Opinions of Audiologists

Actually you are not correct. I am capable of sign and do occasionaly use it.

And as an adult you won't be forced into anything if you take a stand for yourself.

I really think the Deaf/deaf designation is stupid. But as the only deaf student in a hearing school with no deaf community, you are "deaf' too.

Get over yourself.

I apologize for the confusion over sign, there are a lot of people here to keep track of!

I am an adult. I live alone, I work, I support myself. I do take a stand for myself and I am not forced into anything. However I can feel the pressure from some audis and other professionals though I do not give in.

I totally realise I am deaf too..that is the medical distinction in my mind. I am both deaf and Deaf. Although I do not have a D/deaf community within my school that doesn't mean I am not part of one. I don't live at my school, and my life doesn't revolve around school. Most of my friends are Deaf. My prefered language is ASL, and that is how I choose to communicate. Even in school I have interpreters with me at all times. I will never try to argue I am not deaf, but I am Deaf too.

The lack of D/deaf community at my University does not change that part of my identity either. I communicate, and navigate through school the same way I do in all parts of my life - with ASL and Deaf identity. No one can discredit that part of my identity simply because I am the only Deaf one there. That is like saying to the only person of colour in a crowd of white people that they can't use their identity of being a person of colour because they are the only one.

I have read about and watched videos about this...but...what is the argument in your eyes about CI?
I realize it is incredibly invasive...but please elaborate...again...I am just looking for knowledge and your "ranting" is also helpful - that way I know what you are passionate about and care about.

I have nothing against CI's. I have nothing against people with CI's. I just wanted to start with that.

I don't have a CI for a few reasons. One, I love music. With my very limited hearing I am able to distinguish pitch and enjoy harmony. With a CI I would not be able to do that to the same extent. Two, I don't really need it. I sign, I speech read, I speak, I write. I can communicate just fine without it. Three, in my day to day life I don't rely on my hearing at all and I can't see how having a CI would really help me at this point.

I am meeting with a CI audiologist tomorrow actually. I want to ask some questions just to be sure that I am making a completely informed choice at this point. However, if down the road my feelings were to change I would consider it without a doubt!

As for the Deaf - deaf distinction. I think that it is important to have the two because not all Deaf people are deaf, and vice versa. One of my best friends is considered "severely HOH" but she is Deaf. Even though she isn't part of the medical model of deaf she is part of the social model.

I don't think it is the word that seperates the community either. I feel it is more the use of ASL. If you are deaf, and speech read/speak/use ALD's/hearing aids/CI's/whatever else, your reality is going to be much different from a person who uses ASL (or whatever other sign language). The way you live your life will be different, the way you navigate the world and communicate will be different. Regardless of the D/d distinction there is still going to be a divide.

And while I am ranting, I would not want a CI either. But keep in mind even if your audiologist offends you by bringing up the possibility, there are people who have suffered much worse effects from their deafness such as Pinky and Whisperhorse, who really would like a CI.

How would the audiologist know who would like to know about it if they say nothing?
Be a self advocate, but don't insist the world has to fit your mold!

My audiologist doesn't offend me by bringing it up. I answer questions/talk to people are CI's almost every day of my life. CI's don't offend me. Let's get that straight.

What does offend me is when I have said that I am not interested, I do not want to go that route, and the audiologist or ENT continue to push it. Or when an ENT looks at me and tells me I will not be able to make it through the world without one, and discredits me and my language. It is when people ignor the alternatives and attempt to marginalize me that I get offended.

I do advocate for myself, and others. I do not insist that the world has to fit my mold. I request that I be treated with equal respect and dignity and that my environment is a equitable as possible.

My audiologist doesn't offend me by bringing it up. I answer questions/talk to people are CI's almost every day of my life. CI's don't offend me. Let's get that straight.

What does offend me is when I have said that I am not interested, I do not want to go that route, and the audiologist or ENT continue to push it. Or when an ENT looks at me and tells me I will not be able to make it through the world without one, and discredits me and my language. It is when people ignor the alternatives and attempt to marginalize me that I get offended.

