Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Piaget! His developmental theories are sooooo on target! And Erikson's psycho-social stages of development, too.

Erikson!!

Trust vs Mistrust!

made it difficult?

:confused:

I thought it made it better for the deaf to communicate. One can not talk and hear on the the telephone. but the ability to do so, started out with the phone.

With the VP and MVP. BB, SK, texting. just about everyone uses those as well. and the Internet, E mails and such. Seems more people are using those that speaking over the phone now a days.

They all started out VIA telephone.

While I agree that VP and MVP, BB, Sk and texting have been wonderful for the d/Deaf; the telephone created a lot of barriers for the deaf especially in the job and social department. If you were in the mainstream during the 60s and the 70s, it was impossible for me to get in touch with friends via the phone.

When I went to interviews during the late 80s, I could tell that I wasn't going to get hired as soon as they found out I couldn't speak on the phone. Deaf had to look twice as hard for jobs as hearing.

I will grant that the telephone made it possible fpr the other technologies that enabled d/Deaf to communicate with anyone all over the world.

While I agree that VP and MVP, BB, Sk and texting have been wonderful for the d/Deaf; the telephone created a lot of barriers for the deaf especially in the job and social department. If you were in the mainstream during the 60s and the 70s, it was impossible for me to get in touch with friends via the phone.

When I went to interviews during the late 80s, I could tell that I wasn't going to get hired as soon as they found out I couldn't speak on the phone. Deaf had to look twice as hard for jobs as hearing.

I will grant that the telephone made it possible fpr the other technologies that enabled d/Deaf to communicate with anyone all over the world.

To this day, the phone is still being used as an excuse not to hire deaf people. I tell my deaf friend to pls tell the prospective employers the different ways deaf and hearing people can communicate using technology such as texting, captel phones, VP, and etc. In the 60s and 70s, it was a good reason but nowadays with so many different ways of communicating, I dont think it is a valid reason anymore.

I have gone to great lengths to make sure that the staff is well educated, gone to training PRIOR to working with him and that there is not only a FM system in place, but a note taker and well as all the lessons are tape recorded and typed for him.

That's good to know. I didn't have that growing up. I just had to depend on FM system. If I was lucky the teacher would write things down on the blackboard but not all of them did. Mind you this was in the 1980's.

But the main thing was your son was exposed to sign. Not as a last resort but the first port of call. Should you have further problems with his CI at a later date you will always have sign to fall back on.

To this day, the phone is still being used as an excuse not to hire deaf people. I tell my deaf friend to pls tell the prospective employers the different ways deaf and hearing people can communicate using technology such as texting, captel phones, VP, and etc. In the 60s and 70s, it was a good reason but nowadays with so many different ways of communicating, I dont think it is a valid reason anymore.

I agree it creates barrier among the deaf people in the past and present, due to ignorance of people.

But I am just stating that the phone is what gave us the technology "today"

The phone is not the barrier. It is the ignorance of the potential Employer. That is the barrier... "Ignorance of people"

Not the phone itself.

I agree it is a barrier among the deaf people in the past and present.

The phone is not the barrier. It is the ignorance of the potential Employer. That is the barrier... "Ignorance of people"

Not the phone itself.

I couldnt agree with u more. It is ignorance that leads to using the phone as an excuse. My friend is a logistician (spelling?) and she uses the telecap to conduct her business. Her employer almost didnt hire her but she brought a brochure showing them the different ways deaf people can use to communicate at the interview. It worked!

I agree it creates barrier among the deaf people in the past and present, due to ignorance of people.

Not the phone itself.

:hmm: You raise an excellent point there.

The definition of "plasticity":

During the baby's first three years of life, the brain experiences a growth spurt (i.e. "sponge" effect) and races to create hundreds of trillions of pathways to connect these neurons, giving the brain its greatest capacity for change, known as plasticity.

This is why sign language should begin at this early time at around 6 months. Not at a later date when the child has failed to pick up the spoken word.

In many ways technology has made life for deaf people difficult.

Take the telephone.

That was spot on. In the 18th century deaf mutes worked as editors in public newspapers. Today you can just forget about it totally, even with a CI.

