Oral skills = Auditory skills

Do people assume you can hear more than you can because of your oral skills?

• Yes, all the time!

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Yes, sometimes.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Not often/rarely

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Never

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
No human being has the right to grab another person like that without consent.

I didn't say anything otherwise, Souggy. Of course, grabbing is a no no. A tap on the shoulder would've been enough.

Wirelessly posted

I don't speak like hearing people do. I can only speak twenty-four words. Now I'm interested in to learn how to speak. I have reasons for learning it: 1) more likely to have hearing children, 2) improving my grammar and speech (I think?), and 3) communcation with my family better.

I don't tell my friends about it but I told my family. I'm not surprise that they're happy that I want to. :P That's good. So they'll probably help me how to.

I'll look for speech theapist (sp) in another state or maybe ask a few of my hearing friends who eager to help me out. =) But I will need a new mold for my left HA... Bah. X)

EDIT: I don't know why my post is cut off some of my text.

I just said, "Okay, I hope hearing people don't assume me that I can do if my speech goes so well and smooth, not mention to the hearing. Well, I won't surprise if they do... "

Last edited:
I have had that happen to me as well which is why I pretty much stopped talking.

My parents were taken aback when I stopped talking because they were used to me interpreting for them. I was just tired of having to repeat the word "HUH?" when I read lips.

Ditto here. In a noisy situation with strangers, I will pretend that I can't speak because as soon as I open my mouth, people will find it hard to believe I really can't hear well. It's much easier to convince people that I can't hear if I don't open my mouth.

I have not forgotten the time I was working for a mailing company. Another deaf woman and I were hired as temporary packers. We weren't able to get a terp because the job can begin the next day or never and terps require 4 days notice.

The boss knew I could speak so she asked me to terp for the other deaf woman. I was dismayed cuz i knew then we were damned if I were to interpt for the deaf woman or if I refused. Either way, we were not going to keep our jobs cuz the boss was in a hurry to get started. I tried but could not cope with background noises or recruitment. She laid us off on the spot. :pissed: I was furious.

That's in violation of the ADA. You don't have to show anyone any papers proving your deafness.

Source: Title II of the ADA

I run into this problem either in the bank or when dealing with people in a social setting. Not businesses. It has helped at times in the business type setting. I had to go to our local courthouse to get copies of my brother's marriage certificate. At the metal detectors, the officers kept trying to talk to me behind me and my son kept explaining that I was deaf and if I could not see their face I could not know they were talking to me. They still didn't understand, but there was a Federal Officer standing there and he came to me and asked if I was in fact deaf, I said yes and then showed him the the other officers the card. They all apologized and were very courteous after that. The Federal Officer was going to the same place as I was and said that he works out of this courthouse and would make sure that proper training was conducted to make sure the security officers were up to date on ADA policies.

yes, and they get extremely upset with you if you couldn't understand them because they assume you were hearing. When I was working as a cashier, this one guy who wasn't a regular, came in for a cigerette. I couldn't understand him which brand he wanted and ask him to repeat, he repeated in a harsh tone which it made it harder to understand... Then he got to the point he yelled at me and cussed me out for about 5 minute. Another co-worker came in and asked him to leave and told him that i was deaf, he yelled at her and told her I shouldn't be working in their store.

I run into this problem either in the bank or when dealing with people in a social setting. Not businesses. It has helped at times in the business type setting. I had to go to our local courthouse to get copies of my brother's marriage certificate. At the metal detectors, the officers kept trying to talk to me behind me and my son kept explaining that I was deaf and if I could not see their face I could not know they were talking to me. They still didn't understand, but there was a Federal Officer standing there and he came to me and asked if I was in fact deaf, I said yes and then showed him the the other officers the card. They all apologized and were very courteous after that. The Federal Officer was going to the same place as I was and said that he works out of this courthouse and would make sure that proper training was conducted to make sure the security officers were up to date on ADA policies.

I totally understand your reasoning. I've considered getting button that explains I'm HOH from AADB.