I do advocate for myself, and others. I do not insist that the world has to fit my mold. I request that I be treated with equal respect and dignity and that my environment is a equitable as possible.

Good post! I do not think it is right for someone to be pushed into something that they don't want.

I have seen a few audiologists outside of my regular in the last few months. All of them first asked why I didn't have a CI, if I was looking into it, if I had information, if I wanted meet a doctor to talk about, and so on. I find that to be disrespectful especially after I say I am not interested.

I have also had an ENT (one of the best in the country apperently) look at me, look at my audiogram, and say that hearing aids will never help me and I need to get a cochlear implant. Then he proceeded to tell me he would set up an appointment with one of his audiologists to do a full hearing evaluation. He failed to mention it was to do qualifying tests for a CI...I found out before the appointment and cancelled it but I also found that to be disrespectful.

My current audi respects me and my choices 100%. I am meeting with a CI audiologist in coming weeks just to get more information so I can feel like I am making a fully informed choice, and when I told my audi I wanted to she didn't ask questions and is setting it up for me. I am not being forced into it, I am not forced into anything, and my choices are never questioned by her. She knows I use ASL to communicate more often than not and she is fine with it. I have had some audis who try to put me into a box and then try to 'fix' me. Well, I am not broken!

Bottesini, just because you haven't come across an audiologist that is disrespectful doesn't mean they aren't out there. If I recall correctly you don't sign either. That would create a difference in opinion on this particular topid seeing as you are not Deaf, but deaf.

Yea, I have encountered audiologists who didnt respect ASL and tried to manipulate me into getting a CI with comments like how my life would improve and I would have more opportunities. Those kinds of audiologists are very very disrespectful.

Yea, I have encountered audiologists who didnt respect ASL and tried to manipulate me into getting a CI with comments like how my life would improve and I would have more opportunities. Those kinds of audiologists are very very disrespectful.

Exactly! I have as many opportunities as I could ever want right now! I don't need more. Some of those opportunities I even have BECAUSE I am Deaf. My life is full and rich and I do not need to be 'fixed'. I am quite happy being 'broken' thank you very much! ;)

Exactly! I have as many opportunities as I could ever want right now! I don't need more. Some of those opportunities I even have BECAUSE I am Deaf. My life is full and rich and I do not need to be 'fixed'. I am quite happy being 'broken' thank you very much! ;)

LOL! I gotta remember that one!

Chewie - I think it sort of comes down to what type of audiologist you want to be. If you're a social butterfly and love to learn a new culture new things, it would be the greatest if you could learn sign language and deaf culture. Not just learning it, but getting your "hands dirty" by getting involved with various clubs and events. Hand out your business cards, you'll have business in no time. Although many do not have hearing aids, but there are still quite a bit that does wear hearing aids.

The only audiologist that I liked was my CI audiologist...that's because the others that I've had were "run of the mill" type of thing...the ones that deal with elderly.

ALWAYS keep your opinions neutral when it comes with parents who found their child is deaf. Most people will agree with me that learning Sign language and spoken English makes the child well rounded and in Bi Bi program, since they get the best of both worlds (to everyone - do not BASH me for this, this is not a debate. :) )

If you want more challenge, become an audiologist as well as CI audiologist. :-D It can be a pain in the ass to go to a regular audiologist for years, and decide on a CI, then have to go someone else when you have been comfortable with your first audiologist for years.

I wish you best of luck...and it's NEVER too late to do anything. I know someone graduated college when she was 82.

Chewie - I think it sort of comes down to what type of audiologist you want to be. If you're a social butterfly and love to learn a new culture new things, it would be the greatest if you could learn sign language and deaf culture. Not just learning it, but getting your "hands dirty" by getting involved with various clubs and events. Hand out your business cards, you'll have business in no time. Although many do not have hearing aids, but there are still quite a bit that does wear hearing aids.

The only audiologist that I liked was my CI audiologist...that's because the others that I've had were "run of the mill" type of thing...the ones that deal with elderly.

