Parants of CI children.

Which statements are true for you?

• I want my child to hear

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • I was advised to have a CI for my child

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I want a CI to be included in a full tool box aproach

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • My child knew sign language before CI.

• My child is only just learning sign language after CI.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don't feel my child needs sign language at all.

• My child uses cued speach with CI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Child is in AVT for speech therapy

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • If my child decided to stop using their CI I'd let them.

• If I had had to fund the CI myself I would have still gone ahead

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • My child is in mainstream school

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • My child is in deaf school

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I am happy with results of CI

• I am disapointed with the results of CI

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Speech is most important for my child.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Literacy is most important for my child

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Communication through any means is most important.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I think I made the right decision to implant my child

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I regret having implanted my child.

• Other. (please state)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about hearing people going into prositution because they were forced to use ASL? :lol:

Bad joke!

:lol: But funny!

i think dreama is trying to backpeddle her way out of this. she created her own argument and is now trying to cloud the discussion by claiming she said certain things that she did not say. she drew a parallel between t being an oral success yet winding up as a prostitute yet at the same time tells AlleyCat and I that we are not understanding her posts and are confusing the issues..................
Bingo! You (as I and others) have seen right through the nonsense.

shakes head.

You people have got all offended over my friends experience. You missed the enthasis entirely.
It's NOT about oral education and prostitution.

It's about oral education and the way they will promote oral successes. Even if the person they are promoted has problems understanding basic conversations. It's ok I suppose if they can speak.

I think I'm going to be sick.

Certain people owe me an apology for delibrately twisting my words.

shakes head.

You people have got all offended over my friends experience. You missed the enthasis entirely.
It's NOT about oral education and prostitution.

It's about oral education and the way they will promote oral successes. Even if the person they are promoted has problems understanding basic conversations. It's ok I suppose if they can speak.

I think I'm going to be sick.
Dreama, I don't think anybody is offended. I think you were "called out" on your statements that were suggesting the girl turned to prostitution because of how she was taught. Several posters have seen it the same way so it's not just me.

I respect your views and opinions however when you make comments like that it makes me think you have a hidden agenda and I'm sorry but you then loose some credibility with me unless you correct yourself.

My apologies if I have missed it but I have not seen a post from you stating that you didn't mean to imply the girl turned to prostitution because of how she was taught as myself and others have viewed your comments.

Yes I know exactly what you said and you can highlight and underline other portions all you want but that doesn't negate the parts of your statement where you tried to make the connection.

I make mistakes every day and one thing I have learned about myself is to never think that I am above admitting when I am wrong or when I have mis-spoken or made a mistake. To err is human. We all do it.

Still, even if I were forced to do things because of my blindness, I don't think I'd resort to prostitution as a way of getting attention from men -- especially in an unsafe manner.

It just doesn't make any sense.
I know. That's b/c you have a healthy sexuality. But trust me.....a lot of girls and guys who are screwed up emotionally, think this way.
I don't really see how someone would think that way either......but it's just a hypothesis. You have to admit that MANY dhh kids have significent interpersonal relationships. Some of them as a result may be SO screwed up that they turn to prosistution or other not desireable activities b/c they are so marginalized.

I know. That's b/c you have a healthy sexuality. But trust me.....a lot of girls and guys who are screwed up emotionally, think this way.
I don't really see how someone would think that way either......but it's just a hypothesis. You have to admit that MANY dhh kids have significent interpersonal relationships. Some of them as a result may be SO screwed up that they turn to prosistution or other not desireable activities b/c they are so marginalized.

Well, I'm lucky I'm not a prostitute given the fact that I was sexually abused and had my life threatened as a child at knifepoint.

I can see where it would be a mitigating factor, but not a determining factor.

Dreama, I don't think anybody is offended. I think you were "called out" on your statements that were suggesting the girl turned to prostitution because of how she was taught. Several posters have seen it the same way so it's not just me.

I respect your views and opinions however when you make comments like that it makes me think you have a hidden agenda and I'm sorry but you then loose some credibility with me unless you correct yourself.

My apologies if I have missed it but I have not seen a post from you stating that you didn't mean to imply the girl turned to prostitution because of how she was taught as myself and others have viewed your comments.

Yes I know exactly what you said and you can highlight and underline other portions all you want but that doesn't negate the parts of your statement where you tried to make the connection.

I make mistakes every day and one thing I have learned about myself is to never think that I am above admitting when I am wrong or when I have mis-spoken or made a mistake. To err is human. We all do it.

:gpost:

I admit that I don't admit when I'm wrong and will argue in circles to prove I'm right, but I'm learning slowly but surely how to clarify, compromise and meet each other halfway.

Dreama can reiterate all she wants, but it does not change the original content of her post.

Rockdrummer:
Sorry I got frustrated yesterday and lost my temper. I wasn't called out. People seemed to delibrately misunderstand my post. Since many people missunderstood it maybe it's my fault for not clarifying it.

However, by saying I was 'called out' you are implying that I was lying about my friend which is why I lost my temper in the first place.

The facts as they stand are:
T had an oral only up bringing
The teacher in charge of the PHU did invite T to do talks about how she managed as a deaf person. She has lots of 'friends' and she uses the oral only way.
T did turn to prostitution. Now I know several other orally taught deaf who didn't turn to prostitution. But she did exist.

My emphasis was not on how she turned out but because she was used by the teaching staff when she had issues that should really have been addressed first.

I'm NOT an underhand person. I speak as I find. You may not like that but to say I'm underhand is very upsetting and offensive for me.

Rockdrummer:
Sorry I got frustrated yesterday and lost my temper. I wasn't called out. People seemed to delibrately misunderstand my post. Since many people missunderstood it maybe it's my fault for not clarifying it.

However, by saying I was 'called out' you are implying that I was lying about my friend which is why I lost my temper in the first place.

The teacher in charge of the PHU did invite T to do talks about how she managed as a deaf person. She has lots of 'friends' and she uses the oral only way.
T did turn to prostitution. Now I know several other orally taught deaf who didn't turn to prostitution. But she did exist.

My emphasis was not on how she turned out but because she was used by the teaching staff when she had issues that should really have been addressed first.

I'm NOT an underhand person. I speak as I find. You may not like that but to say I'm underhand is very upsetting and offensive for me.

That makes sense. The teachers focused too much on her oral skills rather than on her as a whole person with feelings?

Rockdrummer:

Thanks for clarifying.

I have never pretended to aprove of the oral only approach. I don't care for it. It does a lot of damage to people. I have mentioned my friend to illistrate how those in favor of oralism will hold up anyone who can speak whatever their backgrounds etc etc etc...

Ok most don't end up as prostitutes. Most end up having to see shrinks instead. Many who have suffered oralism do fail. That's fact.

And those that are successful. Well you have to take their claims with a pinch of salt really. Because their successes could mean anything including a dodgy back ground.

Sorry to offend but I speak as I find. That's just the way I am. I'm never going to pretend oralism only is ok because it's just plain wrong.

I am sorry if those who went through living hell in the oral only system like me and Shel did thought I was calling them a prositute. That was NEVER my intention to offend anyone.

But apart from that there really wasn't anything to see through because what I wrote was MEANT to be taken literally. And people didn't take it literally. They tried to find hidden meaning in what I said which weren't there which is why I got so mad about it yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back