Parents want hearing school to get state funding

I think the parents can ask the taxpayers to foot the bill. Just not EXPECT them to.

After all, if no one asks, how would the tax payers know where to put the money in or where it is needed the most?

I know that is odd, and knowing how to sign language the child would be able to to sign with other children and she could have more friends . Some people are really hung up about having a child sign. The parents are cutting their child off from other kids.

Yep. And then they want to demand that everyone else foot the bill for their decision.

Well, since you seem to be so insistent that taxpayers should foot the bill for a parent's decision, it could be directed at you. Or at the parents in the OP. And., after all, just a couple of days ago you stated that the purpose of a child being oral was so they could participate in programs with few accommodations. The mainstream provides those few accommodations. So, your purpose has been fulfilled. Can't have it both ways.

And the child will be mainstreamed when they are ready, but until they are they need a specialized education.

No, the previous IEP is what continues, not the new one.

And the previous one is outdated. So what is the purpose of continuing under an IEP where the goals have been met? Still, the school system is doing exactly what they want to do without the parent's permission.

I'm postive. I'm sitting in St. Lois right now. They are private schools to which the districts pay the tution because they can not provide an appropriate placement. The law clearly allows for public districts to pay for private school placements if they can not provide appropriate services.

According to this, There is a tuition to pay for The Moog School. I checked into it, when I lived just outside of St. Louis.
http://www.moogcenter.org/AboutMoog/Admission/tabid/156/Default.aspx
Admission
The primary criterion for admission into our program is that our program can benefit the child. Typically that means that the child has a significant enough hearing loss and language delay to need the kind of special education program we offer and demonstrates a potential for learning to talk.

The first step for admission to our program is to contact Betsy Moog Brooks, Director of the Family School and the Moog School. She will talk with parents about their child and will explain what our program has to offer. As part of the admission process, parents will be asked to send information regarding their child's program and spoken language skills. If the child is over age three, an evaluation will be scheduled along with a tour of the school. The more information we have about the child, the better we will be able to advise parents regarding what our program has to offer. Parents may contact Betsy by calling (314) 692-7172 or by email bbrooks@moogcenter.org.

Tuition

Parents with children under age three are eligible for Early Intervention through Missouri First Steps or Illinois Child and Family Connections, state programs that provide financial support for children from birth to age three. The tuition for the School program for the 2008-2009 school year is $24,950. Financial aid is available.

Financial Aid

Financial aid is based on need and families who need support are encouraged to complete a financial aid application. We also work with families to identify additional sources to help provide financial support.

According to this, There is a tuition to pay for The Moog School. I checked into it, when I lived just outside of St. Louis.
Admission
Admission
The primary criterion for admission into our program is that our program can benefit the child. Typically that means that the child has a significant enough hearing loss and language delay to need the kind of special education program we offer and demonstrates a potential for learning to talk.

The first step for admission to our program is to contact Betsy Moog Brooks, Director of the Family School and the Moog School. She will talk with parents about their child and will explain what our program has to offer. As part of the admission process, parents will be asked to send information regarding their child's program and spoken language skills. If the child is over age three, an evaluation will be scheduled along with a tour of the school. The more information we have about the child, the better we will be able to advise parents regarding what our program has to offer. Parents may contact Betsy by calling (314) 692-7172 or by email bbrooks@moogcenter.org.

Tuition

Parents with children under age three are eligible for Early Intervention through Missouri First Steps or Illinois Child and Family Connections, state programs that provide financial support for children from birth to age three. The tuition for the School program for the 2008-2009 school year is $24,950. Financial aid is available.

Financial Aid

Financial aid is based on need and families who need support are encouraged to complete a financial aid application. We also work with families to identify additional sources to help provide financial support.

It is a private school, so there is tution, but clearly birth to 3 they can go there and the state pays. Also, they told me that the schools contract (just like birth to three) for the kids to go there, and that is one of the "additional sources" that provide support.

From the CID website:

For deaf and hard of hearing children accepted into the CID school, scholarship support and other financial aid typically is available. Thanks to generous private support, we turn no hearing-impaired child away based on inability to pay.