At the same time, while it's probably not your intention, every time you show people your documentation, you make it harder for deaf people who don't carry documentation on them. Those officers and other people will begin to expect all deaf or disabled people to carry medical proof of their disability. Then another passenger or person with a legitimate disability who doesn't carry documentation might not be taken seriously.

I totally understand your reasoning. I've considered getting button that explains I'm HOH from AADB.

At the same time, while it's probably not your intention, every time you show people your documentation, you make it harder for deaf people who don't carry documentation on them. Those officers and other people will begin to expect all deaf or disabled people to carry medical proof of their disability. Then another passenger or person with a legitimate disability who doesn't carry documentation might not be taken seriously.

Hadn't thought of that. I really only use it in the extreme cases. Most times people are accepting and I can explain it, but if things are really busy and hectic and the stress keeps me from understanding and I produce pen and paper, they get real testy, then I pull out the card.

That one time at the courthouse was a major fluke. I've been back at least 6 or 7 times since, and have had no problem. I just let them know ahead of time and they are very polite and helpful if I need it.

I agree with CJB. Most people don't carry a proof that they are deaf. These security guards need to know how to handle people better and be aware that some people may be deaf. And that they don't need proof at all to see if they are lying or not. Just let people be because they know what they need to function. The guards need to learn to adjust to that and as long as people are cooperating after their needs are met (like deaf people need someone to look at them, or write to them), they are alright.

I wore my hearing aids today and I was in a taxi. The guy had an accent and there was little hope....Here is our conversation...street names changed so no one knows where I live!

"Hello, 320 Apple Drive please."

"mmnbmm admnkm Dimi, RIGHT?

"Yes, just north of Dixie."

"adenf wjnda ere akjd LEFT ajd it?"

"yes, on the left hand side."

"iahdajk ashjf jhadhe ahjha hbfajh ejhfjha hjb"

"Sorry, I have a hearing loss, can you repeat that?"

"asjnd NEED jkasd CALL"

*hands be business card*

"Thanks, yes, if I need a taxi I will call your number".

So, through context and catching 1 or 2 words per sentence, I was able to successfully have a conversation with the driver. My ability to guess correctly is amazing, my ability to hear is almost non-exisistant!

I wore my hearing aids today and I was in a taxi. The guy had an accent and there was little hope....Here is our conversation...street names changed so no one knows where I live!

"asjnd NEED jkasd CALL"

*hands be business card*

So, through context and catching 1 or 2 words per sentence, I was able to successfully have a conversation with the driver. My ability to guess correctly is amazing, my ability to hear is almost non-exisistant!

Jenny I know what you mean. I use a great deal of inference when I can't hear in a given situation. And people go "Oh you heard that?" No, it's just for example if you arrive at the counter there's only a limited number of things people are going to say. "How may I help you today?" "What would you like to order?" Etc. And if I thank someone their response is most likely "You're welcome."

I predict words when people write on my palm too to speed up the process a little. Most people appreciate it greatly and only a small minority insist on finishing out their sentence. :)

H A V E A N.....

Have a nice day.

Y O U R E W...

You're welcome.

Etc.

"asjnd NEED jkasd CALL"

*hands be business card*

And that is how I spend my life. Get get basically 3 out of 10 words in every conversation just by reading lips. Can't hear a sound, but at least I get that. Put it in context with what's going on and you can pretty much figure it out.

I tell people " I gamble"

they say "Really, you gamble???"

I say yes "I gamble what I think people are saying"

If only we could get really good earplugs that simulate more than a mild loss :(
I'm hearing, and I recently had an interesting experience where I got a nasty double ear infection that left me essentially hard-of-hearing for a couple of weeks. Even though my hearing loss was probably only mild, it surprised me how much I missed when people were talking. There are a lot of words in the English language that sound very similar, and it can be difficult to distinguish between them when you can't hear nuances in pronunciation. I kept telling my hearing son, "You need to sign because daddy's ears aren't working right now and I have no idea what you're saying."

Frankly, I'd rather be profoundly deaf than have to put up with partial hearing.

Back