Pain in the CI area?

Haha, whoa! I called the hospital and they only hold records for 7 years, so my records are pretty much gone. My parents are going to look for them at their house and send them over to me - that is, if they find some.

Huh? Your medical history should be there, no matter how many years has passed by.

Wirelessly posted

drphil said:
More than likely your new Doctor will understand the situation and go from there to what the examination reveals-and what to do to help you now. More than likely this situation has occurred before to persons implanted very young. Again good luck

My daughter was implanted young but hasn't noted any pain on either side. Although I don't recall anyone writing about this in the past 3 years I've participated on the CI circle, while you await your ENT appt, you may want to post a query to the group ( access to the Yahoo group is at circle.org).

Last edited:
Huh? Your medical history should be there, no matter how many years has passed by.

I think it depends where you live.

Although, some clinics do keep medical history, but they often keep it in storage and no one really want to go and get it.

After a length of time (not sure how long), medical records are archived. Often a third party business is paid for the archiving and doctors seem to be reluctant to order from the archives, I guess, because it costs money to do so....:dunno:

I think it depends where you live.

Although, some clinics do keep medical history, but they often keep it in storage and no one really want to go and get it.

If a patient has been inactive for a year, many places archive the records.

Hopefully by now the matter is solved-recent pain in head area- visit Nov 4/10

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Activated Aug/07

No I don't have experiences of having pain in the left cochlear implant area ever since I was 5 and none in the right area since 2 months ago and I hope it stays that way. This is coming from a Motorcyclist who rides a lot and have had many crashes, 2 crashes resulting a fracture in tibia (below knee cap) and in right collar bone.

No pain and I see that you called your doctor, so good luck... :)

EDIT: As bad as word "crash" sounds, most of them are just falling off the bike to the side going around 5 MPH. I tend to "slip" out my bike often...

Pls do keep us posted and hope everything goes well. Good luck!

Hi! The doctor thinks it's a skin nerve irritation, so he prescribed me some Elavil (a tricyclic anti-depressant, weird!) for it. I have to give it a few weeks for it to work, so we'll see. I have another appointment on January 18 to check up on this pain. If the medication doesn't work, then we're moving onto steroid injections. I think we're going to have surgery as a last resort option.

Hi! The doctor thinks it's a skin nerve irritation, so he prescribed me some Elavil (a tricyclic anti-depressant, weird!) for it. I have to give it a few weeks for it to work, so we'll see. I have another appointment on January 18 to check up on this pain. If the medication doesn't work, then we're moving onto steroid injections. I think we're going to have surgery as a last resort option.

Hope the drugs work, and quickly!

Wow! Good luck with having the medicines work and avoiding surgery!

Good luck.

I had a "sickness" about a month ago and I would be "dizzy" at times whenever I get up from sitting down or reach for something or try to look up in the sky (couldn't stand still). I was very scared and even tried to ride my dirt bike and Man! I felt floating, so I stopped riding immediately. My parents thought it was stress at first, but after finally calling up the doctor and seeing her, it was just a ear infection. Whew! thought I needed surgery or something. Got medi pills and "dizziness" was fading away slowly!

It does feel good to be away from the worst situation and recovery took no time! :)

Hey, I'm back. I had the appointment a couple of hours ago, and the medication didn't work in getting rid of the pain. It made me extremely sleepy. Like I said earlier, the next step is steroid injections.. so I got one near the CI area. The pain has disappeared for now, which is a good thing. I have to give it 6 months before my next injection - that is, if I need it. I just wanted to update you guys who are curious about this issue.

Hey, I'm back. I had the appointment a couple of hours ago, and the medication didn't work in getting rid of the pain. It made me extremely sleepy. Like I said earlier, the next step is steroid injections.. so I got one near the CI area. The pain has disappeared for now, which is a good thing. I have to give it 6 months before my next injection - that is, if I need it. I just wanted to update you guys who are curious about this issue.

Glad you are doing ok so far.

Is it safe if you keep getting the injection every 6 months? will it go away??

indeed, you are in my thoughts..

I had pain in my CI area not that long, it went by itself.

I also had pain in my CI area when I was in my teens. I've had my magnet since 1990. I saw a doctor regarding that issue and he basically said that my bone was growing around it and it gave it a lot of pressure? It was absolutely ridiculous, but the pain went away on its own... It felt like my magnet was getting sucked in and there's now a "hole" above my magnet.

Back again. The pain has returned, except it's a dull one. It's worse now. I don't know why it's happening.. and I don't want to have to keep going back for steroid injections. Ugh. I wish there were more information about long-term risks or something like that. I currently don't have the funds to go see my doctor again, so I'll deal with the pain for now..

I also had pain in my CI area when I was in my teens. I've had my magnet since 1990. I saw a doctor regarding that issue and he basically said that my bone was growing around it and it gave it a lot of pressure? It was absolutely ridiculous, but the pain went away on its own... It felt like my magnet was getting sucked in and there's now a "hole" above my magnet.

This would make sense if I was still a growing teenager :P I'm 23, I think I'm fully grown by now.. haha.

Self explant with a jackhammer?

kiddin' hope you find out whats wrong. glad to see you around still.

Ooh, jackhammer.. don't tempt me, PFH! Barely around :( school/work's been keeping me busy. I just wrapped up my summer semester and I have a two-week break before the fall semester starts.. siiigh. I should catch up with AllDeaf!

Back