Opinions of Audiologists

My audiologist and I talked right after. She knows how I feel. She doesn't know that I use ASL as my primary language and she is 100% supportive of it. She is 100% supportive of me and all of my choice actually. I love my audiologist!

I may reconsider down the road, but for now I am happy with what I have.

By doesn't I mean does...she does know I use ASL as my primary language...especially since I bug her to learn it every time I see her! :giggle:

My daughter had a mapping yesterday. Her current Audiologist took over in this office about a year ago.

I walked in, sat down and asked her if she knows ASL. (She does, but is afraid she is losing it due to not using it often) I told her we are interested in learning to sign along with my daughter. We discussed the concerns I have with Samantha, blah, blah, blah. She totally blew my mind when she agreed with my concerns and the options we are looking at!!

She DID say that she was supposed to not agree. However, listening to her talk it would have been easy to confuse her with a lot of the people on AD. She thinks that bibi approach would prolly be in our best interest. SHE brought up the fact that the child's emotional well-being as well as social interactions must be taken into account. (A far cry from anything we were told in the beginning)

FINALLY, we have an audiologist that is willing to look at the whole person and their needs. Not just the fact that she is deaf and how to "fix" it...My hat is off to her!

m, //// n/==-77--0o7oo8oo989p8pp87p7p8p8pp8p
My daughter had a mapping yesterday. Her current Audiologist took over in this office about a year ago.

I walked in, sat down and asked her if she knows ASL. (She does, but is afraid she is losing it due to not using it often) I told her we are interested in learning to sign along with my daughter. We discussed the concerns I have with Samantha, blah, blah, blah. She totally blew my mind when she agreed with my concerns and the options we are looking at!!

She DID say that she was supposed to not agree. However, listening to her talk it would have been easy to confuse her with a lot of the people on AD. She thinks that bibi approach would prolly be in our best interest. SHE brought up the fact that the child's emotional well-being as well as social interactions must be taken into account. (A far cry from anything we were told in the beginning)

FINALLY, we have an audiologist that is willing to look at the whole person and their needs. Not just the fact that she is deaf and how to "fix" it...My hat is off to her!

In my time ISD had its own audiologist and assume that they and other deaf schools still have them... those ones wouldn't discriminate ASL for sure.

Yet there are so many audiologists outside the campuses wouldn't bother to recommend or even discriminate ASL so obviously, it is the PROBLEM that we need to demonstrate.

I believe that it would be much better to make your state legislators to pass a new law just like the state of Calif passed over last summer. State of Florida did that back in 1993 and interesting enough; FSDB increased its enrollment sufficiently since then. So many other states need to pass that kind of law underway... so hope that DBC would be effective doing that to help.

Back