Paying a Baby-sitter

I pay the babysitter $50.00 to watch my son.. My son is almost 22 months old.. Watching wild and terrible-two, it got the babysitter a little more stressed out.. So I give her the money to go to massage and spa treatment.

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
I pay the babysitter $50.00 to watch my son.. My son is almost 22 months old.. Watching wild and terrible-two, it got the babysitter a little more stressed out.. So I give her the money to go to massage and spa treatment.
50.00 for a day ?????

80 bucks a week, Cheri?

OH my god I would dread to babysit your kids then... haha

Like KJ said, 10 bucks a hour is a good deal .. (San Diegan here)...
I get peeved if I get paid less than 8 bucks per hour.

I don't charge to babysit a family relative's kids but strangers- I charge based on the age and their difficulties. If the kids were out of control etc and I have dropped to their level to discpline them, I will charge the parents higher. I think parents should train the kids to behave around strangers while they are not there to supervise... if they don't, they gotta cough up for the babysitter's emotional and mental stresses! ~ACH~

The only reason I am little expensive because I do have years of experience with newborns to young child (started babysitting at age 11 with 4 months old baby) and I can understand them {somehow} and I do give up MY spare time for homework or friends to PLAY with them... if they don't want me to play with them- ie: just being home while the kids sleep, then of course I will not ask for 10 bucks per hour because I get to do my stuff so 5 bucks per hour won't hurt me. :)

I would say 7 bucks (6.50= the minimum wage, lol use that as your startpoint) would be nice for a first-time babysitter but usually first-time babysitter get a lousy pay because the parents don't trust them et cetera.

The worst pay I ever got was 40 bucks for two days worth of babysitting- 6am to 5pm. I refused to babysit that kid again because it was exhausting with her- and she only spoke spanish so It was really hard for me to understand her and the parent didn't tell me how to deal wiht her et cetera- her favorites etc, you know? whatever.

The best pay I ever got was 15 bucks for 8 minutes worth of babysitting. [laughing] a neighbor asked me to watch her kids while she went to stop by a nearby store... she got three kids- age 2 to 8. I never asked for money, but she handed me 15 bucks and I protested. She was stubborn too and refused to take back the money. So i kept it. :)

Thanks, gnarly. That’s the type of response I was most hoping for—somebody who lives in SoCal, is in the 18 -22 age range, and has done this type of work recently. Before I started this thread I was guessing that $8 was going to be about the minimum for a high schooler with a reasonable amount of experience. Looks like my guess was about right. I talked to my friend last night, and she said she was fine with $10. I gave Grandma the price and my friend’s e-mail address. Today Grandma told me that the father was a little stymied by the price, but was considering it. I’m guessing that he’ll come around once he discovers that $8 - $10 is not at all unreasonable. I don’t know how well you know the LA area, but this is Thousand Oaks we’re talking about. I think if my friend will go down to $9, he better grab it while he can. You said that $8 is as low as you’ll go—would you charge more for a special needs child?

WBHarley said:
50.00 for a day ?????

Just Friday night and Saturday night.
That way me and my husband can go out and spend quality time together without our son.

^Angel^ said:
WoW, $10.00 an hour is Expensive for one child....even with special needs....U know I only pay $2.50 an hour when my first son was born and he was 2....which they called it ' terrible two'....and that alot more work watching a two years old with the cost like this per hour....

I could never get a babysitter for the cost of $10.00 an hour... :eek:

Well if you cant find a 15 year old to watch your kid, and you need to hire an adult, your going to pay for it. It sounds like they need a person that can stay up fairly late, and the only way you can get that is through an adult, or from a kid who's parents dont care where they are, and how can you really trust a kid when they come from a backround like that?

gnarlydorkette said:
80 bucks a week, Cheri?

OH my god I would dread to babysit your kids then... haha

My Friends and Family Charge me For Less Or My Family does it for Trade Like I watch their Children in Trade to watch My children whatever Needed a babysitter.I only ask People I know to watch My Children I do not trust Daycare or Strangers Home Baby-sitter to watch my Boys I have had a History of Daycare Neglect with One of My Boy when he was 6 months old I was working 8 hours Shift and The daycare only changed his diaper Once! He end up with a bad diaper rash. I was very Disappointing and Removed him from that Daycare. But that is not all. She also made him sit on the Bouncer Chair for Hours My Oldest Son told me the story how My 6 Months Old Cried a Lot that Night. I did Report them to Child Service Department and the Daycare Person got Fired and the Daycare had to end up paying a fine.

Megladon said:
Well if you cant find a 15 year old to watch your kid, and you need to hire an adult, your going to pay for it. It sounds like they need a person that can stay up fairly late, and the only way you can get that is through an adult, or from a kid who's parents dont care where they are, and how can you really trust a kid when they come from a backround like that?

Pardon me?...Who said I was going to hire a 15 years old to babysit my children? there no way on earth I would ask anyone under 18 to babysit my children....

I honestly have no clue what you are talking about!..

Last edited:
Banjo said:

Well...

