Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh but they can. are you saying they can't what if a child really wanted to?

Arggghhhhh I know plenty of people who wanted to and could not.

oh but they can. are you saying they can't what if a child really wanted to?

My brother tried to take speechreading classes after he graduated from college...he couldnt just do it. He has trouble with making the right mouth formations to match the pronouncion of the words and use the correct tone of voice. I dont know about others who dont have speech skills whether they really tried or not.

The reason for wanting to try hard was so that he could have good enough oral skills to communicate with our family. He doesnt care about strangers or out in the hearing world but he is bummed that he always has to rely on me in order to communicate with everyone in our family except for our mom. I can understand that.

just tell him that I can use speech and I am not very bright so he doesn't need to feel bad about using ASL. :P

just tell him that I can use speech and I am not very bright so he doesn't need to feel bad about using ASL. :P

Dont be so hard on yourself. :) We all get wise as we get older.

well, it's in the gene. like I said, I come from a long line of c's and d's grade average family, plus some LD family. of course, I knew I prefer ASL over oralism. I'm just here to show people oralism is not a high class thing. it all depends on the individual.

well, it's in the gene. like I said, I come from a long line of c's and d's grade average family, plus some LD family. of course, I knew I prefer ASL over oralism. I'm just here to show people oralism is not a high class thing. it all depends on the individual.

I agree that oralism is not a high class thing but I think what DD was referring to that the high class families most likely wouldnt accept ASL in the toolbox because to them, it is about image. A deaf child who cannot speak most likely looked down by them. I think that was the point DD is trying to make.

It isn't that they were brainwashed. It is that they had no base for comparison until they were adults and learned another way on their own.

A child who is raised an a dysfunctional home doesn't realize that it is dysfunctional, either, until they get away from it and see that there is another way to live.

I disagree with this. I know that many abused children know that is wrong, right from the start.

I agree that it depends on each person. However, I am not too sure if I fully agree about depending on the amount and type of hearing loss. I have met HOH people who have no oral skills and yet, I have good enough oral skills to be able to communicate with almost any hearing person despite being born with a bilateral severe-profound deafness.

I have students with CIs who were implanted before school-age who have absulotely no oral skills and students with no CIs who have oral skills and vice versa.

You missed one other conditional criteria in my post there.

"...and how soon they are exposed to sound and words early on in their life."

It wasn't an "or" criteria but an "and" criteria.

I wasn't aided til I was 3 or 4 years old. My sister wasn't aided til she was five years old. mom didn't know about our deafness until my sister's teacher mentioned it. Then she had me tested for it later.

I agree that it depends on each person. However, I am not too sure if I fully agree about depending on the amount and type of hearing loss. I have met HOH people who have no oral skills and yet, I have good enough oral skills to be able to communicate with almost any hearing person despite being born with a bilateral severe-profound deafness.

I have students with CIs who were implanted before school-age who have absulotely no oral skills and students with no CIs who have oral skills and vice versa.

I've wondered about that. It seems it's more to do with type of deafness rather then decible range. I was born with only a mild loss. So I shouldn't have even really needed sign language but I still feel I would have benifited from a few clues as I remember not always understanding what people wanted from me and being punished for things I couldn't help doing. I also failed at picking up french even though I was exposed to both french and english growing up and my hearing brother is bilingual.

It's really weird, because my older sister is severe hard of hearing like me.. she thinks I can hear better than her. But I think she can hear better than me LOL What's weird is that I took spanish class for half semster and was able to speak a few spanish words, and still learning it from my son because they are teaching him spanish as well. But my older sister took spanish from 7th to 12th and is able to speak it pretty good. In mainsteamed public school too (we both attended the same school and it didn't have any class for the deaf). She is the one who decided to ditch oralism and use ASL this point on. For me, I am still using oralism because of my son and my husband. The only difference between me and my sister is that she wore hearing aids in her elem. years . But They made me wear bodyworn FM system on me where I can only hear the teacher and no one else outside of that.

I disagree with this. I know that many abused children know that is wrong, right from the start.

Who said anything about abuse? I said dysfunctional.

And you can disagree with it all you want. I prefer to stick with the experts.

That's true. Dysfunctional families can certainly be abusive.

Dysfunctional families can be abusive...however, they are normally referred to as "abusive families" to distinquish them from those that are simply dysfunctional in their family structures and functions. However, just because a family is dysfunctional does not mean that it is automatically abusive, and certainly not intentionally so.

It is really irritating when people insert wording into my posts that wasn't there, and then later come back to accuse me of saying something I never said. **smile**

I agree that oralism is not a high class thing but I think what DD was referring to that the high class families most likely wouldnt accept ASL in the toolbox because to them, it is about image. A deaf child who cannot speak most likely looked down by them. I think that was the point DD is trying to make.
As I've repeatly stated, not all oral sucesses are "high class"
There have always been families with dhh kids who have done well orally with relatively minimal effort, as well as dhh kids from poor or working class families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back