Palm in or Palm out

Here's a question for you:

How do you sign 23, 24, 26, 27, 28 and 29? :)

(Since 20, 21, 22, and 25 have unique signs, I didn't include them in the question.)
L handshape, palm out, followed by the second digit.

Here's a question for you:

How do you sign 23, 24, 26, 27, 28 and 29? :)

(Since 20, 21, 22, and 25 have unique signs, I didn't include them in the question.)

23 has its own unique sign as well.

All this palm in, palm out makes me want to sing:

Put your left palm in
Put your left palm out
Put your left palm in and shake it all about

:lol:

Out of curiosity, I dug out my notes from the first sign language class I took during the Ameslan era. I scanned the alphabet/numbers sheet. Notice it was called American Manual Alphabet, and all the numbers are palm facing outward, towards the viewer.

This is so old I think Gallaudet himself was the hand model. :lol:

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
Some of my other notes on finger spelling (note the date--11/14/68--I was 17 years old then).

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 9
Out of curiosity, I dug out my notes from the first sign language class I took during the Ameslan era. I scanned the alphabet/numbers sheet. Notice it was called American Manual Alphabet, and all the numbers are palm facing outward, towards the viewer.

This is so old I think Gallaudet himself was the hand model. :lol:
It's possible that the palm orientation is simply to make the handshape easier to see and isn't necessarily an indication that they should all be signed with palm out. Notice too that the hand is tilted at a 45 degree angle, but I don't think they were telling you do that, either.

Huh, and what an interesting way to sign 11.

Ive been amazed at how signing can vary in form from State to State. There is so much more to learning this language. Im happy I have an interest & taking college courses in it :d

Back