Who invented the phone? The evil AG Bell! Perhaps an hidden conspiracy against deaf people here? :)

In many ways technology has made life for deaf people difficult.

Take the telephone.

Ironically, the telephone that is now making life for deaf people easier. Cell phone and texting, relay operator, TTY, and now video phone.

Ironically, the telephone that is now making life for deaf people easier. Cell phone and texting, relay operator, TTY, and now video phone.

You missed the point. It would be easier if it did not exist at all.

oh my, aren't you a dreamer.

what about those who decide not to use technology as an intervention?

why not focus on current situation rather than hoping and dreaming about the future? let's focus on what we can control....the environment. rather than depending on technology and if they will work on children. we need to stop using children as experiments.

Um, 10 years ago we did not have video phone. 10 years ago we did not have cell phone with texting, camera and video capability. 10 - 15 years ago we did not have relay operators. 15 years ago we barely got started with the internet and a virtual unknown by most people. We have improved speech recognition software. Artificial intelligence. We have computer chips (multi-core chips) that continue to improve at an astounding rate. Cochlear implant continues to improve. Same with hearing aids. And so on. Not really a dreamer her but seeing where this technology is heading. Things are getting smaller, faster and better. But, it'll only be a matter of time til biotechnology make the leap ahead of hearing aids and cochlear implants. But regardless, there is so much technology involved in education whether you wear a hearing aid or not. It's hard to imagine exactly what life be like in 10 years from now but it will undoubtedly involve technology to such a large degree it'll become a part of our life. It is already beginning right now.

You missed the point. It would be easier if it did not exist at all.

No. I didn't miss the point. Without the phone, it wouldn't have led to cellphone and texting. Without the telephone it wouldn't have opened the doors to telecommunication and eventually video phones. Simply put, the telephone technology has made life easier today for deaf/hh people.

This is why sign language should begin at this early time at around 6 months. Not at a later date when the child has failed to pick up the spoken word.
It could be ideal but that's not the reality here. Not among most hearing parents when the advantage for the child would also be to get cochlear implant or hearing aid as soon as possible and that the parents become more involved in the child's language and educational development early on. It would be ideal to combine signing along with oral and aural development very early. And that child's oral and aural developments may come to a point to drop signing in favor of speaking and listening because it has become easier to do and preferrable at that stage. Nothing wrong with that.

It's also equally amazing that there are those willing to take SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) for money filed under "disability" yet at the same time say they don't have a disability?

Only the hearing world make us disabled.

I never seen two deaf people who know how to communicate with each other disabled one another.

No, I get what you are saying.... I agree that EVERY child should be exposed, but unfortuantely, (as in my case) the need for sign becomes less and less. .

Do you realize that you did help his language skills by signing to him? Sure, you did not need it in later life, but what happen if you didn't give your baby any visual cues? I know that when my son was a baby, I would say tree and he would not even cared. But as he kept growing, I kept POINTING (<---visual cues) so he can relate the word tree with tree. But if he was deaf, I would definitely sign "Tree" to him.

The only different is that not all CI babies can make out the sounds they hear, it take a while and some speech therapy (We we all know CI is not perfect enough on it's own without speech therapy). That's why signing to a baby is a good idea WHILE speaking.

oh my, aren't you a dreamer.

what about those who decide not to use technology as an intervention?

why not focus on current situation rather than hoping and dreaming about the future? let's focus on what we can control....the environment. rather than depending on technology and if they will work on children. we need to stop using children as experiments.

I wished I could afford all those technology. BTW, video phones is worthless to me because I don't know signing.

It could be ideal but that's not the reality here. Not among most hearing parents when the advantage for the child would also be to get cochlear implant or hearing aid as soon as possible and that the parents become more involved in the child's language and educational development early on. It would be ideal to combine signing along with oral and aural development very early. And that child's oral and aural developments may come to a point to drop signing in favor of speaking and listening because it has become easier to do and preferrable at that stage. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong when the child is a loner out on the playground, becoming a weirdo in high school..

Sitting in front of the computer and getting "information" on the net isn't the smartest thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back