Children birth-3 years old in our Family Center are typically supported by Missouri First Steps and Illinois Child and Family Connections programs. Our parent counselors will guide you through the process of obtaining help. Families of older children (3-12) receive school district funding and/or tuition assistance made possible by generous donors to CID.

A number of school districts from a number of states contract with CID for an appropriate educational program for a child. CID assists families in accessing all available third-party resources. Real estate referrals and other assistance is available for families whose children are accepted into the CID school and who move from other locations.

Yep. And then they want to demand that everyone else foot the bill for their decision.

Yeah , that it is where is get tough. Money it still tight everywhere , states
are making cut every where and the schools get cuts first. I think the parents have a battle on their hands , they should have state representative
try to help them .

Admission
Admission

Tuition

Financial Aid

Isn't the Moog School a charter school?

Yes. Under age 3. The parents in the OP have already received services for early intervention under this.

Isn't the Moog School a charter school?

I believe it is. As far as I know there were no state or federally funded private schools in the St. Louis area for all grades. I lived around there for 2 years and was researching quite a bit.

The First Steps program is a fantastic program and really helped with my daughter. Services and help stopped after she was put into an ECSE Preschool at a public school. Daughter wasn't having hearing problems then, it was speech. She could not talk until she was 5 or 6. Oral and Facial muscle control issues related to birth. We had to exercise and train the muscles to work before she could speak.

I believe it is. As far as I know there were no state or federally funded private schools in the St. Louis area for all grades. I lived around there for 2 years and was researching quite a bit.

The First Steps program is a fantastic program and really helped with my daughter. Services and help stopped after she was put into an ECSE Preschool at a public school. Daughter wasn't having hearing problems then, it was speech. She could not talk until she was 5 or 6. Oral and Facial muscle control issues related to birth. We had to exercise and train the muscles to work before she could speak.

Ahh, got it. Yeah, since Early Intervention is funded differently different stiplations apply.

Nope, that is my job. If there an an appropriate program available and the district can't provide it, it IS my job to make the district pay for it.
Just to clarify, when you state that the district will pay for it, you mean the taxpayers will pay for it. School districts use taxpayer money for their programs.

When government entities pay for services you have to expect strings to be attached.

Just to clarify, when you state that the district will pay for it, you mean the taxpayers will pay for it. School districts use taxpayer money for their programs.

When government entities pay for services you have to expect strings to be attached.

True. And even when a child is sent out of district, the home district school is still overseeing everything. They still attend all IEPs and if it is determined that the child is not making significantly greater progress under the out of district program, they can take the funding away and refuse to pay for that child to continue in the program.

I didn't say if they had an oral program, either. I said if accommodations were being made for the oral student in the home school. I'd still like to see that case law you said exists that shows that everyday, school systems are paying for private placement when accommodations are already being made.

Here is a case (not deaf) where the school wanted to provide a modified mainstream setting but the parents enrolled the child in a private school and they paid for it.

http://users.rcn.com/peregrin.enteract/add/carter.txt

"In other words,
school systems are to provide the children with an appropriate special
education instead of drawing lines in the sand and adopting a take it or leave
it attitude. As the result of Carter, school systems are revising and taking
another look at the continuum of special education alternatives that they are
required to offer to handicapped children. In the Second Circuit, when parents
placed children into appropriate private special education programs that were
not on the states "approved" list and if the public school had defaulted in
providing an appropriate education, the parents could not be reimbursed. In
the Second Circuit, the private education was appropriate, but it was not
free. In the Fourth Circuit, pursuant to Carter, given similar facts, the
private school education was appropriate and free. The U. S. Supreme Court
has affirmed this Court's ruling that a special education program should be
appropriate and also be free. "

The school wanted TC but parents won the right to place the child at a private oral school, and have the school pay:

http://www.listen-up.org/dnload/1383.pdf

The school proided a TC placement and the parents moved the child to a private school and were ordered to pay tution.

http://www.listen-up.org/dnload/593.pdf

"In Burlington School Comm. v. Mass. Dept. of Ed. (1983) 471 U.S. 359, the
U.S. Supreme Court held that parents of disabled children may receive
retroactive reimbursement for the tuition and related expenses of unilaterally
placing their child in a private special education program. Such reimbursement
is an appropriate remedy where the school district has failed to provide the
child with a FAPE and the private placement is determined to be proper under
the Act and reasonably calculated to provide educational benefit to the child."

