People from the north...

chris' mom

Reaction score
This ice storm they are predicting us could knock out power and stuff...how do ya'll do it? I have a fire place for heat, but I don't think I have flashlights or such for lights (and don't have money to get some) how do I keep the most heat in this one room and how do I walk the dogs to go potty?? any ideas would be appricated.

This ice storm they are predicting us could knock out power and stuff...how do ya'll do it? I have a fire place for heat, but I don't think I have flashlights or such for lights (and don't have money to get some) how do I keep the most heat in this one room and how do I walk the dogs to go potty?? any ideas would be appricated.

1. flashlights at any store are cheap... like $5-10. I'm sure you can afford that.
2. use candles
3. i'm assuming your fireplace is in your living room. you shouldn't worry about heating issue since fireplace is very effective enough to keep your home warm
4. just make sure you have enough woods (LOT) and food and water enough for 1+ weeks (depending on your previous experience with power outage)
5. as for dogs to go potty... you shouldn't worry about it since fireplace is excellent source of heat for a long time
6. you might want to make sure you seal out any air leak that steals your warm air especially under the door - simply cover it with towel.
7. if you think you'll lose power for more than a week - clean your bathtub and fill it with water - that would be your source of water. if that irks you - well fill up water bottles/jugs you have but use bathtub water for your toilet and sink.

here are a few suggestions:

1. if you have curtains or blinds, close them to absorb the heat.

2. when taking the dogs outside, walk with your legs bent slightly forward (as if you're going to fall). this will help stabilize you if you should lose your balance on the ice.

3. another idea for taking your dogs outside: put them on a long leash and stand in the doorway waiting for them to do their business.

4. always keep a small portable radio in a drawer with fresh batteries.

5. go to a drugstore like walgreen's to purchase cheap flashlights. they don't cost any more than a few dollars at the most.

6. keep a weather radio equipped with batteries in the same drawer (or near the same drawer) as your pocket radio.

what jiro and hear again said... but be careful with the candles make sure they are in holders or if its like those little tea lite candles or the small stubby ones use a ceramic saucer to put them in and make sure its not close to drapes or clothing or anything. the fireplace will giveoff a little light itself but not much. ive found if i have to go out while the driveway is icy ill keep one foot on the grass its rougher than a regular sidwwalk and wont be as slippery. isnt here anyways.

ncffo7,

that's why i didn't suggest using candles. flashlights are a much safer alternative.

thanks guys. I'm freaked out. And actually money is so tight till the first that I used my last $5 on gas for the car. I think I have a latern in my storage room..I'll have to check in the morning. They are talking about the ice falling for 2-3 days..1/2 to 1 inch..is that bad? I've never experienced this before.

lori,

1 to 1/2 inches isn't bad. it's when you reach 2 inches or more that you should be a little more concerned.

besides, for all you know, the weather forecasters could be completely wrong.

thanks guys. I'm freaked out. And actually money is so tight till the first that I used my last $5 on gas for the car. I think I have a latern in my storage room..I'll have to check in the morning. They are talking about the ice falling for 2-3 days..1/2 to 1 inch..is that bad? I've never experienced this before.

wow.... that bad of your financial situation? hmmm what about your parents?? or your relatives??

I'm a negative person. I always think the worst..that way if it doesn't happen it's okay

wow.... that bad of your financial situation? hmmm what about your parents?? or your relatives??

Parents are out of state. It wouldn't be as bad but my oldest son's dad got fired so I lost $200 in child support this month. And my soon to be ex husband refuses to pay any type of support till he's court ordered to do so. Right now we live on Chris' SSI of 674 month

Parents are out of state. It wouldn't be as bad but my oldest son's dad got fired so I lost $200 in child support this month. And my soon to be ex husband refuses to pay any type of support till he's court ordered to do so. Right now we live on Chris' SSI of 674 month

good gracious.... and it takes a while to get court to order him to do so..... :mad2: Ma'am - that ex of yours is truly a Domestic Dissent. :mad2:

good gracious.... and it takes a while to get court to order him to do so..... :mad2: Ma'am - that ex of yours is truly a Domestic Dissent. :mad2:

He wanted me to give him joint custody..I laughted my ass off..he has never taken Chris to his therapies (cause of his work schedule) and doesn't know ASL (what Chris knows) so it's hard for them to communicate..YEA real winner there.

He wanted me to give him joint custody..I laughted my ass off..he has never taken Chris to his therapies (cause of his work schedule) and doesn't know ASL (what Chris knows) so it's hard for them to communicate..YEA real winner there.

:nono:

*throw the exes in the Jiro's Maximum Prison* All done.

:P

As for this thread, I'd do what Jiro and Hear Again said if I ever live in the northern states....especially Alaska or Montana.

OH my, hope everything works out for you and the boys. please do keep us updated with your situation.

other suggestion to keep warm at nights, when the fire is on low.....cuddle up together in one bed!

OH my, hope everything works out for you and the boys. please do keep us updated with your situation.

other suggestion to keep warm at nights, when the fire is on low.....cuddle up together in one bed!

:grouphug:

Also make sure you have card games, board games because if you may end up losing power and have to keep the kids entertained......

What Jiro and Hear Again says is true. Not only in ice storms but in all kinds of weather.

All these suggestions made previously are all great. But I wanna just throw in a few things about the car (Just got through a snow storm not to long ago and was VERY unprepaired LOL)

1. keep blankets in the car to keep warm if you do get stuck
2. keep water in the car
3. non-perishable items like litte snacks just in case
4. The most important thing: get tire chains (can be had for a song at most junk yards)

Remember, its not that bad driving on fresh powder... its when the powder turns into ice when it gets dangerous. If you do slide on the ice, don't panic, don't lock your brakes up... release them. And the most important rule is DON'T break or accelerate going around a corner.

Wish y'all the best of luck :D

Back