Paying a Baby-sitter

WaterRats13 said:
I'm curious -- why's that? I babysat quite a number of times when I was between the ages of 8 til 17 and it all went very well. I babysat a 15 month old baby and a 3 year old boy across the street from home...

I babysat a group of kids whilst their parents were taking an ASL class at school. I was 15 at the time...looked after about 8 kids, ages ranged from 3 to 7. I did it unsupervised and all went well. Just had to invent games to keep the kids occupied and out of trouble, ha. :lol:

Hi WaterRat, :wave:

I understand what you are saying.....

My last comment was referred to being as a ' Mother ' , from a ' Mother's ' , view during which time has greatly changed since I was younger .....Cheri and I did babysitted other kids back when we were younger like you have done also....

Society has really changed so much in the last 15 years or so since I did babysitted which influenced to what I believe in doing now .....In understanding this, I do have the rights to choose as a Mother when it comes to seeking a babysitter to provide care of my children... :)

^Angel^ said:
Hi WaterRat, :wave:

I understand what you are saying.....

My last comment was referred to being as a ' Mother ' , from a ' Mother's ' , view during which time has greatly changed since I was younger .....Cheri and I did babysitted other kids back when we were younger like you have done also....

Society has really changed so much in the last 15 years or so since I did babysitted which influenced to what I believe in doing now .....In understanding this, I do have the rights to choose as a Mother when it comes to seeking a babysitter to provide care of my children... :)

Yep, ^Angel^ has a point there. Times and people have changed in the last several years. WaterRats, you probably were a very good babysitter, and I'm sure that had I known you at the time, I would have trusted you as well. You just see more shocking things on the news now than you saw back then.

Didn't mean to imply that a younger babysitter was a no-no. There may very well be 14-15 year olds out there, even today, who are highly capable of entertaining a younger sibling or a neighbor's child...and that's terrific. :) It's just all a matter of preference...it's nothing personal.

:::hugs for WaterRats::: I've seen you to be a very patient person anyway...I'm not sure I would like two or three little blonde girls playing with my hair for hours. LOL.

Malfoyish

Roadrunner said:
It looks like you have an entirely different view of who and what God is, with faith and trusting in the Lord God, He can provide protection and guidance for the children of true and faithful believers (parents)...I am not condoning for whatever you may believe in...in regards to the Almighty God...but for 'us', we tend to believe 'our' children can be watched over and protected in more ways than those who don't rely or have God in their life or not allowing Him to be in their lives daily....indeed, the 'rest' may be upon ourselves...teaching and admonishing our children to learn and live without having 'fear' of anyone, giving them the kind of support/rapport and what they need to do when someone, especially any other family member(s) approach them in a wrongful way....

Considering the majority is a very SMALL percentage of the TOTAL cases which have been reported involving circumstances surrounding babysitters compared to what's taken place in daycares, etc...the reason possible is that we seem to read or hear more of a family member, etc. acting out wrongfully is simply because it's deplorable and down-right disgusting which tends to implicate much media attention, etc....more so than in cases where it happens like in a daycare, etc.,....

Wrong, the day cares get more media attention when they actually represent only 3% of the entire child abuse cases.

ABUSE IN DAY CARE/FOSTER CARE

Reports of child maltreatment involving day care centers and foster care homes attract a great deal of attention.* Such publicity has created the perception that abuse is common place in these out-of-home settings.* However, this perception seems out of line with reality (Finkelhor & Williams, 1988).* Based on information from 18 states, reports of abuse in day care, foster care, or other institutional care settings represented about 3% of* all confirmed cases in 1997 (Wang & Daro, 1998).* This percentage has remained consistent over the past eleven years.

http://www.childabuse.com/facts97.htm

We all have made mistakes and continue to do so, we'll hopefully have learn positively and adjust accordingly from our own mistakes...but that don't mean we have to be depending on ourselves much more...where 'faith and trust' is instilled in the lives of those who dearly entrust oneself and love ones to the 'One' above...is how life CAN be and WILL be for those who allow to live in this way....

No, you have to depend on yourself more than anybody because you are the parent. It is your responsibility to protect the child, not God's, not your relatives', not your friends', nobody. Only you are!

God has nothing to do with sexual abuse, this is done by human beings and it need to be prevented as much as possible in the society. God is incapable of doing that, human beings has to change that themselves.

If you really think God is capable of protecting people, then why are there so many murderers, rapists, thieves causing a lot of harm to the society of God-believers?

God is Faith, and that is all there is to it.

Hmm...usually no good??? Growing up or raising up with either parents or siblings don't account for any judgement? *shakin' my head* Perhaps with strangers, etc...whereas the better part of our own judgements of them may not be so good then...!

Nothing is wrong with hiring a babysitter, but if something bad happen. You can blame the babysitter, but you also have yourself to blame for making a bad judgment.

There are faults to both sides.

CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE

In 1997, approximately 84,320 new cases of child sexual abuse were accepted for service, accounting for 8% of all confirmed victims.* This number underscores the substantial threat to child well-being represented by this form of maltreatment.

http://www.childabuse.com/facts97.htm

It is really up to the human beings on what to do about it, not God. God only give you the faith and teach you the differences between right and wrong.

The rest is up to us on what to do about it.

There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind that children are abused every day, Banjo. We, after all, live in a sick and twisted world and abuse is much more common than we are aware of. It can be in daycare, it can be at home, it can be at a party, it can be at school, camp, et cetera, et cetera.

However, I strongly and politely have to disagree with you on the fact that parents are in any way to blame if a child is abused by a babysitter. Yes, we made a judgement call, but judgement ALWAYS leaves room for mistakes. We, as humans, make mistakes every day. I don't believe that blame should be placed onto the parent, but solely on the babysitter or whoever it is that has done something as sick and horrible as child abuse.

