Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rockdrummer:

I've been a part of sexual abuse in the schools - I've also been subpoenaed to courts to testify of the abuse.

And yes, I would send my kid off to a deaf school in an instant. I wouldn't think twice about the abuse.

Rockdrummer:

I've been a part of sexual abuse in the schools - I've also been subpoenaed to courts to testify of the abuse.

And yes, I would send my kid off to a deaf school in an instant. I wouldn't think twice about the abuse.

Even though I'd send my deaf kids to deaf schools, I'd also want to make sdamn sure no one takes advangtage of them. I'm sure you're the same way.

Also, you have to consider that English is the 2nd language for most deaf children and even if its their first language, deaf children dont have full access to it like hearing children do. That's probably the biggest factor why they shouldnt be compared to hearing kids when it comes to reading and writing. They will catch up if given the right teaching approach. Sitting in front of a classroom full of 30 kids while the teacher is talking will not cut it. That's why I strongly believe in developing a strong first language in ASL so they wont be behind with congnitive development due to having no first language...that's the worst thing anyone can do to a child...not give them full access to a language and Deaf schools provide that.

I wouldnt put my child in the dorms, not because of the sexual abuse, because I like having my child at home with me in the evenings.

Rockdrummer:

:hug: Well said and this takes courage to say this.

My family has been a part of the sexual abuse cycle; this comes from the deaf school system- the residential dormitories.

To this day, my parents still regale their experiences to us. We grew up living their horror stories and each time we went to their alumni reunions, we would know which housemother/father and teacher did "this" and "that" to each of our parents & aunts/uncles as well as our parents' close friends.

Our parents & aunts/uncles and their close friends are able to look past the sexual abuse but their children including us aren't able to because we grew up being inundated with explicit sexual abuse stories.

Now, my oldest sister has placed her children in the Deaf school system; did we all react in shock? No. It was because we knew they were in a much better system.

In the past, there were uneducated hearing educators who thought they knew the best with the deaf children and took advantage of those children so far away from home. Now the tables have turned, it is the deaf educators that are teaching deaf children living no farther than an hour or two away from home. Those living almost 8 hours away from home gets a charter flight to home hence no more than 2 hours each way just like the school bus.

The community has experienced so much abuse, hate, ignorance from the outer communities yet shares so much passion towards each other inside our own community. It isn't a surprise we are a tight-knit community.

For you, my dear, thank you so much for sharing personal insight about this sensitive side that not many people are willing to share. :hug:

WTF? Am I understanding you guys correctly. Are you suggesting that it's ok to be exposed to sexual abuse at deaf schools because you think it's a better education? Am I understanding that correctly? If that is what you are saying I am sorry but that is where we will have to agree to disagree. That is just unacceptable and any parent that knowingly exposed their child to sexual abuse in the interest of what they percieve as a better education should be severly slapped and have their child put into someone elses care. While I am no expert I have heard stories about sexual abuse and the impact it has on someones life not to mention the impact it will have on their ability to focus and learn. It is not acceptable under any circumstances and it is not a risk I am willing to take with my child.

Rockdrummer:

You can't be serious. Think about it. I am sorry but there is NO school that is worth putting a child through any form of abuse. Now read through the facts below and tell me that as an abused person yourself that you really would not think twice about the abuse.

Source:Sexual Abuse Effects
Emotional and Physical Sexual Abuse Effects:

Molested children suffer many losses, including:

• self-esteem and self-worth
  • trust
  • childhood, including the opportunity to play and learn
  • the opportunity for normal growth and development
  • intimacy
  • control over his/her body
  • normal loving and nurturing
  • safety and security
  • Behavioural Sexual Abuse Effects:
  • nightmares, phobias, and regressive behaviours such as thumb-sucking and bed-wetting
  • learning problems
  • clinging and smothering
  • insecurity, which put the child at risk for further abuse and exploitation
  • psychosomatic complaints such as stomachaches and headaches
  • precocious sexual activity--a young child knows more than they should about sexual activity; child may exhibit seductive behaviour
FACT: 17% of abused children exhibit age inappropriate sexual behaviour (Trocme & Wolfe, 2001, p.283).

FACT: Of the sexual abuse effects exhibited, sexualized behaviour is the most consistent indicator of sexual abuse (Cavanagh Johnson et. al., 1995, pp.50-514).

• with young children, a preoccupation with sexual organs of self, parents and others--often this shows itself in language and art
  • aggression and bullying behaviours
FACT: 14% of abused children exhibit behaviour problems (Trocme & Wolfe, 2001, p.285).

• sudden changes in eating and/or sleeping habits
  • depression and anxiety
FACT: 29% of abuse children exhibit depression or anxiety (Trocme & Wolfe, 2001, p.286).

• refusal to change clothes in front of others
  • isolation
  • obsessively good behaviour
  • obsessed with cleanliness
  • relationship problems
FACT: 13% of abused children exhibit negative peer involvement (Trocme & Wolfe, 2001, p.287).

• anti-social behaviour
  • unwillingness to participate in social activities
  • running away
FACT: 85% of runaways in Toronto have been sexually abused(Conference on Child Victimization & Child Offending, 20008).