...how would anyone feel having not so good experiences with a babysitter who's younger than 18...when apparently from my own experiences having one that the only thing this babysitter ever did was talk on the phone throughout the whole time and not watching my two years old son (he's now 4) and my other two older sons told me....that's one thing...but honestly I do not trust strangers, daycares or anyone that's under 18 to watch my children... As a caring mother of three boys...I'm very overprotective of my charming sons...and I do not trust or tolerate anyone whom I do not really know...and it's not only whether they have the experience to care for my youngsters, it's more of the fact they could do something drastic or horrible to my boys...I see and read about many instances which does bother me greatly and I'm only doing what's best for my sons as I see fit....

Every parent(s) has their own way of going about with this, their own opinions of how they want to handle each situation and for a babysitter in this case, I prefer to have someone at least 18 years or older and someone I can truly trust...with reasonable pay for their trustworthy care....

^Angel^ said:
but honestly I do not trust strangers, daycares or anyone that's under 18 to watch my children.

Did you know that the majority of child molestation are done by family relatives, not strangers?

Banjo said:
Did you know that the majority of child molestation are done by family relatives, not strangers?

Yes, I'm aware of that...but my family isn't like that!...the Only family member I ever asked are my sisters and my parents that it!...

^Angel^ said:
but my family isn't like that!...the Only family member I ever asked are my sisters and my parents that it!...

So did the the families of child molesters.

You'll be surprised to see how many cases of close relatives molesting children are exposed daily.

The point is, you can get betrayed by your own parent, grandparent, sibling and not know it nor expect it.

Banjo said:
The point is, you can get betrayed by your own parent, grandparent, sibling and not know it nor expect it.

Perhaps...but she DID say that she PREFERS that someone be over 18 in order to watch her kids. As a mother, she has that right. I have to say that I agree. Someone who is over 18 would, in my opinion, be more mature and more likely to do a good job babysitting.

As for molestation, yes, you're right, anyone we know and love can be a child abuser, but it's a matter of judgement more than anything else. TRUST comes into play when you decide to leave your children with family members. In Angel's case, she says she would leave her sons with her parents or her sisters - and since she would know them better than she would any 18-year-old babysitter who likes sitting on the couch on her cell phone, she is more likely to receive better care from them than she would some young woman or man trying to pay their way through college.

As for me...I very rarely leave my kids home with anyone other than my husband...there is usually someone home at all times. If he can't be home with them, then my mother is the first person called. I trust her, and I know in my heart that she is not capable of molestation. That's all that matters, and I'm comfortable with it.

Malfoyish

Malfoyish said:
Perhaps...but she DID say that she PREFERS that someone be over 18 in order to watch her kids. As a mother, she has that right. I have to say that I agree. Someone who is over 18 would, in my opinion, be more mature and more likely to do a good job babysitting.

As for molestation, yes, you're right, anyone we know and love can be a child abuser, but it's a matter of judgement more than anything else. TRUST comes into play when you decide to leave your children with family members. In Angel's case, she says she would leave her sons with her parents or her sisters - and since she would know them better than she would any 18-year-old babysitter who likes sitting on the couch on her cell phone, she is more likely to receive better care from them than she would some young woman or man trying to pay their way through college.

As for me...I very rarely leave my kids home with anyone other than my husband...there is usually someone home at all times. If he can't be home with them, then my mother is the first person called. I trust her, and I know in my heart that she is not capable of molestation. That's all that matters, and I'm comfortable with it.

Malfoyish

Very well said Malfoyish, you pratically took the words right out of my mouth, or should I say, my heart...like yourself, I admit I would have to agree with what ^Angel^ indicated above...having someone at least 18 years or older...and it's not just *thinking* that any family member could commit such acts such as molestation, abuse, etc...it's more of TRUST...to trust family members to provide the kind of quality care watching our own child(ren) with unconditional love and support/rapport....

Btw Banjo, out of due respect for ^Angel^'s own opinions and choice of the matter in regards to whoever she desire to have as providers for care-taking of her own children...and of course, she is well and more capable of being able to choose while at the same time being aware of certain immoralities that seem to have befallen our society with such decadence even within a family...but rest assure, she knows WHO to trust and seek to watch and care for her sons...there's no point to drag this any further than what she already has indicated...like ^Angel^ mentioned, every parent(s) have their own opinionated standards of what they believe in and what's best for providing care of their child(ren)....

Although, I will add that there are certain programs implemented and in place to provide 'training', 'education' for young teenagers wanting to babysit...teaching them to learn how to deal with each kind of possible scenarios and situations...I know of one family that has two teenagers daughters that took this 'course' via a hospital...providing them with the means to carry out the respondsibilities for babysitting...upon completion of this course, they were given a certificate and much valueable information and the know-how to utilize their skills to provide the kind of professional care and trust to babysit....

