Parents want hearing school to get state funding

Or make the taxpayers pay for her private education.

Nope, that is my job. If there an an appropriate program available and the district can't provide it, it IS my job to make the district pay for it.

It's the oral only who need to change their philosophy and actually allow their kids around ASL... and yes they need to hire a teamwork of people working with CI.

I hate the elist attitude by the oralist..."Pls do not do that with your hands around my child."

:barf:

WRONG, the IEP TEAM decides what is appropriate, and I am a 50% stakeholder in the IEP team. They get a vote, and I get a vote. In fact, I am the strongest member becaue they can not change the IEP without my permission, but I can unilaterially move my child or pull them out of school completely.

Actually, the IEP team is responsible for deciding accommodations and goals and monitoring progress in goals.

Let's see...you go into an IEP meeting; you have a group of people sitting there. There is usually an administrator, in the form of a priniciple, you have a regular classroom teacher, you have a special ed teacher, and an SLP that works for the school system. Then you have a parent. How do you figure that you are a 50% stakeholder?

Yeah, you can refuse changes in the IEP. Then it goes to due process. Depending upon your reasoning for not signing off, you have a greater chance of loosing in due process than in winning. The school system has lawyers on retainer just for these cases. In the meantime, your child remains in that school under the IEP as written without your signature, or you move and put the child in another district, which invalidates the IEP and you start the process all over again.

This is not how I raise my child, but the argument is this:

A Deaf school has ASL as the language of instruction. The oral child does not know or use ASL. To place them in the ASL enviroment would not be the LRE because they do not know or use the language. They need a placement that uses THEIR language, spoken English as the language of instruction.

You can not require that a parent to change their child's language and mode of communication to fit your school. You must provide the LRE for the child.

Even if the language the parents chose is the most restrictive one to the child?

:hmm:

Nope, that is my job. If there an an appropriate program available and the district can't provide it, it IS my job to make the district pay for it.

Not when it is a private program and the home school can show that they are providing accommodation for the oral child. It is your job to pay for that private placement.

Not when it is a private program and the home school can show that they are providing accommodation for the oral child. It is your job to pay for that private placement.

Nope, there is case law to back up districts paying for a PRIVATE option, if a suitable LRE is not available. Sorry that you don't like it, but it happens every single day.

Even if the language the parents chose is the most restrictive one to the child?

There you go! The parent chooses a restrictive linguitic environment, and then wants someone else to pay for the consequences of their decision.

Nope, there is case law to back up districts paying for a PRIVATE option, if a suitable LRE is not available. Sorry that you don't like it, but it happens every single day.

Cite that case law, please.

I want to see the case where a school district has paid for a private oral school when the home school was already providing accommodations for the oral student. And, where they have provided for private placement to a school that was not on their contract list.

Like I said before, each case is decided on an individual basis. Just because placement was found to be necessary for one child does not mean that it is something that every oral student is entitled to. That is why I want to see the case law on it. There are no doubt variables in the individual cases that you are overlooking.

Actually, the IEP team is responsible for deciding accommodations and goals and monitoring progress in goals.

Let's see...you go into an IEP meeting; you have a group of people sitting there. There is usually an administrator, in the form of a priniciple, you have a regular classroom teacher, you have a special ed teacher, and an SLP that works for the school system. Then you have a parent. How do you figure that you are a 50% stakeholder?

Yeah, you can refuse changes in the IEP. Then it goes to due process. Depending upon your reasoning for not signing off, you have a greater chance of loosing in due process than in winning. The school system has lawyers on retainer just for these cases. In the meantime, your child remains in that school under the IEP as written without your signature, or you move and put the child in another district, which invalidates the IEP and you start the process all over again.

Because all those people get to make one joint recommendation for placement, and I get to make one as well. 50-50. If I refuse to sign, yes we move on to due process, but the IEP stays what it was before, they can't move her, she stays put.

Cite that case law, please.

I want to see the case where a school district has paid for a private oral school when the home school was already providing accommodations for the oral student. And, where they have provided for private placement to a school that was not on their contract list.

I didn't say if they had an oral program, I specifically said if they don't. You said the mainstream counts, I said it didn't.

That's isn't a consideration in most IEP's. The parents choice is final in that respect. And each person would define restrictive in different ways.

I didn't say if they had an oral program, I specifically said if they don't. You said the mainstream counts, I said it didn't.

I didn't say if they had an oral program, either. I said if accommodations were being made for the oral student in the home school. I'd still like to see that case law you said exists that shows that everyday, school systems are paying for private placement when accommodations are already being made.

Because all those people get to make one joint recommendation for placement, and I get to make one as well. 50-50. If I refuse to sign, yes we move on to due process, but the IEP stays what it was before, they can't move her, she stays put.

You should ALWAYS sign the IEP and, if necessary, note that you disagree. Not signing does not mean you do not agree. In fact, it can be seen as agreement by some.

Ask the Advocate: Parent Threats - Refusing to Sign the IEP by Pat Howey - Wrightslaw

I hate to tell you, but your voice opposing all the members of the school system's voices is not 50-50.

Exactly. So the kid stays under the ineffective IEP while you go to due process. And then, chances are greater that you will loose due process than that you will win.

FJ, I was placed in an oral deaf ed program as a toddler and when I became of school-age, I was sent to my local school to be mainstreamed because the language of instruction was in my language.

If my parents wanted me to go to a private oral school, then they would have to shell out the costs for it.

That's isn't a consideration in most IEP's. The parents choice is final in that respect. And each person would define restrictive in different ways.

The child's language is always a consideration in the IEP.

I meant that it is not an item up for review at an IEP. The child's language is a decision made solely by the family.

Even if the child doesnt have full access to the language?

FJ, I was placed in an oral deaf ed program as a toddler and when I became of school-age, I was sent to my local school to be mainstreamed because the language of instruction was in my language.

If my parents wanted me to go to a private oral school, then they would have to shell out the costs for it.

That's the way it works.

Back