Omg!

i think SC is usually online in AD during daytime and rarely at night.

Yes that's correct. I surely would have discovered this thread sooner had i used it in the evening.

Hello, everyone. Sorry I'm so late to this thread. I am fine and doing alright. :wave: I am touched that there was concern for me. :aw: I was on Metro yesterday evening but I was on a completely different train. There was a bit of delay in my going home but all in all, it was smooth going.

:ty:

Good to know you are safe and sound, girl!

Hello, everyone. Sorry I'm so late to this thread. I am fine and doing alright. :wave: I am touched that there was concern for me. :aw: I was on Metro yesterday evening but I was on a completely different train. There was a bit of delay in my going home but all in all, it was smooth going.

:ty:

Glad u are alright. :)

:wave: SC. good to know that my First Lady is safe and sound. My men did their job well. I will reward them with... 30 min extra for lunch break :mad2:

glad everyone here is fine....it's sad to see like 7 or 9 people killed....

This thread got me :cold:

I´m glad that your hubby is very lucky.

It´s very sad to know that the people killed. My sympathy goes victim´s families. :(

I'm glad your hubby and SC are doing okay and safe. :shock:

I can't believe it happened... :(

Lawmaker to seek $3 billion for Metro transit improvements

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said Wednesday that he plans to seek $3 billion for Metro transit capital improvements, just days after a crash between two trains killed nine people.

A large part of the investigation into Monday's crash is focusing on the outdated train of six cars that slammed into a stationary train in front of it. All the fatalities were on that train, Metro transit spokeswoman Angela Gates said Wednesday.

Debris from the crash was removed Wednesday.

The front car of the rear train was severely damaged, leaving minimal space for survivability, said Debbie Hersman, the lead investigator from the National Transportation Board. The driver of that train died.

According to one report, 50 feet of the 75 feet in that lead car were lost to the accident, leaving only one-third of the space after the impact.

"The safety of our citizens is our highest priority, and we must take every precaution that this loss of life does not occur again," Hoyer, of Maryland, said Wednesday.

"In the very near future, I will be joining with my colleagues from my region in introducing the final measure required to authorize $3 billion in dedicated federal and local funding for Metro," Hoyer said.

"Millions and millions of tourists from throughout this nation ride on this system, as well as tens of thousands of the employees who work for this country."

"We received formal notice from the governors of Maryland, Virginia and the mayor of the District of Columbia that the jurisdictions had amended the [Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority] compact to enable such funding just last week. I hope we can move quickly to pass this legislation critical to meeting Metro's capital and maintenance needs," Hoyer added.

The Series 1000 cars, purchased between 1974 and 1978, are among the oldest in the fleet of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. They make up one-quarter of its 1,126 cars, or nearly 300 cars, Gates said.

The NTSB recommended in 2006, after a 2004 accident, that the old cars be eliminated or retrofitted with up-to-date safety technology.

"Our recommendation was not addressed, so [the case] has been closed in inacceptable status," Hersman said Tuesday. VideoWatch Hersman talk about previous warnings »

The NTSB has no regulatory powers and can't force implementation.

At $3 million per car, the agency can't afford to replace them all at once, Gates said. Each car has a 40-year life and could last until fiscal year 2015, she added.

"So we've taken steps to keep them in good condition" and have been phasing them out as new cars are bought, she said. That plan hasn't gone as quickly as anticipated, however, because of an increase in ridership.

The transit agency has said it will ask the federal government for help in replacing the old cars.

The lead train in the crash contained newer 5000-Series and 3000-Series cars. These have data recorders, which will aid the investigation a great deal if they aren't damaged, Hersman said. The recorders provide information on such things as speed, braking and emergency applications. She said there were no recorders on the rear train.

The Metro board is "aggressively seeking" to replace the 1000-Series cars, Chairman Jim Graham said Tuesday.

Meanwhile, investigators are looking into why the computerized emergency system that is supposed to activate when Metro transit trains get too close to each other didn't appear to kick in before this week's fatal crash.

"The design of the system is set up to keep trains separated, to have positive separation between trains, to control speeds, to give them speed information. And so what we're trying to figure out is what happened in this accident," Hersman told CNN's "American Morning" on Wednesday. VideoWatch Hersman talk about the computer systems »

She said investigators planned to spend the day running tests on the train tracks and brakes and examine maintenance records.

The rear train was being operated in automatic mode, which is the normal operating procedure during rush hour. Washington trains are being operated manually until the cause of the crash is determined, Hersman said.

She said there is no indication that any of the brakes on the rear train failed before it rear-ended the other train.

"Our investigators on scene yesterday did find some evidence of emergency brake application. They found the emergency mushroom, which is a button that was depressed in the control cab, and they also examined the wheels and the brakes, and they found that the rotors showed some bluing," Hersman said.

"That bluing is consistent with an emergency brake application," she said later.

Bluing indicates that the rotors have been subjected to extremely high temperatures, and this can be caused by hard stops.

The wreck occurred along the Red Line just before 5 p.m. Monday on an above-ground track near Takoma Park, Maryland.

Both trains were on the same track, traveling in the same direction: south from the Takoma station to the Fort Totten Metrorail station to the Shady Grove station.

The train in front had stopped behind another train undergoing service and was awaiting directions to move ahead.

