Oprah will talk about puppy mills tomorrow

Buffalo

Reaction score
Just to let you know that Oprah will talk about puppy mills tomorrow. I have heard of puppy mills and I believe all puppy mills should be closed up. Nothing good about the puppy mills. If one want a dog, adopt one from the pound or a rescue center. A mixed breed dog is good as a pure bred dog. A mutt can be healthy than a pure-bred as pure-bred dogs tend to have problems. I had two dachshunds - one pure-bred and one mixed. The pure-bred lived about 11 years and the mixed one lived almost 17 years.

Really Thanks for letting me know. I will watch that! :)

I agree about the mixed dog is better than pure bred dogs as they are tough and last longer when pure bred will live shorter and cant eat any foods and always have health problems.

My dog- a pure Cocker Spaniel his name was Mac. He had many health problems and cant eat spicy foods and is allergic to flea. but he lived longer till last summer- he died of stroke. I took good care of him as I always take him to vet and get his shots etc. He was a wonderful dog but lot of groomings. Wow. I will never own another cocker spaniel again. lol.. :)

Thanks for post here!!! Hope that I can watching Oprah tomorrow !! :D

Common problems from inbreeding are genetic defects and health problems.

It happens with humans and dogs.

Some people want their dogs to be so pure that they breed their own pets with their own siblings.

That's probably why pure breeds don't last as long as mixed breeds.

Some people want their dogs to be so pure that they breed their own pets with their own siblings.

That and poor breeding choices - IE breeding dogs with poor eye and hip scores. Just slap some AKC papers on them and they bring in $1,000 a pup because some fool thinks that those three letters A-K-C gaurantee a healthy pup. 'Fraid it aint so. The AKC can't prove parentage of litters but it can prove if the pups are mixes or purebred. Thats why millers are able to get by with breeding littermates and parents to offspring.

I can go into great detail, but please please do some homework before buying a pup. Stear clear of pet shop puppies (they often have parvovirus they just hope they are sold before they die). Also stay away from people who set up shop at wal-mart and sell puppies out of the back of their vehicles. They are back yard breeders and often they are of poor breeding stock meaning the pups are probably healthy but have alot of genetic defects such as allergies to everything (had a dog like that), hip dysplasia, degenerative myelopathy, poor eyesight which can lead to blindness, and possibly even dogs that go deaf. (nothing wrong, unless you bought this pup to eventually be your hearing dog then that would be a bit of a problem.)

Look up the parent club of your breed and there should be a list of recommended breeders often the parent club inspects where the AKC cannot.

Also ask questions ask for a pedigree, ask to see both parents dont pick up the first puppy you see. Ask for a puppy health gaurantee in WRITING. The AKC papers mean nothing! the AKC is not a policing body, it is simply a registering body. Ask to see where the puppies are kept. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If they seem shady or avoid answering questions, move on these are not the folks you need to be dealing with.

Not ready to shell out huge bucks from a reputable breeder? Then consider adopting a dog from a breed specific rescue. You often get the option of a purebred, you home an unwanted pet, and you save money on the purchase price.

I have heard so much horror about the puppiese mills which have been going on for years. I am sure Oprah show will explain lot about what going on inside the puppies mills.

That and poor breeding choices - IE breeding dogs with poor eye and hip scores. Just slap some AKC papers on them and they bring in $1,000 a pup because some fool thinks that those three letters A-K-C gaurantee a healthy pup. 'Fraid it aint so. The AKC can't prove parentage of litters but it can prove if the pups are mixes or purebred. Thats why millers are able to get by with breeding littermates and parents to offspring.

I can go into great detail, but please please do some homework before buying a pup. Stear clear of pet shop puppies (they often have parvovirus they just hope they are sold before they die). Also stay away from people who set up shop at wal-mart and sell puppies out of the back of their vehicles. They are back yard breeders and often they are of poor breeding stock meaning the pups are probably healthy but have alot of genetic defects such as allergies to everything (had a dog like that), hip dysplasia, degenerative myelopathy, poor eyesight which can lead to blindness, and possibly even dogs that go deaf. (nothing wrong, unless you bought this pup to eventually be your hearing dog then that would be a bit of a problem.)

Look up the parent club of your breed and there should be a list of recommended breeders often the parent club inspects where the AKC cannot.

Also ask questions ask for a pedigree, ask to see both parents dont pick up the first puppy you see. Ask for a puppy health gaurantee in WRITING. The AKC papers mean nothing! the AKC is not a policing body, it is simply a registering body. Ask to see where the puppies are kept. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If they seem shady or avoid answering questions, move on these are not the folks you need to be dealing with.

