One dead in movie theater shooting in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said the Supreme Court ruled that signs carry no legal weight. I said the Supreme Court ruled that it is an individual right to carry a firearm. It is a federal law and a federal right. I did mention that signs in Florida (I am pretty sure I was specific about this) carry no legal weight in regards to prohibiting firearms (with exemptions on places considered off limits - a movie theater not being one of them).

Any more smoke and mirrors Jiro?

here ya go!

But the recent Supreme Court ruling on the 2nd Amendment stated that signs carry no legal weight. That it is an individual right to carry a firearm.

HR 218 was signed into law in 2004 and I ***think*** qualified retired officers are legally allowed to carry on private property.

I am not sure though ...

(and no, I am not trying to quibble ... I just think the recent ruling may have changed everything)

I never said the Supreme Court ruled that signs carry no legal weight. I said the Supreme Court ruled that it is an individual right to carry a firearm. It is a federal law and a federal right. I did mention that signs in Florida (I am pretty sure I was specific about this) carry no legal weight in regards to prohibiting firearms (with exemptions on places considered off limits - a movie theater not being one of them).

Any more smoke and mirrors Jiro?

Chicago and DC case? US Supreme Court only applies for citizens to arm firearm for self-defense in their home, so Chicago and DC can't completely ban on guns.

Are you serious with your statement, or you are just playing with us?

For example below.

Real Steinhauer: Shoot at someone over throwing popcorn is not smart move.

Alternate Steinhauer: Shoot at someone over throwing popcorn is justifiable for self defense under SYG.

If you are just playing with me so time to load "Real" Steinhauer.

I am not understanding the question. But, I will attempt to answer what I think you are asking.

I never said the shooting was justified. I never discussed the guilt or the innocence of either party. All I have been discussing were possible scenarios.

I wasn't talking about revering Curtis, I was talking about different cultural perspectives in regards to LEO's. It was just an example I was using to explain that observing different cultural perspectives on what is considered rude behaviour can also reflect on their perspectives of authority figures (like LEO's for example).

For example, if a sub culture reviles LEO's it could be for several different reasons. It could be that the LEO's that this sub-culture has been exposed to are corrupt. Or, the sub-culture is actually involved in gang activity and they see LEO's as a threat to their existence - therefore, they are reviled.

In yet other cultures where LEO's are revered, it could be that LEO's are involved in the community in outreach programs for the homeless, help save lives, etc. and they are looked upon as heroes.

All I was doing was attempting to explain that there are, indeed, different cultural perspectives in regards to rude behaviour and this explanation of how authority figures are viewed was just an extension.

1. Curtis is not a LEO
2. Curtis didn't identify himself as LEO
3. Curtis is just a regular folk like Chad

and you don't need to explain to me about how different culture views LEO as. I don't know what is this "sub-culture" you speak of but that sounds pretty racist and insulting. are you a cultural anthropologist?

beside... this is irrelevant to this thread. I don't know how did we get from "cutting in a line" to worshipping LEO. in case you're confused... I'm trying to understand your contradiction about "not cutting in a line" as an internationally-recognized rule" and your "maybe it's different in your cultural upbringing" comment.

I am not understanding the question. But, I will attempt to answer what I think you are asking.

I never said the shooting was justified. I never discussed the guilt or the innocence of either party. All I have been discussing were possible scenarios.

I'm just questioning - if you are serious with your statement - reflect to your belief or you are just play game with members to get different outcome?

I don't know if you are really serious with your belief or playing game with members.

all of your only possible scenarios are Chad as a bully and Curtis as a poor old frail man.

here ya go!

That it is an individual right to carry a firearm

Yeah, you are right, that does look like I said the US Supreme Court ruled that signs carry no legal weight.

So, did the US Supreme Court rule that signs do carry legal weight? Nope, they did not. I guess you know what that means then. What they did rule was that it is an individual right to bear arms. Therefore, a sign prohibiting this right has no legal bearing.

:giggle:

there ya go!!

Yeah, you are right, that does look like I said the US Supreme Court ruled that signs carry no legal weight.

So, did the US Supreme Court rule that signs do carry legal weight? Nope, they did not. I guess you know what that means then. What they did rule was that it is an individual right to bear arms. Therefore, a sign prohibiting this right has no legal bearing.

:giggle:

there ya go!!

you're.... a very bizarre person with a very bizarre way of backpedaling...

1. Curtis is not a LEO
2. Curtis didn't identify himself as LEO
3. Curtis is just a regular folk like Chad

and you don't need to explain to me about how different culture views LEO as. I don't know what is this "sub-culture" you speak of but that sounds pretty racist and insulting. are you a cultural anthropologist?

beside... this is irrelevant to this thread. I don't know how did we get from "cutting in a line" to worshipping LEO. in case you're confused... I'm trying to understand your contradiction about "not cutting in a line" as an internationally-recognized rule" and your "maybe it's different in your cultural upbringing" comment.

1. I was not talking about Curtis
2. I was not talking about Curtis
3. Wait maybe I was .. uh .. no ... I was not talking about Curtis.