Here is a case (not deaf) where the school wanted to provide a modified mainstream setting but the parents enrolled the child in a private school and they paid for it.

http://users.rcn.com/peregrin.enteract/add/carter.txt

"In other words,
school systems are to provide the children with an appropriate special
education instead of drawing lines in the sand and adopting a take it or leave
it attitude. As the result of Carter, school systems are revising and taking
another look at the continuum of special education alternatives that they are
required to offer to handicapped children. In the Second Circuit, when parents
placed children into appropriate private special education programs that were
not on the states "approved" list and if the public school had defaulted in
providing an appropriate education, the parents could not be reimbursed. In
the Second Circuit, the private education was appropriate, but it was not
free. In the Fourth Circuit, pursuant to Carter, given similar facts, the
private school education was appropriate and free. The U. S. Supreme Court
has affirmed this Court's ruling that a special education program should be
appropriate and also be free. "

This case is hardly comparable to the case in the OP. This is a case of misdiagnosis.

In 1983, Florence County School District Four evaluated and misdiagnosed
fifteen year old Shannon Carter as lazy, unmotivated and a slow learner and
told her parents to make her work harder. Her parents pressured her to the
point that she became severely depressed and suicidal. In 1985, the inter-
vention of Linda Summer, a licensed clinical social worker versed in the field
of learning disabilities, changed Shannon's life. Ms. Summer suspected that
Shannon had a learning disability and an attention deficit disorder. An
extensive battery of evaluations were performed which resulted in Florence
County School District Four admitting that Shannon was indeed learning
disabled and had an attention deficit disorder. In 1983, District Four had
used an uncertified evaluator and had failed to follow the proper procedures
for evaluating children suspected of having a learning disability. Shannon
had almost taken her life.

This has absolutely nothing to do with a school system providing accommodation and the parent demanding a private placement.

The school wanted TC but parents won the right to place the child at a private oral school, and have the school pay:

http://www.listen-up.org/dnload/1383.pdf

The school proided a TC placement and the parents moved the child to a private school and were ordered to pay tution.

http://www.listen-up.org/dnload/593.pdf

"In Burlington School Comm. v. Mass. Dept. of Ed. (1983) 471 U.S. 359, the
U.S. Supreme Court held that parents of disabled children may receive
retroactive reimbursement for the tuition and related expenses of unilaterally
placing their child in a private special education program. Such reimbursement
is an appropriate remedy where the school district has failed to provide the
child with a FAPE and the private placement is determined to be proper under
the Act and reasonably calculated to provide educational benefit to the child."

Gonna need a link so I can actually read case law on this one. The listen up link doesn't work. But I need a link that will allow me to view the case and the documents regarding the courts decision. The quote that you have given me doesn't say anything about TC or oral placement. Few public school systems offer TC as first alternative. This is about being retroactively reimbursed for placing their child in a private school while the case was decided.

This case is hardly comparable to the case in the OP. This is a case of misdiagnosis.

In 1983, Florence County School District Four evaluated and misdiagnosed
fifteen year old Shannon Carter as lazy, unmotivated and a slow learner and
told her parents to make her work harder. Her parents pressured her to the
point that she became severely depressed and suicidal. In 1985, the inter-
vention of Linda Summer, a licensed clinical social worker versed in the field
of learning disabilities, changed Shannon's life. Ms. Summer suspected that
Shannon had a learning disability and an attention deficit disorder. An
extensive battery of evaluations were performed which resulted in Florence
County School District Four admitting that Shannon was indeed learning
disabled and had an attention deficit disorder. In 1983, District Four had
used an uncertified evaluator and had failed to follow the proper procedures
for evaluating children suspected of having a learning disability. Shannon
had almost taken her life.

This has absolutely nothing to do with a school system providing accommodation and the parent demanding a private placement.

And once she was properly dx'ed she was offered a placement, a modified mainstream, and her parents moved her to a private school and the school was ordered to pay for it. That is exactly what we are talking about.

Back