Parent and HA/CI issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audiofuzzy said:
stop confusing the rest of the people here about ME, please.

Don't worry, we know it's just SM being SM :whistle:

Audiofuzzy said:
You were implanted at the age of nine?

then you are in the group that receive LESS benefits from CI when it comes to understand speech.

You were implanted TOO LATE.

You hear sound but you have problem understanding them - and yes at this age you have to RE-LEARN how to hear!!!

Sweetmind buy yourself glasses:

I AM PRO-ASL

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy,

You have said that you are pro-ASL. I don't believe you. If you are pro-ASL, then you would understand this video.

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27925&page=1&pp=20

I can't enjoy it
It does not have CC and I can't hear nor sign.

Fuzzy

In this quote, you said you can't hear nor SIGN

Quote:
Seriously, this is one reason I promote ASL.

But I do NOT sign, and since you complain there is no ASL used nationwide I complain why there is no CC everywhere? I demand to have CC on everything, period.

What about rights of HoH?
Are you going to force your ASL on me NOW?

Fuzzy

Again, you said you do not SIGN

Sweetmind is right all along about you and you are a fibber! If you don't sign, then don't say you are a pro-ASL.
And also, stop acting as if you know CI cos you don't have one nor experience one. You said you wears two hearing aid and why are you :blah: :blah: about CI? You are not an expert on CI so stop acting like a Mrs Know-it-all.

Thanks
Koala

Koala
Audiofuzzy,

You have said that you are pro-ASL. I don't believe you. If you are pro-ASL, then you would understand this video.
:dunno:

Having a favourable opinion on ASL has no bearing on a persons ability to sign or understand ASL.

Yep. Obviously Koala do not understands what "PRO" means.
Educate yourself on the subject before you put your foot in your mouth.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
pro-
2 entries found for pro-.
To select an entry, click on it.
pro-[1,prefix]pro-[2,prefix]

Main Entry: 2pro-
Function: prefix
Etymology: Latin pro in front of, before, for, forward -- more at FOR
1 : taking the place of : substituting for <procathedral> <procaine>
2 : favoring : supporting : championing <pro-American>

Fuzzy

loml said:
Koala

Having a favourable opinion on ASL has no bearing on a persons ability to sign or understand ASL.
agreed

Audiofuzzy said:
Yep. Obviously Koala do not understands what "PRO" means.
Educate yourself on the subject before you put your foot in your mouth.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
pro-
2 entries found for pro-.
To select an entry, click on it.
pro-[1,prefix]pro-[2,prefix]

Main Entry: 2pro-
Function: prefix
Etymology: Latin pro in front of, before, for, forward -- more at FOR
1 : taking the place of : substituting for <procathedral> <procaine>
2 : favoring : supporting : championing <pro-American>

Fuzzy
exactly what I thought...

Koala said:
Audiofuzzy,

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27925&page=1&pp=20

In this quote, you said you can't hear nor SIGN

Sweetmind is right all along about you and you are a fibber! If you don't sign, then don't say you are a pro-ASL.
And also, stop acting as if you know CI cos you don't have one nor experience one. You said you wears two hearing aid and why are you :blah: :blah: about CI? You are not an expert on CI so stop acting like a Mrs Know-it-all.

Thanks
Koala

methinks you need to learn to read a dicitonary before you start making accusations. Assuming things only makes YOU look foolish.

Audiofuzzy.

I think you are being fuzzy.

fuzz·y (fz) KEY

ADJECTIVE:
fuzz·i·er , fuzz·i·est
1. Covered with fuzz.
2. Of or resembling fuzz.
3. Not clear; indistinct: a fuzzy recollection of past events.
4. Not coherent; confused: a fuzzy plan of action.
Source: Yahoo Dictionary
If you are pro-ASL, how comes you never sign any advanced sign language in ASL? Come on, lady. I know you can hear very fuzzy with your HA. Without HA, you may need to learn the facial expression.

If you want to show your body language, here is a good resource.

You need to arrange the international travel so that you really don't need to learn their foreign language. Use your own gesture. Who knows if you need a laid....

How hard is that? I know that your audio with HA can hear pretty good but please stop being so fuzzy yourself...

If Audiofuzzy is Pro-ASL, then why isn't she supporting ASL in children as their first language and if she loves ASL, then why isn't she learning it and supporting it.
Sound like she is more of Pro-CI than pro-ASL, the way she brags on about CI in children. She is more supporting the CI children to speech & hear than ASL. SO THERE!!

xqzme for repeating myself

Koala
If Audiofuzzy is Pro-ASL, then why isn't she supporting ASL in children as their first language and if she loves ASL, then why isn't she learning it and supporting it

loml
Having a favourable opinion on ASL has no bearing on a persons ability to sign or understand ASL

Koala said:
If Audiofuzzy is Pro-ASL, then why isn't she supporting ASL in children as their first language and if she loves ASL, then why isn't she learning it and supporting it.
Sound like she is more of Pro-CI than pro-ASL, the way she brags on about CI in children. She is more supporting the CI children to speech & hear than ASL. SO THERE!!

Leave Audiofuzzy alone then go focus on Kodak, as compared to your name. :crazy:

Yea!! He's pro-ASL

Koala said:

Uhhhhh you can have a CI and still learn ASL you know. Having a CI doesn't automatically disclude you from learning sign language. Almost every single person that I have seen here who supports CI's (in fact everyone that I can recall) also supports teaching children ASL so they have A FULL TOOLBOX OF COMMUNICATION TOOLS TO CHOOSE FROM/

Every parent I've seen here who has an implanted child also is making sure the children learn sign language, and learn about deaf culture. Somebody who supports ASL doesn't have to also agree that it should be the "first language" a child knows though.

