Oy! Teacher Tells Student He Could Be Arrested for Talking Badly About Obama

Let's not dispute who is right or wrong, he said she said about the skin color thing any more than it needs to be.

CrazyPaul wanted to know what she looked like.
Jiro questioned CrazyPaul's question.
kokonut preliminarily brought up it may be a woman of African/black heritage due to the dialect.

The rest of the ethnicity related posts are just unnecessary expansion of the original questions, which are now already answered. We can move on from who was right or wrong in the race issue now.

No one said anything about the "race card" not sure why you continue with this....

I continue with this? looooooooooooooooooooool :laugh2:

loving how you're being so comically obtuse even when it's so blatantly obvious but yea sure ok :lol:

Let's not dispute who is right or wrong, he said she said about the skin color thing any more than it needs to be.

CrazyPaul wanted to know what she looked like.
Jiro questioned CrazyPaul's question.
kokonut preliminarily brought up it may be a woman of African/black heritage due to the dialect.

The rest of the ethnicity related posts are just unnecessary expansion of the original questions, which are now already answered. We can move on from who was right or wrong in the race issue now.

:ty: for clearing it up.

not sure why you're still continuing with this....

Continuing what? I was discussing the clarity provided by Naisho's post. I saw things the same way as he did from the start.

TXgolfer and Jiro...

the-man-hug.jpg

Continuing what? I was discussing the clarity provided by Naisho's post. I saw things the same way as he did from the start.

Post #126. I guess you just had to put in the last word?

well that's fine, sir. I'll just take a high road and let you have at it. :cool2:

No, that's not threatening.

Back in 2004, when I was in 11th grade, few students and I talked so negatively about GWB so history teacher told us to stop because she doesn't want any political discussion in her class so we respect her, however one other student said that's First Amendment but teacher told him that she isn't going argue about constitutional rights and she doesn't want political discussion in her class because she doesn't want any students to interfere with her job to teach about American history, especially WWII, so she warned that if anyone don't listen so they will kicked out of class and send to office.

The teachers have rights to tell students to refrain from political discussion in their class and it isn't good idea to debate with them.

While I agree that teachers shouldn't directly debate with students, teachers should never discourage political discussion in their classroom. Doing so is a complete waster of a teachable moment. I am a high school English teacher and if a situation of this nature comes up in my class, I set ground rules for debating and consequences for violating those rules to avoid the situation getting out of control. I will then give students a few minutes to discuss the issue at hand, while helping them learn to form good, informed opinion. I am a first year teacher and I know that. This teacher is an idiot and should be fired; there's no room for teachers who don't embrace education in the system.

REally? I find this hard to believe. It's not universal, just as not all people from the south sound precisely the same...
That's a fact. Since I'm a Yankee who's lived in the South for many years, I've noticed that. It grates me how TV programs and movies depict a generic "Southern" accent and expect that to be adequate for the whole South. I can easily tell the differences between Texas, Arkansas, North Carolina (and the Piedmont of South Carolina), the Lowcountry of South Carolina (divided further into South of Broad Street and island Gullah), Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. The Appalachians have additional regions.

and not all people from New Jersey sound precisely the same...
True again. Also, I can detect the difference between New Jersey, NYC boroughs, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Rhode Island. Once, while a group of us were at a restaurant (in South Carolina), everyone thought our waitress was from Brooklyn or the Bronx. I told them no, she's either from Rhode Island or the Connecticut border next to Rhode Island. So, we asked her. She was from Rhode Island. :lol:

and not all deaf accents sound precisely the same...
True again.

- but there are speech patterns that are generally shared by each of these groups and there is a particular speech pattern that is shared, in general, by the American black population.

It's not just the way they each pronounce certain words, but there's also a cadence, a rhythm to it. It's often very pleasant. The black poet Paul Lawrence Dunbar wrote some beautiful dialect poetry utilizing patterns and pronunciations representative of common black speech...

There's nothing wrong with recognizing something that black poets and song-writers themselves celebrate in their art.
Absolutely nothing wrong with noticing differences. That's what makes people interesting. :)

That's a fact. Since I'm a Yankee who's lived in the South for many years, I've noticed that. It grates me how TV programs and movies depict a generic "Southern" accent and expect that to be adequate for the whole South. I can easily tell the differences between Texas, Arkansas, North Carolina (and the Piedmont of South Carolina), the Lowcountry of South Carolina (divided further into South of Broad Street and island Gullah), Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. The Appalachians have additional regions.

True again. Also, I can detect the difference between New Jersey, NYC boroughs, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Rhode Island. Once, while a group of us were at a restaurant (in South Carolina), everyone thought our waitress was from Brooklyn or the Bronx. I told them no, she's either from Rhode Island or the Connecticut border next to Rhode Island. So, we asked her. She was from Rhode Island. :lol:

True again.

Absolutely nothing wrong with noticing differences. That's what makes people interesting. :)

I'm not southerner, despite about born in North Carolina but I lived in California for many years.

I just have west coast attitude and different culture/accent from southern.

I'm not southerner, despite about born in North Carolina but I lived in California for many years.

I just have west coast attitude and different culture/accent from southern.
I lived in California (San Diego and Lancaster) for a few years but I still call myself a Yankee. :)

I appreciate the efforts of the dialect detection people here. Without them, I would just have to guess, since the transcripts would likely not contain as many clues as to the ethnicity of the speaker. :hmm:

I guess I gotta wonder, why was the race of the speaker brought up in the first place? Does it make a difference? Are we going to require racial dialect detection for every video that gets posted hereafter?

Back