ALWAYS keep your opinions neutral when it comes with parents who found their child is deaf. Most people will agree with me that learning Sign language and spoken English makes the child well rounded and in Bi Bi program, since they get the best of both worlds (to everyone - do not BASH me for this, this is not a debate. :) )

If you want more challenge, become an audiologist as well as CI audiologist. :-D It can be a pain in the ass to go to a regular audiologist for years, and decide on a CI, then have to go someone else when you have been comfortable with your first audiologist for years.

I wish you best of luck...and it's NEVER too late to do anything. I know someone graduated college when she was 82.

WOW - thank you so much for the encouragement! I appreciate you taking the time to add to my thread - look forward to chatting to you more about this.

For me CI would not work. I have deaf genes. Deaf grandparents and trace back etc.

So asking me probably won't help as I am not and never will be a candidate.QUOTE]

I also have deaf genes: deaf parents and grandparents, uncles.. and now my kids are exhibiting some symptoms of hearing loss, yet I am a candidate for a CI. I don't know what what's in your genes and not that you would even want a CI, but have you even looked into it?

For me CI would not work. I have deaf genes. Deaf grandparents and trace back etc.

So asking me probably won't help as I am not and never will be a candidate.QUOTE]

I also have deaf genes: deaf parents and grandparents, uncles.. and now my kids are exhibiting some symptoms of hearing loss, yet I am a candidate for a CI. I don't know what what's in your genes and not that you would even want a CI, but have you even looked into it?

You do understand that not all deafness is caused by a problem with the cochlea?

You do understand that not all deafness is caused by a problem with the cochlea?

Very true.
However, you really only need to have a healthy auditory nerve and cochlea for the CI to work. If you have NO nerve or no cochlea then you won't qualify.

It's kind of interesting to see who gets qualified or not. It just seems to me that lately more and more profound hearing loss qualify for it.

Do you wear hearing aids? Then you qualify. (At least that what it seems like to me lately). Do you have poor HINT scores? You qualify.

I may be TOTALLY wrong, but this is just my observation.

I don't have a CI for a few reasons. One, I love music. With my very limited hearing I am able to distinguish pitch and enjoy harmony. With a CI I would not be able to do that to the same extent.

I am meeting with a CI audiologist tomorrow actually. I want to ask some questions just to be sure that I am making a completely informed choice at this point. However, if down the road my feelings were to change I would consider it without a doubt!

Just want to point out something - I LOVE music as well (we gotta exchange playlists, I'm dying for NEW music. LOL!). And I can tell you that music sounds much better with CI, hell, 2 CIs, and this is IMO. :) So, I don't know where you got the information that CI cannot distinguish pitch and harmony. I got the CI because of music. My hearing was progressively getting worse and music sounded terrible. After CI, it sounded the SAME, and better. I can pick up the singer's accent much better and clearer. There has been some songs that I had a bit of trouble following the lyrics (I hate listening to the song and not knowing the lyrics!), and I can now with my CI.
I'm not trying to PUSH you into getting the CI. You're doing the right thing by seeing a CI audiologist yourself and ask her questions. Hope you learned some new things and stuff.

I'm glad that you have decided to keep your mind open for "just in case". I didn't want CI for the same reasons you did. However, when my residual hearing got worse, I changed my mind. I assume the same for you.

Just want to point out something - I LOVE music as well (we gotta exchange playlists, I'm dying for NEW music. LOL!). And I can tell you that music sounds much better with CI, hell, 2 CIs, and this is IMO. :) So, I don't know where you got the information that CI cannot distinguish pitch and harmony. I got the CI because of music. My hearing was progressively getting worse and music sounded terrible. After CI, it sounded the SAME, and better. I can pick up the singer's accent much better and clearer. There has been some songs that I had a bit of trouble following the lyrics (I hate listening to the song and not knowing the lyrics!), and I can now with my CI.
I'm not trying to PUSH you into getting the CI. You're doing the right thing by seeing a CI audiologist yourself and ask her questions. Hope you learned some new things and stuff.

I'm glad that you have decided to keep your mind open for "just in case". I didn't want CI for the same reasons you did. However, when my residual hearing got worse, I changed my mind. I assume the same for you.

