Opinions wanted

I think breeding average intelligent people is just wrong. To sit there and breed average intelligent in a test tube when you can go for high intelligent gene is just insane.

Actually, I think those who think being average is not good enough is just wrong.

Sorry babyblue, that's your problem. I have never saw anything wrong with being deaf when I was a little girl. It was the hearing people who made me feel there's something wrong with me. Then I've been catering to them since.

The sad thing coming from this discussion are the thoughts and ideas that we deaf are broken or something is wrong with us.......

Mr. Chips M.Ed Deaf Ed.

is this from a person with a masters in deaf ed? sure doesn't seem to understand the issue!! it is not about deaf being bad. it s about creating a deaf baby in a test tube so the unborn child will become deaf. '
this is not an attack on deafness!!! this is about "designer babies" to fit into a the box of selfish individuals who will subject a created baby to a life without one of a human beings senses. why , remove hearing????? it does not make any sense at all.
if the above quoted responder is a professional deaf educator then god help the deaf community

I am not sure they are trying to remove hearing by taking out a gene if they are, then I think it is wrong (you know, alter a gene and change it from hearing to deaf). But if genetic deaf is already there, you simply pick it over a hearing gene. I'm genetically deaf. I can easily have deaf children one way or another. I simply need to find a guy who is genetically deaf as well.

Unless they are not genetically deaf, those lesbian simply find a deaf guy if they wanted to.

In response to "Unless they are not genetically deaf, those lesbian simply find a deaf guy if they wanted to"... that’s exactly what the lesbian couple did. They are both genetically deaf, and sperm banks would not let them use sperm from a genetically deaf donor so they went to a male friend who was also genetically deaf and used his sperm as the donor sperm. I have no problem if two deaf people have a deaf child as that is the natural genetic makeup they produce. Let nature take its course - the deaf child had no choice in whether it was going to be deaf or not as that was its genetic luck of the draw, just like with any person. The issue is should deaf people who are not going to produce a deaf child be allowed to use technology usually in place to minimise genetic issues to produce a deaf child. The problem I see with this is that this child had a choice of whether it was going to be deaf or not and I don’t think the parents have a right to make that decision.
The argument of intelligence is interesting, however have you ever read 'Brave New World'? Society will not function if everyone is super intelligent, we all can’t be rocket scientists or brain surgeons. Look what happens when highly intelligent children are left under stimulated in the school system, they often become trouble makers etc. I don’t think we should be able to select for intelligence. So much of intelligence comes from how you are brought up and how you treat others. I have a learning disability and didn’t learn to read until I was 12 years old. I am now about to do Honours in Science. As you know, deafness, or learning disabilities only reduce quality of life if the individual lets it.
What happens if when the child grows up they cannot enter into a career as they cannot hear? Wouldn’t they feel regret or anger towards their parents if the parents had chosen to have them specifically deaf? Hard work can gain intelligence or athleticism, contacts and hair dresses and change appearances, but how do you give the deaf child hearing if that is what they want?
What defines deaf pride?

Haha, didn’t realise I had written so much! You guys are fantasitc

matajan is very interested.

chelle23--"It seems a little selfish, but then I am no longer deaf so thats why I don't feel like I can fully comment upon this. Should blind people be aloud to select for blind babies? These are the arguments/concepts I want to gain a different understanding about."
selfish indeed. going to a sperm bank just to "produce/manufacture" a deaf child is the height of ignorance . any parent, straight or gay, who wants to "grow" a deaf child artificially is irresponsible. if they are so desirous of a deaf child there are plenty to adopt, their fate has been chosen for then. suing a sperm bank to "produce" a deaf from their slot machine is to choose a life of deafness for an unsuspecting, defenseless life form. look at this AD web site, how many are HOH??? why are they getting high tech ads and CI"s?? because they want to hear!! you take that choice away from an "unborn"child. that is an example of bad deaf ethics

Come and hang out in the Deaf community I associate with. Several of them dont have any desire to get CIs and are perfectly happy living their lives as deaf people. AD is just a small percentage of the Deaf community.

is this from a person with a masters in deaf ed? sure doesn't seem to understand the issue!! it is not about deaf being bad. it s about creating a deaf baby in a test tube so the unborn child will become deaf. '
this is not an attack on deafness!!! this is about "designer babies" to fit into a the box of selfish individuals who will subject a created baby to a life without one of a human beings senses. why , remove hearing????? it does not make any sense at all.
if the above quoted responder is a professional deaf educator then god help the deaf community

What about making a baby a lesbain like the parents?