• truancy / long absence from school

FACT: 10% of abused children have irregular school attendance (Trocme & Wolfe, 2001, p.289).

• long absence from participation in extracurricular activities
  • dissociation--a child's existence is dependent on his/her ability to separate from the pain, which, in the most repulsive cases, may result in multiple personalities
  • risky behaviours such as firestarting, stealing and other delinquencies
  • animal cruelty
  • alcohol and drug abuse
FACT: According to the Conference on Child Victimization & Child Offending (200010), sexual abuse effects on children with a history of molestation reflect that they are seven times more likely to become drug/alcohol dependent

FACT: In a sexual abuse effects study of 938 adolescents admitted to residential, therapeutic communities for the treatment of substance abuse and related disorders, 64% of the girls and 24% of the boys reported histories of sexual abuse (Hawke, Jainchill, & DeLeon, 2000, pp.35-4711).

• dysfunctional relationships
  • avoiding confrontation
  • self-harm, including cutting and burning
  • paranoid behaviour
FACT: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is one of the sexual abuse effects that plague sexually abused children and adult survivors of child abuse. Symptoms experienced are similar to those experienced by Vietnam veterans and may include sleep disturbances, anxiety and depression, which negatively impact on their daily psychosocial functioning and for which many seek professional help (Wiehe, 1998, p.5012).

• preoccupation with sex
  • promiscuous behaviour
  • compulsive and aggressive sexual behaviours
  • self-destructive sexual behaviour and prostitution
FACT: 98% of female street youth in British Columbia reported being victims of physical or sexual abuse as compared to 32% of female youths in schools. 59% of male street youth reported being victims of physical or sexual abuse as compared to 15% of male youth in schools (Beauvais et al., 2001, p.6213).

• in adulthood, sexual dysfunction--avoidance of or phobic reactions to sexual intimacy
  • becomes the abuser
FACT: Studies done by Haywood, Kravitz, Wasyliw, Goldberg and Cavanaugh in 1996 reflect some disturbing sexual abuse effects. The study found that the odds of becoming a child molester were 5.43 times greater for adult male victims of childhood sexual abuse than for adult male non-victims (Lee, Jackson, Pattison, & Ward, 2002, p.8814).

• attempted and completed suicide
FACT: Children with a history of sexual molestation are ten times more likely to attempt suicide (Conference on Child Victimization & Child Offending, 200015).

Sexual abuse effects on the child or youth are connected to the child/youth's life before, during and after the sexual contact. We must understand that the effects apply every bit as much to the disclosure and intervention as it does to the abuse itself. Sexual abuse effects continue long after the abuse stops.

I understand, RD how you feel about the sexual abuse. I did not have experience about it while I went to the day programs deaf school.

I only speak for my hubby, i know he will kill me if he reads it. He went to hearing school all his life. He did very well in school but his social life did not do well. Everyone had been picking on him for years. so where have those teachers been? same things what you heard about the sexual abuse incidents with the deaf residental schools. I think nowaday those schools are more aware and be alert to make sure kids are safe. PLUS it is very important for the parents to have communicate with kids like they are in kids lives. I know its tough. I do worry about my own hearing kids that i have no idea what s going on with what those teachers or staffs to do with them in school when they are afraid of teachers or staffs alleging threatening to them. My kids might not tell me. I do check with my kids completely each day to see whats new with kids school. They usually tell me which classes or recesses. One of those days, I would not be surprised that they will make fun of my kids for being different because of their deaf parents or those kids are more understanding than years ago. I sure hope that they dont make fun of my kids. two of kids' teammate, kid came to me and signed it to me. There are every PROS and CONS. Communication is the key. :|

Last edited by a moderator:
With all that has been said I know not all deaf schools are bad just as not all hearing schools are bad. What I believe is that residential schools are going to be more likley to have problems with abuse and that problem is compounded when the child/parent are seperated for long periods where they can't see or communicate with each other.

I am sure there are many mainstream schools that offer good deaf ed programs just as there are many that don't. I am sure there are deaf schools that have problems with abuse just as I am sure there are many that don't.

The bottom line for me is that the choice should be up to the parent and they need to do their homework in terms of the programs that are offered and also investigate the school for reports of abuse. The information is readily available for those that seek it out.

I understand, RD how you feel about the sexual abuse. I did not have experience about it while I went to the day programs deaf school.

I only speak for my hubby, i know he will kill me if he reads it. He went to hearing school all his life. He did very well in school but his social life did not do well. Everyone had been picking on him for years. so where have those teachers been? same things what you heard about the sexual abuse incidents with the deaf residental schools. I think nowaday those schools are more aware and be alert to make sure kids are safe. PLUS it is very important for the parents to have communicate with kids like they are in kids lives. I know its tough. I do worry about my own hearing kids that i have no idea what s going on with them in school. I wouldnt be surprised that they will make fun of my kids for being different because of their deaf parents. so there are every PROS and CONS. Communication is the key. :|
I was an outcast for most of my high school years. I was picked on but never abused. I would not compare the two. They are quite different. Being picked on happens to everyone at some point and it is not the same as sexual abuse. And I am sorry to disagree with you about nowadays things are different because they are not. The reports of deaf schools with abuse prroblems is current. Check the sources that I have provided and see for yourself.