I met with the audiologist today. It didn't go so well. I wasn't impressed at all. She completely discredited my use of ASL and my life as a Deaf individual. She was telling me how my life would be easier and all of the benefit for speech reading and talking on the phone and so on. She just talked about my life would improve in such a way that it seemed like she didn't think I had a good quality of life now. But I do. I am happy with my life and the way I live it. My ability to communicate is amazing and I don't need a CI to enable me to do that.

It is not right for me at this point. I am not even sure if it would be if my residual hearing dropped. I don't have much anyway (105-120 dB up to 1000Hz and no response beyond that) I am happy with my life as it is now. I don't need it.

I met with the audiologist today. It didn't go so well. I wasn't impressed at all. She completely discredited my use of ASL and my life as a Deaf individual. She was telling me how my life would be easier and all of the benefit for speech reading and talking on the phone and so on. She just talked about my life would improve in such a way that it seemed like she didn't think I had a good quality of life now. But I do. I am happy with my life and the way I live it. My ability to communicate is amazing and I don't need a CI to enable me to do that.

It is not right for me at this point. I am not even sure if it would be if my residual hearing dropped. I don't have much anyway (105-120 dB up to 1000Hz and no response beyond that) I am happy with my life as it is now. I don't need it.

Did u tell the audi that she is being very disrespectful and crossing the line? The next time an audi tells me that, I will tell them that he/she is an audist and go back to school for sensitivity..LOL!

Did u tell the audi that she is being very disrespectful and crossing the line? The next time an audi tells me that, I will tell them that he/she is an audist and go back to school for sensitivity..LOL!

This was a little bit of a complicated situation. A) the audiologist was my audiologists boss, and B) My audiologist was sitting right beside me. Under different circumstances I would have been more forward with my anger. I was passive agressive though...not that it really helped!

This was a little bit of a complicated situation. A) the audiologist was my audiologists boss, and B) My audiologist was sitting right beside me. Under different circumstances I would have been more forward with my anger. I was passive agressive though...not that it really helped!

Hmm...sorry to say, that totally sucks. :-( I have not yet met any audiologist that said that I should stop using ASL. I went to one CI audiologist before I went to the one for Pre-post CI. She was sugar coating it and said, "Oh it will be perfect for you. You qualify, no question about it because you speak well." That's all without testing me in the booth. I was like, "Who is this lady?!"

I went to another one, and she does NOT sugar coat it.

I know you had a bit of a bad experience, but will you be willing to go to another one? Not now, but in the future. Or talk to your audiologist and explain how you feel. Does she support the fact that you use ASL as your primary language? If so, maybe you can explain that you had a bit of a bad experience. That's the only way that the "boss" can learn.

Hugs, and I'm glad you have tried.

Hmm...sorry to say, that totally sucks. :-( I have not yet met any audiologist that said that I should stop using ASL. I went to one CI audiologist before I went to the one for Pre-post CI. She was sugar coating it and said, "Oh it will be perfect for you. You qualify, no question about it because you speak well." That's all without testing me in the booth. I was like, "Who is this lady?!"

I went to another one, and she does NOT sugar coat it.

I know you had a bit of a bad experience, but will you be willing to go to another one? Not now, but in the future. Or talk to your audiologist and explain how you feel. Does she support the fact that you use ASL as your primary language? If so, maybe you can explain that you had a bit of a bad experience. That's the only way that the "boss" can learn.

Hugs, and I'm glad you have tried.

My audiologist and I talked right after. She knows how I feel. She doesn't know that I use ASL as my primary language and she is 100% supportive of it. She is 100% supportive of me and all of my choice actually. I love my audiologist!

I may reconsider down the road, but for now I am happy with what I have.

My audiologist and I talked right after. She knows how I feel. She doesn't know that I use ASL as my primary language and she is 100% supportive of it. She is 100% supportive of me and all of my choice actually. I love my audiologist!

I may reconsider down the road, but for now I am happy with what I have.

Good for you! Glad you spoke out about it. :)

Back