Lastly, it is a matter of judgement (like Malfoyish mentioned above) AND trust for whomever is to provide quality care of our child(ren)...and with God's Help and prayers, we'll be that much more better equipped to assure our child(ren)'s safety and well-being!

she knows WHO to trust and seek to watch and care for her sons

Many people knew who to trust, but some of them get betrayed by touching their children for sexual pleasure. It is a FACT that many child molesters are trusted friends or relatives of the family.

and with God's Help and prayers, we'll be that much more better equipped to assure our child(ren)'s safety and well-being!

God can't protect your children, only you can. God is only there to give you faith, the rest is up to you.

The point is, sometimes we think we know people well enough to invest your trust into but turn out to be a bad investment. This is the majority cause in the majority of child molestation cases because people made errors in judging people.

I'm sorry, but that is what life's about. People make mistakes and learn from them because they depend too much on the others when they should depended on themselves more.

Judgment is usually no good because child molesters are very difficult to identify because they are so well at hiding their true images.

I have been aware of situations where a man has never molested his children, but he did molest his grandchildren which has tore quite an amount of families apart.

Sad, isn't it?

Even when you are trusting your most beloved sibling, parent, friend, relative, spouse... you are still putting your children at possible risks.

That is what we call life.

Life is filled with risks.

^Angel^ said:
Pardon me?...Who said I was going to hire a 15 years old to babysit my children? there no way on earth I would ask anyone under 18 to babysit my children....

I honestly have no clue what you are talking about!..

I'm curious -- why's that? I babysat quite a number of times when I was between the ages of 8 til 17 and it all went very well. I babysat a 15 month old baby and a 3 year old boy across the street from home...

I babysat a group of kids whilst their parents were taking an ASL class at school. I was 15 at the time...looked after about 8 kids, ages ranged from 3 to 7. I did it unsupervised and all went well. Just had to invent games to keep the kids occupied and out of trouble, ha. :lol:

Perhaps...but she DID say that she PREFERS that someone be over 18 in order to watch her kids. As a mother, she has that right. I have to say that I agree.

Just because she prefer a babysitter to be at least 18 doesn't mean the baby will be safe from harm.

Someone who is over 18 would, in my opinion, be more mature and more likely to do a good job babysitting.

That's where you're wrong. Child molestation are committed by adults more often, not the teenage babysitters. Most baby-sitting sessions are a few hours, not a week.

A responsible teenage babysitter can take care of a baby properly in a short period, but not a long period.

The bottom line, adults are very deceptive.

Many people knew who to trust, but some of them get betrayed by touching their children for sexual pleasure. It is a FACT that many child molesters are trusted friends or relatives of the family.

Apparently we realize the 'facts' of what has materialized with trusted family members that has occurred elsewhere...YET, why keep bringing up about the facts, etc...like there's no end to what you're trying to stipulate continuously...let me ask you this: Do you have any children and if so, HOW would you go about it when after all that you have commented on in terms of family members, etc.?

God can't protect your children, only you can. God is only there to give you faith, the rest is up to you.

It looks like you have an entirely different view of who and what God is, with faith and trusting in the Lord God, He can provide protection and guidance for the children of true and faithful believers (parents)...I am not condoning for whatever you may believe in...in regards to the Almighty God...but for 'us', we tend to believe 'our' children can be watched over and protected in more ways than those who don't rely or have God in their life or not allowing Him to be in their lives daily....indeed, the 'rest' may be upon ourselves...teaching and admonishing our children to learn and live without having 'fear' of anyone, giving them the kind of support/rapport and what they need to do when someone, especially any other family member(s) approach them in a wrongful way....

The point is, sometimes we think we know people well enough to invest your trust into but turn out to be a bad investment. This is the majority cause in the majority of child molestation cases because people made errors in judging people.

Considering the majority is a very SMALL percentage of the TOTAL cases which have been reported involving circumstances surrounding babysitters compared to what's taken place in daycares, etc...the reason possible is that we seem to read or hear more of a family member, etc. acting out wrongfully is simply because it's deplorable and down-right disgusting which tends to implicate much media attention, etc....more so than in cases where it happens like in a daycare, etc.,....

I'm sorry, but that is what life's about. People make mistakes and learn from them because they depend too much on the others when they should depended on themselves more.

We all have made mistakes and continue to do so, we'll hopefully have learn positively and adjust accordingly from our own mistakes...but that don't mean we have to be depending on ourselves much more...where 'faith and trust' is instilled in the lives of those who dearly entrust oneself and love ones to the 'One' above...is how life CAN be and WILL be for those who allow to live in this way....

Judgment is usually no good because child molesters are very difficult to identify because they are so well at hiding their true images.

Hmm...usually no good??? Growing up or raising up with either parents or siblings don't account for any judgement? *shakin' my head* Perhaps with strangers, etc...whereas the better part of our own judgements of them may not be so good then...!

Sad, isn't it?

Of course it is sad anytime a certain family we may hear or read about had another family member or relative served cruel injustice to their own child(ren)....

Lastly, life isn't gift-wrapped carefully, it does comes with several risks...although each of us is bestowed with certain elements and instincts to be able to 'judge wisely' and each of us have our own opinions for whom we can entrust with to care and watch our child(ren)....

Back