If a child is abused by a babysitter, then the child will NEED the parent's love and support to get through it. They certainly do not need a parent who blames themselves.

People are two-faced, and pretty damn convincing at times. You have to keep that in mind. We can think we know everything about someone based on how we see them behave in public but behind closed doors, they can be completely different. Unfortunately I've come into contact with too many people of that nature. However, I would have to say that your family would be the people you know the best since "behind closed doors" pertains to the home and these are people you've seen at their worst...tantrums, tempers, etc. I'm more likely to get pissed off at home than I am while out shopping.

Point is, if you're going to trust someone, whether it's a parent, relative, or someone you find in the classified ads to babysit your child, then you are basically making a judgement call. Most of the time, you're lucky enough to be right, but there are cases in which you're wrong. If you are, then your child will need you to help them pick up the pieces. NOT blame yourself.

Malfoyish

I often babysit my roommate's daughter while she run out on errands. I don't charge her. I'm a true friend helping one friend out. She always owe me the favor later.

Roadrunner said:
It looks like you have an entirely different view of who and what God is, with faith and trusting in the Lord God, He can provide protection and guidance for the children of true and faithful believers (parents)...I am not condoning for whatever you may believe in...in regards to the Almighty God...but for 'us', we tend to believe 'our' children can be watched over and protected in more ways than those who don't rely or have God in their life or not allowing Him to be in their lives daily....indeed, the 'rest' may be upon ourselves...teaching and admonishing our children to learn and live without having 'fear' of anyone, giving them the kind of support/rapport and what they need to do when someone, especially any other family member(s) approach them in a wrongful way....
That sounds like God only protects those who believe in him. Doesn't that contradict with the fact that God loves everyone?
Roadrunner said:
Considering the majority is a very SMALL percentage of the TOTAL cases which have been reported involving circumstances surrounding babysitters compared to what's taken place in daycares, etc...the reason possible is that we seem to read or hear more of a family member, etc. acting out wrongfully is simply because it's deplorable and down-right disgusting which tends to implicate much media attention, etc....more so than in cases where it happens like in a daycare, etc.,....
You're right. People seem to look at numbers. They don't exactly look at percentages. Sometimes, it's the other way around. In this case, the percentage of abusings at home is very high compared to the percentage in day cares. 100 out of 10,000 is 1%. 10 out of 100 is 10%. If 100 out of 100,000 children are abused in day cares and 10 out every 100 children are abused in homes, I would say that being home is worse.

The Autistic Child

Wasn't this thread ORIGINALLY about babysitting an autistic child? At least that is the conclusion I drew when I read over the whole thread.

The mother with the autistic child needs to join a support group for parents who also have autistic children. That way, everyone understands the problem and when she needs a 'sitter she knows where to go.

If you peeps use a Daycare Center and you are LOW INCOME, the government will pay (or help pay) your babysitting fees. This is a very good way to do things, since if anything negitive happens to the child, the government is involved and can get on the case.

This is just my twobits worth since I have been a childcare worker for many, many years.

Lantana said:
Wasn't this thread ORIGINALLY about babysitting an autistic child? At least that is the conclusion I drew when I read over the whole thread.

The mother with the autistic child needs to join a support group for parents who also have autistic children. That way, everyone understands the problem and when she needs a 'sitter she knows where to go.

If you peeps use a Daycare Center and you are LOW INCOME, the government will pay (or help pay) your babysitting fees. This is a very good way to do things, since if anything negitive happens to the child, the government is involved and can get on the case.

This is just my twobits worth since I have been a childcare worker for many, many years.
You're right. I think that the government does help with day cares for children with special needs.

VamPyroX said:
You're right. I think that the government does help with day cares for children with special needs.

No Not only Special Needs.. I have worked at a day care some Parent cannot afford Daycare cuz of their income they get Welfare Coupons for DayCare and Parent Pay Part of Daycare but Welfare Pays More it depends on their Wage of Income they make out of their Paycheck.

I hired a babysitter who was wheelchair bound when our children were little. No one else in our neighbourhood would hire her because of her handicap, so i did, and it proved to be the best thing i did! She was the best babysitter i ever had! We paid her $5.00 an hour. She was older, 23 years of age, and she managed the kids perfectly! She babysat for us for almost 8 years!

mostly grandmother can babysitters of grandchildren than daycare! i would agree with posts!

i told my mother about if i have children one day and she would acceptance to watch my baby to babysitter when im going to work and she would change diapers,feed bottle,taking nap when im feed my cousin when my cousin was baby and change diapers i dont think had rash or had rash let my aunt do it!

if family can babysitter for free if who baby relationship? and also grandparents also to babysitters for free trust me.

Sara Boyce

Cheri said:
No Not only Special Needs.. I have worked at a day care some Parent cannot afford Daycare cuz of their income they get Welfare Coupons for DayCare and Parent Pay Part of Daycare but Welfare Pays More it depends on their Wage of Income they make out of their Paycheck.

we re in low income family, couldnt afford to pay daycare/babysitter government still declined me :( said if i was single mother of 2 girls they would help but husband and wife they both can shift, work out, huh?! since my girls have never been watched with babysitter/daycare neither :/ so only me and my husband figured out my work am husband's evening made it

I have oldest married couple who treat us as family, to babysat my children rarely.

If we make our evening outing then have child minder from Youth Child Welfare Service to watch our children. We do that rarely. She refused to take money from us so we do something is give her coupon to go resturant with family for christmans gift... (We become good friend since she watched our children & developed our children with speech due our deafness accord German law - they paid her to train my children with speech development).

I never pay anyone to babysit for my daughter nor send her to day care. I have a several best friends who would be able to watch my daughter sometime when I am gone to work and I return their favor.. to watch their kids at no cost.

Back