry too many items, water is number one proity than food, we can survive with water, even without food for days...

QUOTE]

I never thought of packing bags. WOW..that is a good idea.

Last summer I bought 2 power charger that can run up to 12 hours that you can get from Home Depot. I use it for cell phones or lamp if I have too...remember it runs up to 12 hours. There are 4, 12 or 36 hours chargers...You can even carry that in your car in case your car dies too. It range from 19.99 to 79.99 at Home Depot.

QUOTE]

I also didn't think about this I'll have to pick some up. My cell phone almost died this go around. And a lamp would have been awsome!

Thanks

I didn't feel "odd" when I was 29, but I did feel pretty good. ;) I will always defy gravity, as does Lucia. Neither of us will ever look our ages. :D

I've lived in various areas of the USA since 1984, but am a Minnesota native. There are some parts of the country that I refuse to visit again, which are pretty much all the "Right To Work" states and those with way too many people in them (mainly everything east of Texas and south of Indiana to New Jersey and south. Although I think Tennessee is kinda pretty.

I've lived in San Antonio, TX for 2 years, and promised my self to never live there again. It was too big for this small town girl. I've also lived in KY for 10 months when Chris was a new born. I just always find my self back here in Arkansas. It's home

Maybe to some people but I see 50 as over the hill cause unless you are the rare one, you will have lived most of your life and you are closer to death than to birth.

now we've got to look forward to turning 40! fossil 40! officially over the hill! :shock:

my sister keeps reminding me of the fact that i'm 38 years old and fast approaching 40. i HATE it when she does that. :laugh2:

Back