Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some schools tried to do that with me. My Mom had a Hissy Fit!!

They ended up buying the tools I needed to stay in regular classes. Such as microphone and ear piece. And place me in front of the classroom.

I also Had an IEP. Mine was to keep me in regular classes...

Good for your mom! Parents need to realize that the school system is most often doing what is most convenient for them. Fight for your child's right to an appropriate education, and if you don't feel up to the fight, hire an advocate to do it for you. You cannot count on the school system to tell you what you need to know. They will only tell you what they want you to hear.

The only issue with a majority of deaf children is access to the language, communication, and info in the educational setting. Provide them an environment where all that is fully accessible and the children will perform at their age appropriate level. Take that away, they are being disabled.

If a deaf child has additional needs such as LD and etc, then that's a whole another issue.

Well said. Give a deaf child the linguistic environment they need, and they will learn just as a hearing child learns...through exposure. It is all about creating the environment that allows them to learn, rather than putting them in an environment that prevents them from learning.

Exactly. Gifted students are on an IEP as well, because they require additional services than are offered in the regular classroom and curriculum.

When she was in Elementary school. The Gifted teacher came to Her school once a week. The ALPHA kids went to her class for the day. Every Thursday.

Now she is in Jr High. She goes everyday during 4th period.

I love the things they do in that class. It really challenges her, and puts her mind to work! :D

She is learning about things that I never learned about in Jr High.

Her next IEP will be due before school lets out, to plan for her for 7th grade.

Anyhoo.

Just wanted to be clear that IEP are not only for the Delayed.

Well said. Give a deaf child the linguistic environment they need, and they will learn just as a hearing child learns...through exposure. It is all about creating the environment that allows them to learn, rather than putting them in an environment that prevents them from learning.

That's what an oral-only environment does.

Last edited by a moderator:
When she was in Elementary school. The Gifted teacher came to Her school once a week. The ALPHA kids went to her class for the day. Every Thursday.

Now she is in Jr High. She goes everyday during 4th period.

I love the things they do in that class. It really challenges her, and puts her mind to work! :D

She is learning about things that I never learned about in Jr High.

Her next IEP will be due before school lets out, to plan for her for 7th grade.

Anyhoo.

Just wanted to be clear that IEP are not only for the Delayed.
You are correct about the IEP.

And you have just reinforced my earlier point: if you create the proper environment, a child will learn. For your daughter, the proper environment was one that presented advanced material. Put her in that environment, and she is learning at an advanced level.

That's what an oral-only environment does.

Exactly. And then, they have to have all sorts of adjunct services added: tutoring in reading, language enrichment, etc. Why do they need these adjunct services? Because they are being prevented from learning it in a natural way in the proper environment.

Exactly. And then, they have to have all sorts of adjunct services added: tutoring in reading, language enrichment, etc. Why do they need these adjunct services? Because they are being prevented from learning it in a natural way in the proper environment.

In the 5th grade, the school assigned a special ed teacher to sit with me in my class to make sure I knew what was going on. It still made no difference cuz I couldnt understand her most of the time and it made me feel like I was so dumb that I needed a teacher to sit with me at all times. I hated the moment she walked in my classroom and as a result, I grew to hate her.

In the 5th grade, the school assigned a special ed teacher to sit with me in my class to make sure I knew what was going on. It still made no difference cuz I couldnt understand her most of the time and it made me feel like I was so dumb that I needed a teacher to sit with me at all times. I hated the moment she walked in my classroom and as a result, I grew to hate her.

Yep. All that does is point out that the kid is different in some way, and make interaction with peers even more difficult. And it could all be avoided if they were just in the proper environment to begin with.

Yep. All that does is point out that the kid is different in some way, and make interaction with peers even more difficult. And it could all be avoided if they were just in the proper environment to begin with.

The kids mocked me saying that I was such a baby that I needed a teacher to sit with me in class all day daily. I must have had a hissy fit about it to someone cuz after a few months, her services were discontinued.

The kids mocked me saying that I was such a baby that I needed a teacher to sit with me in class all day daily. I must have had a hissy fit about it to someone cuz after a few months, her services were discontinued.

My son hated his interpreter for the same reason before I got him in the Deaf School. In the first grade he told his terp, "You my terp, not my mommy!"

It look like there is no answer for kids in mainstreamed school. But yet, I don't think parents really want to send their kids away. My mom certainly did not. one way another, kids just don't like being different.

Mod's note:

I'm going to close this for review. It may re-open on a later time.

Mod's Note:

The thread has been reviewed. Some of these posts which were inconsistent to this thread has been removed. I'm opening the thread and the mod team will also be keeping an eye on this as well.

Consider yourself warned - Please keep the personal vendetta out of here and take it in PM or elsewhere. At least, Keep this discussion clean and civil.

Thank You.

Now you guys may resume and start discussing in regards of this. :)

46.95% of the responders definately do not think it rocks.

Here's my opinion on it based on what I've seen in Chris up to this point. Much like must of your parents where like. I suppose you could say I was in denial when we first found out Chris was HOH. I wanted him in a normal school like normal people. So I signed him up for Pre-K in a normal class room with normal kids. He doesn't do well in it. Most days he's in trouble for not doing what he's suppose to do like sit quietly at circle time and such. Well come to find out that he doesn't really know what circle time is all about it. After being on AD like I have I have learned that it's not about me and what I want it's about my child and what he NEEDS! So with his IEP team we have placed him in a HOH/Deaf class room to start off in Kindergarten. He will be in that class for his basic learning math, english stuff like that. He will be with "normal" kids for PE Music and ARt with an interperter. I have learned alot from the people on AD about what he's going through since ya'll went through it yourselves. THank you for opening my eyes. I have told myself I will leave him in that type of class room through the 1st grade and reevaluate how he has done in those classes and possibibly mainstreaming him later in life. My my thoughts are he needs this type of class in the beginning because if he doesn't pick up what is taught in Kindergarten and 1st grade it will be very hard on him later in life.

Thanks again everyone on AD for opening a mothers eyes so I don't make the mistake with my child (pretending nothings wrong).

And we applaud you, chris'mom, for having the courage to ask the questions and pay attention to the answers. You son is very lucky to have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back