Opinion about deaf humor?

Oh I understand.

A more intelligent person to talk to, it seems.

Right. He's just blind, not deafblind.

be careful misunderstand. it sometimes miscommunication problem reading careful. I understand you feeling. I notice you some misunderstand your betweens. sometimes misunderstand miscommunication is normal.

I know experience misunderstand. we don't be blame to it

what is means on issues on exactly on clear to clarity understood. I expect to you show up barrier to communication block or reading confusing :) we know alots of misunderstand is normal many people have mistake misunderstand. I always ask to people exactly clear to specific pardon how clear understand!

"I know one sign. Middle finger" :lol:

:laugh2:....Right on....while I was in the hospital, this man came up to me and started talking...He did look "super silly" with the hospital gown on....:giggle:...He asked me "where did you get that Robe"?...I replied as best as I could that I brought it from Home....then I told him I was Deaf....

Then he leaned over to me and cupped his hand around his ear...and "mouthed the words"..."I want that Robe!"....

It pissed me off for some reason....:giggle:...so I gave him the Finger!...(even shocking myself, as usually I'm pretty cool and calm/collected)....He backed off and started walking back down the hall....stopped and looked back at me...I gave him another "Finger"....

The nurses saw all of this and the look on their faces was priceless....as they had been telling me I was the "perfect patient"...and I reminded them of "Doris Day".....

So....ooooppps!...sorry, fellow Deafies...hope I didn't give anyone a bad impression of the Deafies....:giggle:

Why would the guy cup his hands over his ear and not his mouth ??

something relates with Deaf so he try to image that he was deaf and can communite with RR. lots of strangers have strange thinking ways to communicate with Deaf people.

something relates with Deaf so he try to image that he was deaf and can communite with RR. lots of strangers have strange thinking ways to communicate with Deaf people.

Yeah , like the DR. talking right into my HA . He has an accent and I was having a hard time understanding the DR. I was totally taken by surprise that a DR. would do something so dumb. I can't see his face if he has it in my ear!

Yeah , like the DR. talking right into my HA . He has an accent and I was having a hard time understanding the DR. I was totally taken by surprise that a DR. would do something so dumb. I can't see his face if he has it in my ear!

I know! lol I hate that when they talk to my ear.. :lol:

I honestly do not find it acceptable. I mean would you like to be made fun of over something you had absolutely no control over? I wouldnt think so. society as a whole are just inconsiderate people. People need to learn to respect one another again.

deaf_and_the_blind.jpg

:laugh2:....good one!....:laugh2:

To me, deaf humor means the jokes and stories that members within the deaf community tell to each other that relate to their life experiences. The CODA Brothers videos are a good example of that.

Jokes told about deaf people by hearing people or used to denigrate or mock deaf people is not deaf humor. That is just plain bad taste low-life mocking. I find that people who mock deafness usually also mock other personal features and ethnicities. In other words, jerks.

If it gives a deaf person a good laugh, that's deaf humor. If it causes a deaf person to cringe, that's not deaf humor.

Tuatara, did you used to be amylynne? If yes, what happened?

One example of the difference between hearing and Deaf humour is the use of puns where the joke is using similar sounding words that have different meanings.
Example:
Q. What is the difference between Joan of Arc and Noah's Ark?
A. One was made of wood and the other was Maid of Orleans.

I am hearing, but I am a big fan of 'That Deaf Guy' comics. He gives insight into his own life as a deaf man with his hearing wife and hearing CODA, but he also adds great humor into it.

Why do you think I am making it sound like you are more of an idiot than hearing people? I didn't say that at all, and I don't understand why you are pissed off at me.

That is something I think most people never knew, the reason why waiters/waitresses sometimes give those menus to deaf people. I never knew it until growing silent posted it. It makes sense now that I read it. I think that most people hear the story about deaf people getting braille menus think the waiters/waitresses are being stupid or insulting. I think most people, deaf or hearing, think this when they first learn about it. I am not differentiating between the two. When I read the explanation, it was amazing, to finally understand this good reason. I like it when things finally make sense. I would think that anyone, deaf or hearing, would also like for things to make sense. That is all.

I don't think I'm engaging in nonsense. I don't think I'm having nerve, nor am I making stupid remarks/exclamations. I am definitely not telling you what you should or should not do. And I'm not out of line.

You bet I am hearing instead of d/Deaf or HOH? Of course I am hearing. I have been clear about my hearing status since I first joined. I introduced myself as hearing, explained my reasons for being here, and it's also on my profile page. I have never ever pretended to be deaf.

And I am not looking down on you or anyone. Being hearing does not automatically mean looking down on deaf people, or thinking that you are a child.

And I am not abusing you. After reading your post, I have to say that you are abusing me.

No you better reread her post, she was responding to amylynne's post
not you.

I was out shopping with my daughter and granddaughter and Finlay, my hearing dog. I was watching my grandchild while my daughter looked at some clothes . Finlay had on his orange jacket , leash and collar which all had 'hearing dog' printed on them . A saleswoman come up to me and
ask me "If I was blind".I told her his my hearing dog and that I was busy watching my grandchild. The saleswoman asked me a second time "If I was blind" and I was like WTF! If I was blind how could I be watching my grandchild??? I was not holding onto her hand ,I was walking around the store with her. I had a few people come up to me and asked if I as blind when I was shopping with Finlay . I HAD to bring my dog with all the time because the guy lived upstairs. said my dog barked when I left him home. He was the only person that complained because he hated me and my dog.

The Sale clerk or the Salewoman was just asking you like she was wondering what would happen if you were blind. You or she were all pissed off at the comments that the salewoman asked. You did come up with one sentence to answer her question that if you or she was blind, how could you or she be watching your or her grandchild? The rest of the sentences did explain to the salewoman what she wanted to know. I think she knew that you were d/Deaf. She could see what was on the dog as a hearing dog. But the salewoman was just curious. So the word is "If" in wondering what if?

I don't know if that is funny or not. :hmm:

Back