Not ready to shell out huge bucks from a reputable breeder? Then consider adopting a dog from a breed specific rescue. You often get the option of a purebred, you home an unwanted pet, and you save money on the purchase price.
I seriously don't see what's so "awesome" about pure breeds.

I've seen people brag... "Hey, my dog is a pure breed (insert breed here) and it cost me $1,000!"

Of course, I'll tell them... "Wow... can your dog do this and that?"

Their typical response? "Umm... no. it's too hard to train him." :roll:

I seriously don't see what's so "awesome" about pure breeds.

I've seen people brag... "Hey, my dog is a pure breed (insert breed here) and it cost me $1,000!"

Of course, I'll tell them... "Wow... can your dog do this and that?"

Their typical response? "Umm... no. it's too hard to train him." :roll:

Sadly, I have to agree with you on this one. But good posting.:cool:

That is a good idea for someone who want a pure-breed but doesn't want to bother with the dog having puppies in the future.

Don't forget to have your dog fixed if you don't want the hassle of puppies in the future.

My dog was a pure bred English Setter and he lived to 14 years old. *shrugs* We adopted him from an animal shelter when he was around 3 years old. Average lifespan for that breed is 11 to 12 years old.

I would have to agree with the puppy mills are cruel and a huge rip off to the general public. They just want money, not LOVE!

I used to have pure breed dog and he didnt live long due to voilence by my exh but I wouldnt mind get another one from the shelter not from the pet store where they will give you AKC paperwork. Those dogs do deserved a good life without having them breed if you dont want the litter.

Vampy - Im not saying purebreeds are more lovable than mixes - Ive had both and Ive grown attached to the mutts just as much as the purebreds Ive owned.

The reason a person may want a purebreed is perhaps they are fascinated by that particular breed and it's distinct characteristics, personality, and looks.

Some people may want to compete in AKC show and sporting events - an AKC registered dog is required to participate.

Others are just fans of the breed and enjoy having a dog of that breed for a pet.

Take a look at the Labrador Retriever. Its America's most popular breed. Its the classic family dog. Good natured, short coated, easy maintenance, medium to large build, intelligent, gentle, and very trainable.

But Labs can range in price from $50 upwards to around $3,000 depending on the breeding, the training, and other factors.

Ive been in the hunt test circles, a finished dog ( a fully trained field dog ) can cost you around $2,000-$3,000 sometimes more because often those dogs are of top breeding, intact, titled, and fully trained.

I agree I dont understand people who buy these dogs only to never take them into the field again in their lives and they are only maintained as a pet.

If you are looking for a Lab to have just as a pet and will never spend a day in the field your best bet is to go to a Labrador Retriever rescue group and tell them what your'e looking for. Likely they have a young dog in a foster home. You just have to pass a home check and background inspections.

But if you are into field trial competitions and what not - then yeah I would go for the well bred dogs because at that point your dog is more than a pet he becomes your working partner and your companion in the field. You want a solid bred dog with good eyes, good ears, and good hips. You want him to be able to work effeciently.

You just have to asess your own situation and decide what is best for you and your family. Pure-bred or no pure-bred, Im always up for getting a dog out of the shelter - anything but the pink stuff!

Just like I dont like the idea of big dog being kept in the house and let dog do business right on the deck? not be able to run? nothing?? that is animal cruelty. thats my opinion.

big dogs are born to run and like to play in open field. When i was growing up I have had several large dogs and all of them love to run. i always take them on walks with me and let them run then let them romper around and play frisbee etc. It was fun as I missed having a large dog. :(

Oh my God, did i watch that and i just wished i didnt because
it affected me deeply...it was so heartbreaking and i just sat
there and cried the whole time..even Oprah cried too..especially
when that part in Dallas, where they had to put some beautiful
trusting dogs to death by enthusia (spell?)..it was soo sad to watch
even though it was done without any pain or suffering on the dogs
part but still...it really hurts to see them put to death and they wrap
them up in plastic bags and dumped them into a trash bins..sooo
sad and heartwrenching..
I was pleasantly surprised to see the President and Chief Executive
Officer of The Humane Society of the United States..his name is
Wayne Pacelle..he was on the Oprah show..he spoke about how he
and his volunteers save the countless of homeless cats and dogs that
have been abandoned and abused..they do wonderful work. I always
donate to them as i know they do wonderful work and the money goes
to take care of these poor unfortunate animals. They do find homes for
them too..They dont believe in putting them to sleep either!
I would like to encourage you to donate to them too..it dont have to be much
money..just a few dollars..like $3, 4, 5, or whatever you can afford..if not,
thats ok. They give you nice free gifts too..i get a nice fleece blankets,
bags, stuff like that. If you would like to donate to them, their addy is:
The Humane Society of the United States
P.O. Box 97015
Washington, DC 20077-7269
The poor animals will thank you for your help too!!
Just thought id give you all this opportunity to help if you want to...
thanks a lot!

