Oral

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
I am oral all the way, I just recently learned how to do ASL I am not fluent but pretty good......... I am quite a chatter box!!!

I prefer to be called oral deaf rather than HOH.......cuz I am profound deaf from both ears since birth........

I couldn't undy lipread or oral, they are mumbling to me :D
I have grew talking by sign cuz my family all is deaf ;)

Here I am learning ASL and noticed some deaf ppl talk by ASL different I assume North, East, South and West of USA are different:confused:

Living well and Beautiful and Justly are all one thing.

I use sign languages since i was 2. Even tho I can talk some and I hardly to write a note. (becuase most of them do understand me) Also my daughter and I can communicate as well (Speak or sign)

Originally posted by eternity
I use sign languages since i was 2. Even tho I can talk some and I hardly to write a note. (becuase most of them do understand me) Also my daughter and I can communicate as well (Speak or sign)
The most common understandable communication in the family is usually between the child and the mother.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
The most common understandable communication in the family is usually between the child and the mother.

Right, my daughter can hear and undy by my voice but hearing ppl couldn't

Eternity, when I came here I didnt know any ASL I met some deaf ppl here talked by writting I have studies English before came here, lady helped me to get some books ASL from library, NICE OF HER.

some deaf people said that Oral is evil :(
I am proud to be Oral deaf but should not be shunned by deaf people cuz of that - I talk and sign at same time

i respect people's choice of language or preference of communication
As do I...however most of the time...actually probally virtually ALL the time, oral deaf people didn't choose their method of commuication....they were forced into it by not being allowed to learn ASL. I have no beef with someone who feels totally comfortable in the hearing world, and who decides not to learn ASL but most of the time that commuication choice was made by parents, who either have zero clue about the real honest to god lives of deaf and hoh people or are yuppies who believe that sign isn't a real laguage and is a sign of disabilty or handicap. (I find that really ironic as most of those people would probaly jump on the bandwagon to get their kids bilingal in any other choice of langauage. However, to their thinking ASL is EVIL b/c it represents disabilty and difference!
some deaf people said that Oral is evil
In what context? Were they radical Deaf militant seperatists who absolutely positively refuse to have ANYTHING to do with hearing society and so thus refuse to talk and refuse to wear hearing aids or a CI, or were they saying that it's a better idea to grow up with two languages(ASL and English) rather then one?
I am extremely grateful that I can function somewhat in hearing society, and that I can speak decently and hear semi-decently.
That said, oralism has limited me as it did not give me access to the deaf world.(a world which I have found wonderful and amazing and all that good stuff) I know far far far too many people (deaf, HOH, etc)who grew up without being exposed to ASL and wish they'd had the oppertunty to learn both languages.
I really do think that the ultimate goal in every single deaf and hoh child's IEP should be prociefient bilingalism, so they can reap the best of both worlds, and so they will never every have to ask their parents why they never learned ASL growing up!

Well, I grew up using my signs but I am glad that I did learn how to speak as oral. so that's why I am using oral and signs at the same time. Most of the time I use oral with signs at the same time. it does help me speak correctly not fked up.. if I use my oral speech without signs, it sometimes messes up. I hate that but good thing I still use both! :)

When I was kid during I was in public school but I REFUSE to learn oral because I would prefer using the signs. when I get older and realize I should have learn oral but I do know how to oral little.... I only do is whisper mostly than use loud out! I am very embassesment about me using loud out so I prefer to use the whisper better and understand better! Sounds corny?? I know. That is ME. ASL is good to understand and fast. ESL (SEE) I used have this before when I was in Alabama. It teaches me better in englsih. When I moved to Texas and sign in ASL and I've lost SEE and my english becomes FAILED. I strong comment SEE is good for education but ASL is good for understanding and fast. I know it is hard for everybody to accept this three kinds of language they uses.

You know...I think the only reason why oralism is still really big is b/c it is a HUGE moneymaker for hearing people. Think about it....
there's really no way that hearing people can make gobs of money off of ASL. If oralists claim that ASL will keep deaf people from learning to talk then, if ASL isn't accessible then that means that the oral deafies will be brainwashed to think that they *need* all this fancy high tech equipment and rehab that costs $$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think about it....think how much a digital aid costs,(think actually how much just a simple ANALOGUE aid costs!) think how much rehab for CI costs, think how much tution for an oral school costs and so on!