Oh yeah, that .. about cutting in line. Well, you see, about that Jiro, I kind of always thought you were from New Jersey. And ... recently, there was this article not too long ago about the rudest places on earth, and Newark, New Jersey came in at number 1. Nope, not making this up. They even beat Islamabad. So, I kind of figured that maybe since New Jersey came in at number 1, that cutting in line was the norm up there maybe?

And yeah, it was an international poll. You thought I was being a racist?? well, bless your heart.

1. I was not talking about Curtis
2. I was not talking about Curtis
3. Wait maybe I was .. uh .. no ... I was not talking about Curtis.

you missed 2 questions.

1. are you a cultural anthropologist?
2. which one is it? (about internationally recognized rule and whatnot)

let me know if you have no intention in answering these questions so that we can move on.

Oh, here is the article (since you are always asking for references and I know you would appreciate it - just trying to be helpful) :wave:

Newark Named World

According to the informal, unscientific survey of 46,000 readers, Newark is more unfriendly than Islamabad, Pakistan (#2); Oakland, Calif. (#3); Luanda, Angola (#4) and Kuwait City, Kuwait (#5).

Adding insult to injury for the Garden State, readers rated Atlantic City the world’s ninth-most unfriendly burg.

I, of course, understand it was an unscientific and informal survey ... but it was what I was thinking about when I made the cultural differences statement, as well as the internationally recognized rule for standing in line.

If rude behaviour is culturally the norm for New Jersey, then something that is not considered the norm, like say .. in Islamabad (yay!! you guys beat them way to go!!) then the same behaviour displayed may tend to be more offensive there but not in New Jersey. Like say, for example, the internationally recognized rule that cutting in line is rude behaviour. If the survey is accurate, then we can ascertain that cutting in line in Islamabad would be far more offensive than it would be in Newark, New Jersey, since the norm there is to be rude.

Oh, here is the article (since you are always asking for references and I know you would appreciate it - just trying to be helpful) :wave:

Newark Named World

I, of course, understand it was an unscientific and informal survey ... but it was what I was thinking about when I made the cultural differences statement, as well as the internationally recognized rule for standing in line.

If rude behaviour is culturally the norm for New Jersey, then something that is not considered the norm, like say .. in Islamabad (yay!! you guys beat them way to go!!) then the same behaviour displayed may tend to be more offensive there but not in New Jersey.

um.... the article is talking about "world’s most unfriendly city”.... not how rude...

oh dear oh dear...

you missed 2 questions.

1. are you a cultural anthropologist?
2. which one is it? (about internationally recognized rule and whatnot)

let me know if you have no intention in answering these questions so that we can move on.

I studied anthropology but I am not a practicing cultural anthropologist. I am a published epistemologist. I do not share my work, I bombard internet chat rooms with highly critical and analytical feedback. I am often asked for advice from psychiatrists working in the field, and from time to time I am also asked for advice from ... wow, never even thought this would be important ... a cultural anthropologist from Norway. I even participated in a Norwegian anthropological documentary that was filmed in 1998-1999.

There, I hope that answered your question. I answered your other question already. can we move on now?

um.... the article is talking about "world’s most unfriendly city”.... not how rude...

oh dear oh dear...

So .. just to clarify where you are going with this ... does unfriendly mean being polite, or does it mean to be rude?

I am seriously having trouble with this dilemma and hope you can shed some light on this very important subject for me. Thanks in advance.

I studied anthropology but I am not a practicing cultural anthropologist. I am a published epistemologist. I do not share my work, I bombard internet chat rooms with highly critical and analytical feedback. I am often asked for advice from psychiatrists working in the field, and from time to time I am also asked for advice from ... wow, never even thought this would be important ... a cultural anthropologist from Norway. I even participated in a Norwegian anthropological documentary that was filmed in 1998-1999.

There, I hope that answered your question. I answered your other question already. can we move on now?
you?

32.jpg

nope!!! that did not even remotely answer my question at all and based on your post above... you don't even need to bother answering my questions!!! :laugh2:

oh steiny steiny steiny... bless ye heart...

So .. just to clarify where you are going with this ... does unfriendly mean being polite, or does it mean to be rude?
or... it just means not nice. you can be unfriendly and polite.

I am seriously having trouble with this dilemma and hope you can shed some light on this very important subject for me. Thanks in advance.

dilemma? what dilemma?

but here in the steamy hot south, being unfriendly is considered rude. :D

sweet tea... fried shrimp... mashed potatoes... banana pudding... pulled pork in southern BBQ... fried chicken... bible book... little Atlanta guide... cajun food... Louisiana hot spicy sauce... big breakfast... y'all... Shoney's... Milo's... Jack's... Waffle House (YUCK!!!)... Krystal... Cracker Barrel...

sweet tea... fried shrimp... mashed potatoes... banana pudding... pulled pork in southern BBQ... fried chicken... bible book... little Atlanta guide... cajun food... Louisiana hot spicy sauce... big breakfast... y'all... Shoney's... Milo's... Jack's... Waffle House (YUCK!!!)... Krystal... Cracker Barrel...

don't forget revivals and being baptized in a river full of alligators and water moccasins.

PRAISE JAAAAAAAAYYYZZZZUUUUUS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back