Oral skills = Auditory skills

Do people assume you can hear more than you can because of your oral skills?

• Yes, all the time!

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Yes, sometimes.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Not often/rarely

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Never

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

JennyB

Reaction score
Does this assumed correlation bother anyone else to no end? Alicia and I had a bit of a conversation about it tonight since we both have strong oral skills and are constantly in situations where people "forget" we are Deaf or simply think we are exaggerating our hearing loss.

I am curious how many people experience this stereotyping, that because you can speak and speech read you must be able to hear?

I'm HOH but people "forget" I can't hear them. They call me from other rooms or from other floors in the house and get mad when I don't answer. My mother and son are getting better about it but the rest of the family believes my hearing aides will "miraculously" make me fully hearing again. I've had a couple ask when I'm going to get a CI and I don't even qualify at this point.

No. My oral skills kind of suck. I have them but mostly only people who know me understand me.

I voted sometimes. Yes, I had that problem with my family members like my sister who thinks that I can hear what I said years ago. And because of my oral skills which was not accurate and have lots of mispronounce words. On the other hand, my husband think I can hear him with my hearing aid. I have told him repeatly that I can not pick up the words but could hear the sound like environment sound only. Yes, many other hearing people think that the hearing aid will help me to hear them. What a crock! :roll:

People refuse to believe I am deaf, unless they live with me then they see that I am not bullshitting.

I have had that happen to me as well which is why I pretty much stopped talking.

My parents were taken aback when I stopped talking because they were used to me interpreting for them. I was just tired of having to repeat the word "HUH?" when I read lips.

Yes..because most hearing people tell me that is I never told them about my deafness and that I needed to read lips, they would have never knew that I am deaf. I have had the same situations where people have gotten mad at me for not hearing them, misunderstanding them or asking them to repeat what they say. That's probably one of the reason that I no longer participate in a non-signing environment like I used to. Who wants to feel bad constantly? Not me.

People think I can hear perfectly fine all the time. I'm late-deafened, but apart from volume control, my speech is perfectly fine.

And it's hard because lots of times I can hear someone talking but I can't understand what they're saying. So yes, I can hear them. But I have no idea what they're saying!

I often get thrown into this loop. I can't understand someone and ask them to use print on palm. They say something. I react to the sound of them replying and say "I can't hear you, please write on my palm" and then they think "oh, but you just heard me" and try to talk to me again.

I ignore their talking if that's what it takes to get them to write on my hand. Hearing is not understanding.

Not really a problem after I explain to them a few things, even after talking to them on the phone and they meet me in person totally surprised that I'm hoh.

I get it all the time but I don't blame them.....what Kokonut said....

CJB Hearing is not understanding.

I second that! I can hear plenty but don't always understand what it is people are saying to me. A perfect analogy would be listening to a foreign language radio broadcast. I can hear a voice on the radio perfectly fine but I have no idea what they're saying. Same thing with people who talk to me from behind or from another room.

Last edited:
I have this problem all the time. People seem to have an easier time believing that I'm stupid than that I can't hear them. My speech is good. Most people just hear an accent and ask where I am from.

Yes, jenny and I were discussing this...I had to have yet another meeting with my director at school about my teacher because she got mad that I switched my service (had to give a facial) to doing a hand treatment cuz facials you talk one on one with client and a lot of other services you don't have to esp if the person is getting more than one service..and this was AFTER i told my teacher I only have one ha cuz other was broken....and my good ear ha was broken...so add music, low lighting 22 other stundents and 10-15 clients ..you try being deaf and listening in that ....my director was like well you cope so well with it the teachers have said they forget that its a problem..i was like well that's fine and dandy for you and them but it's not for me and just cause it "looks" and "sounds" like I can hear fine...I DONT! Next time she says a stupid comment Im going to throw her a pair of earplugs tell her to wear them for a day and see how she feels!

Next time she says a stupid comment Im going to throw her a pair of earplugs tell her to wear them for a day and see how she feels!

If only we could get really good earplugs that simulate more than a mild loss :(

And yes, people confuse me all the time. Even my audie! (and he's SEEN/DONE my audiogram!) His secretary is better than he is, lol.

My most recent thing i've noticed is that once people understand that i need to speechread, they try to move really close to me, and im like.. BACK OFF! Personal bubble/you are TOO CLOSE for me to see properly! Sheesh!

*EQL*

A few people have actually forgotten/not believed that i have a profound hearing loss. Even an audiologist consultant but that was when I was younger, around 5/6 he said I was not deaf, just naughty

My most recent thing i've noticed is that once people understand that i need to speechread, they try to move really close to me, and im like.. BACK OFF! Personal bubble/you are TOO CLOSE for me to see properly! Sheesh!

*EQL*

Gawd oh yeah, that brings back memories of one particular teacher who kept doing that, Miss Symes. She always stepped a bit too close in my personal bubble that I had to step back and she would match stepwise until I told her that she was a bit too close for comfort. I swear that at times I could tell what she had for lunch! :-o However she was a really nice lady but had no idea of how to do one on one...

Yes, jenny and I were discussing this...I had to have yet another meeting with my director at school about my teacher because she got mad that I switched my service (had to give a facial) to doing a hand treatment cuz facials you talk one on one with client and a lot of other services you don't have to esp if the person is getting more than one service..and this was AFTER i told my teacher I only have one ha cuz other was broken....and my good ear ha was broken...so add music, low lighting 22 other stundents and 10-15 clients ..you try being deaf and listening in that ....my director was like well you cope so well with it the teachers have said they forget that its a problem..i was like well that's fine and dandy for you and them but it's not for me and just cause it "looks" and "sounds" like I can hear fine...I DONT! Next time she says a stupid comment Im going to throw her a pair of earplugs tell her to wear them for a day and see how she feels!

This reminds me: a lot of people seem to notice when you can understand them in a quiet room one-on-one and then apply this to all other situations. Music playing, food frying on the pan, several people talking at once, and then it's like "Oh but you could hear me fine yesterday!" :roll:

Since birth, I am profoundly deaf, I use CI (under 2 years) My first lang was BSL then spoken lang and SSE since 5, pretty good speech (enough that people that forgets that i am deaf), I have notetaker as I prefers to watch the tutor. I found out recently that I was put down as HOH on IEP and my tutor thinks that I don't need help anymore and asked the college to drop services.....

I went What, why?? she said because i can hear her?? I said i only lipread you as she was easy to lip read but when she turns her back i don't know what she is saying hence thats what my notetaker is for (aswell as write things down from the board)... also when tutor and I did One on one i could listen her without lipreading okayish with alot of guesses, she assumed that i can follow her in class of 20!! I still miss out other peoples.

She also said I am the most advanced in the group and assumed I don't need help... Sigh, Me being advanced isn't anything do with what I hear.... I learn by VISUAL!!!! So at this very minute my notetaker is sticking her guns in and having meeting with the IEP group instead of class this evening!.... I need her as my exams are in April!!

If only we could get really good earplugs that simulate more than a mild loss :(

And yes, people confuse me all the time. Even my audie! (and he's SEEN/DONE my audiogram!) His secretary is better than he is, lol.

*EQL*

Not only that, but people also have a habit of speaking louder when they find out you're h/h. Jeez! I wish they wouldn't do that.

Back