Vampy - Im not saying purebreeds are more lovable than mixes - Ive had both and Ive grown attached to the mutts just as much as the purebreds Ive owned.

The reason a person may want a purebreed is perhaps they are fascinated by that particular breed and it's distinct characteristics, personality, and looks.

Some people may want to compete in AKC show and sporting events - an AKC registered dog is required to participate.

Others are just fans of the breed and enjoy having a dog of that breed for a pet.

Take a look at the Labrador Retriever. Its America's most popular breed. Its the classic family dog. Good natured, short coated, easy maintenance, medium to large build, intelligent, gentle, and very trainable.

But Labs can range in price from $50 upwards to around $3,000 depending on the breeding, the training, and other factors.

Ive been in the hunt test circles, a finished dog ( a fully trained field dog ) can cost you around $2,000-$3,000 sometimes more because often those dogs are of top breeding, intact, titled, and fully trained.

I agree I dont understand people who buy these dogs only to never take them into the field again in their lives and they are only maintained as a pet.

If you are looking for a Lab to have just as a pet and will never spend a day in the field your best bet is to go to a Labrador Retriever rescue group and tell them what your'e looking for. Likely they have a young dog in a foster home. You just have to pass a home check and background inspections.

But if you are into field trial competitions and what not - then yeah I would go for the well bred dogs because at that point your dog is more than a pet he becomes your working partner and your companion in the field. You want a solid bred dog with good eyes, good ears, and good hips. You want him to be able to work effeciently.

You just have to asess your own situation and decide what is best for you and your family. Pure-bred or no pure-bred, Im always up for getting a dog out of the shelter - anything but the pink stuff!
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Putting dogs in shows makes me feel like those parents who put their little kids through pageants. It's so depressing. Dogs need to have a wonderful life of fun with their owners. Not to go through extremely strict diets while standing up like a snobby model trying to impress observers.

It's like those parents who are crazy enough to spend $2,000 to $5,000 on outfits and makeup so that their little kids can look "beautiful". That reminds me of another article where this mother took her 8-year-old daughter to get a bikini wax job. :roll:

my son adopted an adorable beagle puppy, they plan to put her sleep within few days because she has no white line on her face to nose. she has full color of brown all over her face. Ugh.. so what... she is very brilliant and affectionate dog. She always lay on my chest while I use the laptop to relax in my bed. Thanks God, we found her a good home who love her.

Oh my God, did i watch that and i just wished i didnt because
it affected me deeply...it was so heartbreaking and i just sat
there and cried the whole time..even Oprah cried too..especially
when that part in Dallas, where they had to put some beautiful
trusting dogs to death by enthusia (spell?)..it was soo sad to watch
even though it was done without any pain or suffering on the dogs
part but still...it really hurts to see them put to death and they wrap
them up in plastic bags and dumped them into a trash bins..sooo
sad and heartwrenching..
I was pleasantly surprised to see the President and Chief Executive
Officer of The Humane Society of the United States..his name is
Wayne Pacelle..he was on the Oprah show..he spoke about how he
and his volunteers save the countless of homeless cats and dogs that
have been abandoned and abused..they do wonderful work. I always
donate to them as i know they do wonderful work and the money goes
to take care of these poor unfortunate animals. They do find homes for
them too..They dont believe in putting them to sleep either!
I would like to encourage you to donate to them too..it dont have to be much
money..just a few dollars..like $3, 4, 5, or whatever you can afford..if not,
thats ok. They give you nice free gifts too..i get a nice fleece blankets,
bags, stuff like that. If you would like to donate to them, their addy is:
The Humane Society of the United States
P.O. Box 97015
Washington, DC 20077-7269
The poor animals will thank you for your help too!!
Just thought id give you all this opportunity to help if you want to...
thanks a lot!

Me too, I was cried when I saw that oprah show. There were over population dogs and cats because the owner did not do their neture or sprayed due to expensive. I saw they put leather belt around on dog face and put chemical shot to make them sleep. Oh dear, it breaks my heart. I came home from work, I grabbed to hug my puppy Katie (begale). She slept with me all the night, made me feel better. I cant imagine, they put her sleep. I am so glad that my son adopted her few days before they put her sleep

Back