Yeah. I understand. If i had a deaf kid, i would not put deaf kid in the residental schools but i will move to get closer to school. I rather have my kids to be with me since I gave birth to babies therefore it's my way of raising them and send them to the deaf schools. Lots of Deaf friends of mine who i went to, High school and college with. They found out that their deaf kids, and they did move where deaf schools are nearby and send them to deaf school instead of putting them in the residental schools. i like the residental schools because some deaf kids who have parents who are not willing to be part of kids' lives so they deserve better going to the residental schools where they can get plenty of attentions and have better social life there. Some of them can sleep over friends' house instead of going home during the weekend. it's about parents decisions. Of course Parents need to take closer look at the residental schools to make sure the enire things that are safe. I know it's tough.

I was an outcast for most of my high school years. I was picked on but never abused. I would not compare the two. They are quite different. Being picked on happens to everyone at some point and it is not the same as sexual abuse. And I am sorry to disagree with you about nowadays things are different because they are not. The reports of deaf schools with abuse prroblems is current. Check the sources that I have provided and see for yourself.

Right, I had no idea what they did it to my hubby when he was a kid. He didn't tell me the detailed stories. I could tell that he had bad experiences about it.

Umm, I will check into it since my kids are hearing. I didnt pay attention to the deaf schools lately but i would like to check into it. If its nowaday then i would be disappointed. Apparently they hire the bad supervisors for the residental schools.

I am going to have to pipe up here...

But sexual and physical abuse among deaf and other so-called "disabled" is common in the mainstream as well, even nowadays. Just a lot of us don't want to speak up about it, or don't want to go to court over it. So, it's not just residential schools and Deaf schools. It's just pricks who think they can get away with things.

I am going to have to pipe up here...

But sexual and physical abuse among deaf and other so-called "disabled" is common in the mainstream as well, even nowadays. Just a lot of us don't want to speak up about it, or don't want to go to court over it. So, it's not just residential schools and Deaf schools. It's just pricks who think they can get away with things.
Agreed but for me if a school has reported sexual abuse then I can assure you my child will not be going there. I also believe it is more likley to happen at residential programs simply becuase there is more opportunity.

WTF? Am I understanding you guys correctly. Are you suggesting that it's ok to be exposed to sexual abuse at deaf schools because you think it's a better education? Am I understanding that correctly? If that is what you are saying I am sorry but that is where we will have to agree to disagree. That is just unacceptable and any parent that knowingly exposed their child to sexual abuse in the interest of what they percieve as a better education should be severly slapped and have their child put into someone elses care. While I am no expert I have heard stories about sexual abuse and the impact it has on someones life not to mention the impact it will have on their ability to focus and learn. It is not acceptable under any circumstances and it is not a risk I am willing to take with my child.

actually, most sexual abuse come from home. you are far more likely to be sexually abused from your relatives than you are from deaf school.

Churches also have their share of abuse as well . Nothing is guaranteed. all you can do is make sure they have better security no matter where they are. We take action to prevent it from happening in deaf schools. We don't avoid deaf school as we know it can happen anywhere. You just can't keep your child home out of fear. But i don't know if you are referring to residential deaf school or not. Personally, I wouldn't go to residential route even though my grandma's three deaf sisters did. It was better for them anyhow because their father was very harsh in punishment.

Agreed but for me if a school has reported sexual abuse then I can assure you my child will not be going there. I also believe it is more likley to happen at residential programs simply becuase there is more opportunity.

Just because it is a non-residential deaf school doesn't mean there's abuse going on. No more than any other schools.
No, we don't let anyone take advantage of us if we were educated how to protect ourselves. Just like how hearing kids are taught not to take candies from strangers in school.

In the 10 plus years I have worked at different deaf schools, I have never heard of any abuse reported while I was there and my brother grew up going to one. No problems there. Just like I had no problems being sexually abused while mainstreamed but other kids were sexually abused by teachers at other public schools. Does that mean all pubic schools carry a risk for sexual abuse...yes. So do Deaf schools..so do churches, so do sports groups and Boy Scouts..the list goes on.

Lighthouse made a good point.

lol. If it was reported - more likely it wouldn't be happening at that specific school. Just a food for thought.

The cultural development far offsets the education you get in any school.

90% of your learnings are not in the school itself, its in the real world.

(shrug)

In the 10 plus years I have worked at different deaf schools, I have never heard of any abuse reported while I was there and my brother grew up going to one. No problems there. Just like I had no problems being sexually abused while mainstreamed but other kids were sexually abused by teachers at other public schools. Does that mean all pubic schools carry a risk for sexual abuse...yes. So do Deaf schools..so do churches, so do sports groups and Boy Scouts..the list goes on.

Lighthouse made a good point.
Just because you never heard of them doesn't mean they didn't happen. I have provided sources and the names of schools and these are recent reports.

Just because you never heard of them doesn't mean they didn't happen. I have provided sources and the names of schools and these are recent reports.

I know but it seems like you are making it sound like all deaf schools are dangerous for the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back