My ASL isn't the best by far (I always favored SEE but that's because I knew English before I went deaf,) but I still support ASL, even though I have a CI.

I'd like to explain my stance on CI and ASL once and for all.

I believe in TOOLS from ANY direction. The more tools the better. The deaf live in hearing world, too, not only in our much smaller deaf culture.
And because of that I believe oral/CI/ written English and ASL is the best of two worlds. So why not have both?
Sometimes instead of going oral, IMO it is better to know written English plus ability to hear some with CI or HAs. For those who dislike speech.

Having daughter born in Canada into Polish family I know firsthand children are capable of picking up many languages at once.
ASL and Oral English is too like two languages, that can be learnt at once.

Polish/ English or any foreign/ English child later can choose what langauge will be its PRIMARY language. Quite a lot of kids use both languages with the same ease.

It is very possible that early implanted child will choose ASL and deaf culture regardless of its ability to hear and speak.

It is possible that UN-implanted child raised in deaf culture will choose CI and hearing society later on.

The only BIG FACTOR to be taken seriously under consideration with implants is that the best age for implant is between 0-3 years. For born deaf children who have no help from HAs -especially.

And that is because this is the age when the language developes.
Like a fetus in mother's womb during 9 months, so is the language developing in the baby's brain during first three years of life.

Whatever is undeveloped in the mother's womb, will be born as is.
If the fetus does not have arms, or legs it's unlikely it will grow them after being born.

It's the same with hearing - once the brain matures it won't absorb that much anymore..
That is why I am for early implantation if needed, and for teaching ASL and for keeping implanted kids in the deaf culture at the same time.

And I do understand SM's position on signing as natural language for and of the deaf baby. Of course it is, it makes perfect sense, and I agree.
A baby can be taught ASL since birth, implanted, and ASL STILL can go on - what's the problem?

I hope that explains my stance.

And now for the question:

If you are pro-ASL, how comes you never sign any advanced sign language in ASL?

Because of my life circumstances, OK?

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:

I believe in TOOLS from ANY direction. The more tools the better. The deaf live in hearing world, too, not only in our much smaller deaf culture.
And because of that I believe oral/CI/ written English and ASL is the best of two worlds. So why not have both?
Sometimes instead of going oral, IMO it is better to know written English plus ability to hear some with CI or HAs. For those who dislike speech.

Having daughter born in Canada into Polish family I know firsthand children are capable of picking up many languages at once.

Polish/ English or any foreign/ English child later can choose what langauge will be its PRIMARY language. Quite a lot of kids use both languages with the same ease.

It is very possible that early implanted child will choose ASL and deaf culture regardless of its ability to hear and speak.

It is possible that UN-implanted child raised in deaf culture will choose CI and hearing society later on.

The only BIG FACTOR to be taken seriously under consideration with implants is that the best age for implant is between 0-3 years. For born deaf children who have no help from HAs -especially.

Like a fetus in mother's womb during 9 months, so is the language developing in the baby's brain during first three years of life.

If the fetus does not have arms, or legs it's unlikely it will grow them after being born.

It's the same with hearing - once the brain matures it won't absorb that much anymore..
That is why I am for early implantation if needed, and for teaching ASL and for keeping implanted kids in the deaf culture at the same time.

And I do understand SM's position on signing as natural language for and of the deaf baby. Of course it is, it makes perfect sense, and I agree.
A baby can be taught ASL since birth, implanted, and ASL STILL can go on - what's the problem?

Fuzzy

Sorry for having to jump in here. My question to you is. Ever heard of practice what you preach?

People would be more apt to listen to a person that says he or she is pro-asl if in fact that person knew asl.

I believe that is the point they MAY be trying to make.

Bear

Audiofuzzy said:

Fuzzy

:gpost:

Bear said:
Sorry for having to jump in here. My question to you is. Ever heard of practice what you preach?

People would be more apt to listen to a person that says he or she is pro-asl if in fact that person knew asl.

I believe that is the point they MAY be trying to make.

Bear

I agree with Fuzzy's post - it describes my opinions pretty closely as well. Me, I'm trying to learn ASL now, but that's not an option for everyone. Learning a language is not something that just happens because you want it to; you have to find a good class or teacher, you have to have time to practice, and you have to have people to try out your language with. That's not easy for any language, particularly when you're no longer a student (which is one reason I feel motivated to learn *now*, while I'm still in college), but it's even harder when you're an adult with responsibilities, and harder still when it's a language that's not spoken by as many people as, say, Spanish. Not impossible; just difficult.

ASL isn't just a pidgin or a creole (though it shares some features with creoles), and as such, it does take an effort to become fluent. Not everyone has the time, resources, or opportunities to do so.

ismi said:
I agree with Fuzzy's post - it describes my opinions pretty closely as well. Me, I'm trying to learn ASL now, but that's not an option for everyone. Learning a language is not something that just happens because you want it to; you have to find a good class or teacher, you have to have time to practice, and you have to have people to try out your language with. That's not easy for any language, particularly when you're no longer a student (which is one reason I feel motivated to learn *now*, while I'm still in college), but it's even harder when you're an adult with responsibilities, and harder still when it's a language that's not spoken by as many people as, say, Spanish. Not impossible; just difficult.

ASL isn't just a pidgin or a creole (though it shares some features with creoles), and as such, it does take an effort to become fluent. Not everyone has the time, resources, or opportunities to do so.

:bowdown: Good post!

Describes me to a "T". Don't need it, don't have the time, don't have anybody to use it with, have a family to raise and on it goes... I could do much better with getting fluent in Spanish...enough people in my area that use it every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back