Opinions of Audiologists

Chewie

Reaction score
To all who have ever utilized the services of an audiologist - regardless of your designation - what is your opinion of the services you received?

I actually had intentions of becoming an audiologist and I had some mixed emotions prior to entering graduate school. I was accepted into the program two weeks before my wife gave birth to our first child...I had a year to go back...I never did.

I kick myself daily for not following thru...

I am not looking for sympathy on my decision, just maybe some guidance and thoughts on the profession of audiologist...

And now the hard question for those HOH/Deaf members - do you resent an audiologist working with you who is not HOH/Deaf and has little understanding of the deaf culture?

My professor was deaf and had a Masters in Communication Disorders, a Ph.D in Audiology and a Juris Doctorate. I totally looked up to and respected that man...

your opinions please :ty:

I have absolutely no feelings one way or the other toward my audiologist.

I just want to get the most advantage I can from his technology.

I am not going to socialize with him.

Well said! and completely understood!

Thank you..and BTW...charis :laugh2:

I do appreciate and audiologist that knows ASL, though my current audi doesn't.

I have had a lot of problems with my ears in recent months, and with my hearing aids. As a result I have spent much more time with my audiologist than normal. She doesn't know much about Deaf culture but she tries really hard to learn and respects my choices 100%. That is what I want from all of the health care professionals I deal with, respect, understanding, and a willingness to learn. My audiologist is also amazing at trying to understand what I deal with on a daily basis. She also loves her job and it shows! Not to mention she knows her stuff! So even though she doesn't sign and doesn't have a lot of knowledge of the Deaf community she has a lot of other stuff going for her.

I do appreciate and audiologist that knows ASL, though my current audi doesn't.

I have had a lot of problems with my ears in recent months, and with my hearing aids. As a result I have spent much more time with my audiologist than normal. She doesn't know much about Deaf culture but she tries really hard to learn and respects my choices 100%. That is what I want from all of the health care professionals I deal with, respect, understanding, and a willingness to learn. My audiologist is also amazing at trying to understand what I deal with on a daily basis. She also loves her job and it shows! Not to mention she knows her stuff! So even though she doesn't sign and doesn't have a lot of knowledge of the Deaf community she has a lot of other stuff going for her.

Jenny,

Thank you so much for sharing - I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. Much appreciated

I've had 3 diff audis and the current one has been the most "sympathetic" by means of sort of understanding where I am coming from. My audi that was at the childrens hospital sucked and it was a teaching hospital as well, so my audiograms were done by a student who had no emotion what so ever and simply said Hi and didn't explain anything at all. I was never really explained my audiogram until recently which kind of sucks but I know mostly what is what now (thanks jen :)).
My current audi and his family have been around serving the ottawa community since the 1960's I believe so they, as a whole, know more about deaf culture. One of the technicians (I think the nephew, who is also currently getting his masters in audiology) is deaf and their are two employees (that I've seen) that wear hearing aids and since much of their clientele is moving a bit farther due to costs and such they opened up a 2nd office for convenience and they hired 2 new audis (outside the family) but the one I met was very nice and knew her stuff!
I think knowing somewhat about deaf culture (if not extensively about the subj.) is better than knowing nothing at all is best for an audi since they are dealing with hoh/deaf/Deaf on a regular basis. I think it should be mandatory that audi's take a deaf culture course to get to know the culture a bit

As a hearing parent of a Deaf child I have dealt very closely with two different audiologist. Neither of them know much sign. One believes that ASL is a perfectly acceptable choice, but if you use ASL don't expect to get a CI! The other thinks that ASL is for the lazy.

I respect those Audis who understands and respect ASL and deaf needs instead of those who try to make deaf people meet hearing people's communication needs or belittle ASL.

I have been seeing audiologists for many many years, and I have yet to see one who was disrespectful or less than helpful.

Sometimes I think it helps it you have a positive attitude and are not looking for insults.

I have been seeing audiologists for many many years, and I have yet to see one who was disrespectful or less than helpful.

Sometimes I think it helps it you have a positive attitude and are not looking for insults.

I have seen a few audiologists outside of my regular in the last few months. All of them first asked why I didn't have a CI, if I was looking into it, if I had information, if I wanted meet a doctor to talk about, and so on. I find that to be disrespectful especially after I say I am not interested.

I have also had an ENT (one of the best in the country apperently) look at me, look at my audiogram, and say that hearing aids will never help me and I need to get a cochlear implant. Then he proceeded to tell me he would set up an appointment with one of his audiologists to do a full hearing evaluation. He failed to mention it was to do qualifying tests for a CI...I found out before the appointment and cancelled it but I also found that to be disrespectful.

My current audi respects me and my choices 100%. I am meeting with a CI audiologist in coming weeks just to get more information so I can feel like I am making a fully informed choice, and when I told my audi I wanted to she didn't ask questions and is setting it up for me. I am not being forced into it, I am not forced into anything, and my choices are never questioned by her. She knows I use ASL to communicate more often than not and she is fine with it. I have had some audis who try to put me into a box and then try to 'fix' me. Well, I am not broken!

Bottesini, just because you haven't come across an audiologist that is disrespectful doesn't mean they aren't out there. If I recall correctly you don't sign either. That would create a difference in opinion on this particular topid seeing as you are not Deaf, but deaf.

