Opinions on sign language course please

Wirelessly posted

KristinaB said:
Signing Naturally is best, I have all of the series.

Teacher and Students books.

I wish that I could afford those. I know that Barnes & Noble has them (#1-#6) for $54.85 I think it said. How many total are there?

That's quite cheap. :shock:

I wish that I could afford those. I know that Barnes & Noble has them (#1-#6) for $54.85 I think it said. How many total are there?

Do you have anything like Half Price Bookstores?

They usually have sign language as a section and you can pick things up quite cheaply. Sometimes not a whole set but if you go back you can end up with a whole set.

I have a huge collection of sign language books many obtained this way.

Do you have anything like Half Price Bookstores?

They usually have sign language as a section and you can pick things up quite cheaply. Sometimes not a whole set but if you go back you can end up with a whole set.

I have a huge collection of sign language books many obtained this way.

The only one I know of for sure will only deal with paperback romances and such. I will check in with them. I also need to check the phone book. Problem there is that AT&T seems to think that people can read print as tiny as 4 pt font. The large print phone book is 8 pt font. Still can't read that. Maybe I ill see if the online phone directory can tell me.

Signing Naturally is best, I have all of the series.

Teacher and Students books.

That's what my class is using... SN Level 2 for ASL Basic 2 class. I was able to skip Basic 1 because of what I had learned on my own, so I didn't use SN L1, but no one in my class likes Level 2... and the professor says there is a huge jump from Level 1 to Level 2 in terms of difficulty in following what the people are signing. I know it is as close to immersion as you can get on video, which is great! But it can be a little daunting for those of us just learning. My hubby has a portable DVD player that allows me to run it in slow motion if I can't figure out what they are signing, so that helps. Then I run it at regular speed to try to catch the signs again.

I am also going to try to get that ASL Bible (Green Book). That looks awesome!

God Bless,

Signing Naturally

It seems that these books/DVD's are the prefered way of learning ASL, according to most of you. Are they available at most book stores?:D

It seems that these books/DVD's are the prefered way of learning ASL, according to most of you. Are they available at most book stores?:D

Usually you can get them at your local college bookstore, local deaf center, and place where sign is taught.

Or if you have none of those, you can order on Amazon.

I was thinking of selling my Signing Naturally level 1, 2, 3 both teachers and students' books. They are still brand new. The ASL Bible (The Green Book) I will sell too as well.

I will take pictures and post them in a new thread with the cost.

I was thinking of selling my Signing Naturally level 1, 2, 3 both teachers and students' books. They are still brand new. The ASL Bible (The Green Book) I will sell too as well.

I will take pictures and post them in a new thread with the cost.
how much do you want for the lot? You can pm me the price if you want.

how much do you want for the lot?

I don't want to charge too much for the whole lot. I would like shipping to be paid for though.

Let me PM you the pictures of the whole lot. They do have DVDs in their own respective books.

I don't want to charge too much for the whole lot. I would like shipping to be paid for though.

Let me PM you the pictures of the whole lot. They do have DVDs in their own respective books.
I appreciate it. You don't have to send me pictures. Just a list of the titles and what is included would do. :ty:

If RD doesn't go for it - I might be able to. PM me the details as well, but he gets first dibs.

This is what I have.

1. ASL Literature Series - Student Workbook & DVD

(Scratched original DVD but replaced it with another DVD)

Go Shopping

2. Signing Naturally Level 1 Student DVD and Workbook

3. Signing Naturally Level 1 Teacher Curriculum Guide and DVD

Go Shopping

4. Signing Naturally Level 2 Student DVD and Workbook
Go Shopping

5. Signing Naturally Level 2 Teacher Curriculum Guide and DVD

Go Shopping

6. Signing Naturally Level 3 Student DVD and Workbook

Go Shopping

7. Journey into the DEAF-WORLD, A (Paperback)

Go Shopping

8. American Sign Language Green Books, A Teacher's Resource Text on Grammar and Culture (Paperback)

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/093032384X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=485327511&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0930323890&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=1XR2546B6DDPJGSMGQ4W]American Sign Language Green Books, A Teacher's Resource Text on Grammar and Culture: Amazon.ca: Charlotte Baker-Shenk, Dennis Cokely: Books[/ame]

9. Angels and Outcasts: An Anthology of Deaf Characters in Literature (Paperback)

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/Angels-Outcasts-Anthology-Characters-Literature/dp/0930323173/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272244608&sr=1-1]Angels and Outcasts: An Anthology of Deaf Characters in Literature: Amazon.ca: Trenton W. Batson, Eugene Bergman: Books[/ame]

I'm asking $200.00 negotiable for the whole lot and shipping to be paid for too as well.

RD is first and KristinaB is second.

It is my philosophy to sell the books at a lower price because they are used. The books and DVDs are in excellent condition & I prefer to see the books being used over and over again.

:ty:

I will have to respectfully drop out of the running for this. Much as I hate to. Hubby has to get new tires on his Explorer and it will run just under $600 for the four of them.

Maybe, when I can, I will just get them from Barnes & Noble with my discount card.

No worries, smile.

Priorities do come first, I do understand this very well as I relate. :hug:

Thanks Bucket!! That is a great price but I still have to check the finances. Two bills plus shipping is still a decent chunk of change especially in this economy.

Very understandable RD.

No worries and PM me anytime if you are still interested.

I can relate with the finances especially in this economy. :hug:

I agree! I have 1st series of Signing Naturally. It has DVD included. My friend has 2 series plus ASL 1 & 2 classes.... plus immersion with deaf social events... her ASL skill quickly advanced to probably ASL 4 level.

I vouch for it as well. I've taken only ASL 1 class plus this book and also after several deaf events... my ASL skill went from ASL 1 to around 3 but I still need some formal training. I haven't been able to get ASL 2 class. They keep canceling due to low enrollment. :mad2:

Back