Come and hang out in the Deaf community I associate with. Several of them dont have any desire to get CIs and are perfectly happy living their lives as deaf people. AD is just a small percentage of the Deaf community.

The guy that I'm seeing now doen't want a CI even though he qualifies for it. I have told him if you don't want one, you shouldn't have to get it.

To answer about resentment: It depends but no matter what, their parents still love them. I've been deaf all my life and it never bother me.

I don't think being deaf really prevent them from getting jobs. they just struggle with hearing people, but it is easier to work among their own community. They just need someone who is willing to communicate in their language to teach them in college or allow them to use advanced technologies without CI surgery so their dream career can come true. Of course, everyone have shattered dream career because unrealistic expecatation. If my daughter wanted to be an artist but she just can't draw, She can't blame me for not picking out an artistic trait from sperm donor.

I have heard of CODA (hearing children of deaf adults) wishing they were deaf like their parents. we are not allowed to remove their hearing even if they wish it. I suppose if they can't remove people's hearing, they can't pick deaf gene either.

I don't think it is really right to force a lesbian to have sex with someone they are not attracted to just to have a sperm donor.

The guy that I'm seeing now doen't want a CI even though he qualifies for it. I have told him if you don't want one, you shouldn't have to get it.

I agree to that as well. I reciently made a speech in my public speaking class about CI, I am hearing and my whole class is as well, and my classmates didn't understand where I was coming from. I did a lot of reasearch about CI effects, opinions and situations both good and bad. I have also experienced a real life situation with a good friend from high school about CI... point of the matter is I personally don't think you should "HAVE" to get one even if you qualify for one.

I agree to that as well. I reciently made a speech in my public speaking class about CI, I am hearing and my whole class is as well, and my classmates didn't understand where I was coming from. I did a lot of reasearch about CI effects, opinions and situations both good and bad. I have also experienced a real life situation with a good friend from high school about CI... point of the matter is I personally don't think you should "HAVE" to get one even if you qualify for one.

Most hearing people usually don't.

I am not a deaf person but i am engaged to one
she is a marvelous woman!
she is happy the way she is and so are all of my deaf friends.

IMHO no deaf person is or should be classified as deficient! They have had to learn differently than a hearing person and the difficulties they face only make them stronger.
so to all you deaf people and hearing who understand :ty:VERY MUCH

what is 'deaf culture'?:hmm:

you have to answer that for yourself. I do know that in deaf culture, there are plenty of deaf people who come from a many generations of deaf family. They use their own type of language to communicate.Hearing is as Ridor9th once quoted as "Irrelevant"

i think some people are just more offended from the viewpoint of 'playing god' and imposing their ideas of what is undesirable and desirable on another - just lump this along with the 'stem cells' discussion. it's just giving some genetic aspects a higher chance to become dominant with the availability of medical technology, nothing more, nothing less. it's all subjective until someone farts in a crowded elevator.

it is not about deaf people having a normal baby that is deaf. read the OP. this is about a TEST TUBE baby that is manufactured to be deaf. how can a sane person want to grow a diseased baby???? that is the same as wanting to grow a deaf baby. 2 deaf people have a deaf child of " their own " is not the same in any shape or form as picking a certain gene out of a sperm bank and matching it to another gene so that it will become deaf.

I remmy this case.
While I think that people need to take nature take its course or adopt dhh babies there's also the fact that being dhh is relatively benign. A baby can ADAPT to being dhh. It's not like Tay Sachs or something very serious.

What is deaf culture?

Deaf Culture is an important way for the Deaf people to use ASL and to have history about wonderful deaf people who make histories on the many things that they have done on their works. Also we do sign in comedy instead of the way hearing talking in comedy. There is theater of some dramas about deaf stories like the National Theater of the Deaf or NorthWest Theater for many Deaf actors and Deaf actresses. We also sign a lot in our Deaf communities with no voice to speak. We are really comfortable being involved in Deaf Culture and the Deaf communities. I am happy to be :deaf:. :cool2:

Back