I have seen a few audiologists outside of my regular in the last few months. All of them first asked why I didn't have a CI, if I was looking into it, if I had information, if I wanted meet a doctor to talk about, and so on. I find that to be disrespectful especially after I say I am not interested.

I have also had an ENT (one of the best in the country apperently) look at me, look at my audiogram, and say that hearing aids will never help me and I need to get a cochlear implant. Then he proceeded to tell me he would set up an appointment with one of his audiologists to do a full hearing evaluation. He failed to mention it was to do qualifying tests for a CI...I found out before the appointment and cancelled it but I also found that to be disrespectful.

My current audi respects me and my choices 100%. I am meeting with a CI audiologist in coming weeks just to get more information so I can feel like I am making a fully informed choice, and when I told my audi I wanted to she didn't ask questions and is setting it up for me. I am not being forced into it, I am not forced into anything, and my choices are never questioned by her. She knows I use ASL to communicate more often than not and she is fine with it. I have had some audis who try to put me into a box and then try to 'fix' me. Well, I am not broken!

Bottesini, just because you haven't come across an audiologist that is disrespectful doesn't mean they aren't out there. If I recall correctly you don't sign either. That would create a difference in opinion on this particular topid seeing as you are not Deaf, but deaf.

Actually you are not correct. I am capable of sign and do occasionaly use it.

And as an adult you won't be forced into anything if you take a stand for yourself.

I really think the Deaf/deaf designation is stupid. But as the only deaf student in a hearing school with no deaf community, you are "deaf' too.

Get over yourself.

Nad

For everyone with a hearing loss, it is a matter of deciding whether to treat it as an audiological perspective or as a cultural lifestyle. It's all about choices, comfort level, mode of communication, and acceptance of hearing loss. Whatever the decision, the NAD represents all deaf and hard of hearing Americans, and advocacy work that the NAD does is of benefit to everyone, regardless of the type of hearing loss and background.

Difference Between Deaf and Hard of Hearing - National Association of the Deaf

The philosophy of NAD plus a link to the site. This separation where we fight each other sets all of us back. NAD is trying to unify.

And while I am ranting, I would not want a CI either. But keep in mind even if your audiologist offends you by bringing up the possibility, there are people who have suffered much worse effects from their deafness such as Pinky and Whisperhorse, who really would like a CI.

How would the audiologist know who would like to know about it if they say nothing?
Be a self advocate, but don't insist the world has to fit your mold!

I, too, think the D/d appellation is so wrong on so many levels. It does nothing to bring us all together.

As a hearing parent of a Deaf child I have dealt very closely with two different audiologist. Neither of them know much sign. One believes that ASL is a perfectly acceptable choice, but if you use ASL don't expect to get a CI! The other thinks that ASL is for the lazy.

Well, that's two more audis to stay the heck away from! For me, anyway....

To all of you who have responded...

This really does help...but makes me scared that I will screw up. I try hard to make sure I do not offend and that people like me...this can be a problem at times - because I am trying to make everyone my friend and cannot always make the stand I want to.

I can't sign!

I can fingerspell - SLOWLY...

I am a hearie and do not have immediate family that is deaf or even HOH.

I cannot imagine what it is like to not be able to hear...and at the same time, someone posted a thread about "what is it like to be hearing?" and I cannot even explain that even though I have been for 34+ years.

I don't want anyone to think I am looking upon them as superior or inferior.

I don't want to look at people who sign or have CI or hearing aids and stare...but...I am facinated...like a magnet I am drawn...WHY?
I hope it is because I care about people in general and because I don't understand I want to learn.

Thank you all for helping me - don;t stop helping us ignorant (yet trying) hearies.

For everyone with a hearing loss, it is a matter of deciding whether to treat it as an audiological perspective or as a cultural lifestyle. It's all about choices, comfort level, mode of communication, and acceptance of hearing loss. Whatever the decision, the NAD represents all deaf and hard of hearing Americans, and advocacy work that the NAD does is of benefit to everyone, regardless of the type of hearing loss and background.

Difference Between Deaf and Hard of Hearing - National Association of the Deaf

The philosophy of NAD plus a link to the site. This separation where we fight each other sets all of us back. NAD is trying to unify.

And while I am ranting, I would not want a CI either. But keep in mind even if your audiologist offends you by bringing up the possibility, there are people who have suffered much worse effects from their deafness such as Pinky and Whisperhorse, who really would like a CI.

How would the audiologist know who would like to know about it if they say nothing?
Be a self advocate, but don't insist the world has to fit your mold!

I have read about and watched videos about this...but...what is the argument in your eyes about CI?
I realize it is incredibly invasive...but please elaborate...again...I am just looking for knowledge and your "ranting" is also helpful - that way I know what you are passionate about and care about.

I have read about and watched videos about this...but...what is the argument in your eyes about CI?
I realize it is incredibly invasive...but please elaborate...again...I am just looking for knowledge and your "ranting" is also helpful - that way I know what you are passionate about and care about.

For me CI would not work. I have deaf genes. Deaf grandparents and trace back etc.

So asking me probably won't help as I am not and never will be a candidate.

If you check the threads on CI specifically, you will be able to read two years worth of argument.

And don't worry too much about being everyone friend. A lot of us are pretty snarly, but depending on the issue we can get along.

Back