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
some deaf people said that Oral is evil :(
I am proud to be Oral deaf but should not be shunned by deaf people cuz of that - I talk and sign at same time

I know what you mean. I talk and sign too. I was invited to the deaf play and I talking and signing to the deafs. I was glad to be there cuz im learning. But when I got home and my friend told me that they were talking shit that I talked while signing. There are others but why me. That pissed me off. I dont why they gotta be like that. This is the reason why I rarly hang around the deaf world.

But when I got home and my friend told me that they were talking shit that I talked while signing. There are others but why me. That pissed me off. I dont why they gotta be like that. This is the reason why I rarly hang around the deaf world.
Hey...there are dumb radical seperatists in EVERY movement! Look at Louis Farkakkan and his Nation of Islam, look at white supermatists and so on......
Just b/c there are a few morons who think that someone doesn't fit their definition of "Deaf" and so don't "belong" in the deaf-world doesn't mean that you shouldn't be involved in the deaf-world or not allowed to define yourself as "Deaf" There are MANY different kinds of "Deaf" just as there are many different kinds of feminism or Christianity or whatever.
I've been pretty much accepted in the deaf-world even thou I can hear and speak pretty well......
I wonder if it has to do with attitude...I mean I consider myself bilingal and bicultral, getting the best of both worlds and seeing them as equals. Whereas a lot of oral deafies were taught to feel superior to the poor wittle signing Deafies...they were trained to think that oralism was better then ASL and that ASL and Deaf culture was "speshal needs" You may be giving off a negative "vibe" about ASL and Deaf culture due to this, and Deafies may be picking up on that. I mean Deaf culture has a tradition of "recruiting" oralists. Research has shown that the gross majority of oral deaf people pick up ASL as a second language, and that they identify themselves as Deaf!
Matter of fact one of the premenient Deaf culturalists of today started out as oral (postlingally deaf) deaf! (Tom Humpries anyone?) It is a matter of attitude! It doesn't matter whether you're oral or not. Most deafies understand that most oral deaf people did not choose to be oral, and so welcome oral deafies into the fold. Most of us went through starting out as oral and then discovered Deaf culture! Very few people in the Deaf-world had the ASL militant utopia experiance of growing up in the deaf-world completely seperated from the hearing world and from oralism!

I talk and sign at the same time.. I learned how to talk a little bit before I learned how to use sign language at 3 years old. My parents (they are divorced by the way) didnt know I was deaf until I was about 3 years old. Anyways..I do pretty good on talking and signing at the same time.. sometimes I don't use my voice when I sign something in private so people don't know what I am talking about with a friend or whoever. :)

I just checked my charts. It looks like I am profoundly deaf.
My mother taught me English Sign Language, and I took speech therapy at 2yrs old. I was exposed to both worlds. Age 5, I stopped signing, and even slapped my mothers hands when she tried to communicate with me. I didn't view myself as deaf, and didn't want to have anything to do with the culture. So I was put in a hearing school, and never had any problems. Sure, I came across ignorant people, but I simply re-educated them :)
I have no regrets, because it was the right choice for me.

I grew up mostly oral..First when my grandparents discovered I was profoundly deaf, they had me in speech therapy.. then had me enrolled into KDES (Kendall), I didn't stay there that long, only a month.. because of some problems with the teacher (she punished me for using my voice and had me in a "time-out" unsupervised :-x) Then went to a full oral mainstream program at a elementary school, didnt work out either for some reason then another program, Cued Speech and stayed as oral and cued speech for 6 years then oral deaf school..and in high school, oral and ASL ;)

I do use my voice to communcate with the hearing and also use sign to communcate with the deaf... So Acutally I do both.. My Children know a very little signs but not much.. they know i understand them if they talk to me..

I use my normal voice, I can communicate with the listener and the deaf person but I have taste only language of signs that oral because the language of signs in sample is cofashion than oral more

est-ce que tu es français? Je ne comprends pas ton anglais, malheureusement.
(Are you French? I really don't understand your English, unfortunately.)

kuifje75 said:
est-ce que tu es français? Je ne comprends pas ton anglais, malheureusement.
(Are you French? I really don't understand your English, unfortunately.)

Que?! Que?! :P

Back