It is the worst Metro transit accident in the agency's 33 years of operation.

should have done that before :roll:

D.C. Metro crash: The victims' stories

D.C. Metro crash: The victims' stories

06/23/09 10:18 PM EDT

The people on Red Line trains 112 and 214 were mostly strangers to each other when they boarded. They are now known to — and mourned by — entire communities of strangers.

Metro officials said Tuesday that they would immediately establish a $250,000 fund for the victims and their families.

The nine lives that were ended by that horrific late-afternoon crash Monday were a snapshot of the life and breath of the nation’s capital.

The dead ranged from a general fresh into his retirement to a woman trying to raise six kids while cleaning houses at night; from an aspiring beautician to a former expatriate who liked to be called “cowgirl.”

They were:

David and Ann Wherley

Retired Maj. Gen. David Wherley, former commander of the D.C. Army and Air National Guard, and his wife, Ann, were among the fatalities. The Wherleys were both 62.

David Wherley commanded the 113th Wing at Andrews Air Force Base. The couple lived in Washington’s Hill East neighborhood, and the general could often be seen walking to and from the armory.

Mayor Adrian Fenty on Tuesday called Wherley a “fine public servant.”

He joined the Army Reserve as a second lieutenant in 1969. After a brief tour of active duty, he joined the D.C. Air Guard. According to his National Guard biography, he was deputy operations group commander for fighters in Saudi Arabia.

Wherley was the officer who scrambled fighters into Washington’s skies on the day of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
“Most of our members have lived in the D.C. area for much of their lives,” Wherley said in an interview a few days after the attacks. “To be patrolling and looking down on their homes, that has been an emotional moment.”

The couple were enjoying retired life and had recently celebrated the birth of a grandchild, neighbors said.

Ann Wherley had worked as a loan officer for many years and was a member of a garden club, neighbors said. She “just had a sweet disposition,” neighbor Thomas Roy said. – Bill Myers and Alan Suderman

Ana Fernandez

Fernandez was a 40-year-old mother of six on her way to a housecleaning job in the District when she died, according to family members.

Fernandez’s children range in age from nearly 2 years old to 21. Originally from El Salvador, she’d been in this country for about 10 years, friends said.

Family and friends gathered outside her Hyattsville apartment Tuesday to grieve and remember her.

They described her as an active churchgoer who liked to sing gospel songs loudly around her apartment.

Her husband, Oscar Flores, said through a translator they’d been legally married for a year but planned on having a traditional ceremony in a church sometime in the near future. He said she’d recently bought a wedding dress on a trip to El Salvador.

Though his eyes were bloodshot from crying, Flores smiled when he recalled for reporters that he’d once teased his wife after she’d gotten a haircut she didn’t like.

Asked what he’d remember most about her, Flores responded “todos,” meaning everything. – Alan Suderman

Jeanice McMillan

Jeanice McMillan, DC Metro train crash victimHer neighbors knew her as Janice, but Metro officials called her Jeanice E. McMillan. She’s now known as the 42-year-old operator whose aging rail car slammed into the back of a stopped train Monday on the Red Line.

McMillan began working for the transit agency in January 2007 as a bus driver. A National Transportation Safety Board official said McMillan began operating trains for Metro in March.

McMillan’s son, Jordan — home for the summer after finishing his freshman year at a college in Virginia — first heard the news of his mother’s death 7 p.m. Monday when a reporter called her Springfield apartment looking for details, neighbor Joanne Harrison said.

Harrison had rushed across the hall to McMillan’s apartment, knowing Jordan would be there alone and worrying about his mother.

“We knew it was a female operator,” Harrison said. “Jordan said he had called [McMillan’s] cell phone, but there was no answer.”

Harrison, McMillan and another neighbor, Alisha Anderson, were a tight-knit group on the fourth floor of the high-rise at 6700 Metropolitan Center Drive.

“I just want to tell them all that Janice is sorry to be involved in this accident,” Harrison said, referring to the families of the riders who died in Monday’s accident. “She would be brokenhearted if it was her fault.” – Freeman Klopott and Elinor Flynn

Mandy Doolittle

Mandy Doolittle, DC Metro train crash victimDoolittle, 59, was on her way home from her job at the American Nurses Association in Silver Spring when the crash occurred.

“She was a bright spot in everybody’s day,” said her boss, Jeanne Floyd. “She was just attuned to everyone around her. Her day was, ‘What can I do for you?’ ”

Doolittle was originally from Texas and loved traveling out West. She and Floyd, another Westerner, called each other “cowgirl.” Doolittle and her partner were planning on a trip next month, Floyd recalled.

Jada Leng, another co-worker of Doolittle’s, had been on an earlier train back to the District and saw the television report about the crash.

“I was thinking about all my co-workers who take it,” Leng said. “This morning, we went around to see who was here and who wasn’t.”

Nurses Association spokeswoman Mary McNamara said that one other association employee was injured in Monday’s crash.

Doolittle had worked as a senior administrative assistant since 1998, handling the credentials of overseas nursing schools, McNamara said. Having lived in Italy in her younger days, Doolittle was adept at cultivating the respect of health care officials everywhere, Floyd said.

“This went across the world,” she said. – Bill Myers

LaVonda King

Lavonda King, DC Metro train crash victimKing, 23, was heading to pick up her two sons from day care when she was killed, close friend Danita Delaney said. King was engaged, Delaney said, and just three weeks ago had bought a hair salon in Forestville and named it “LaVonda’s House of Beauty.”

“After she established herself as a cosmetologist, she also wanted to buy a car,” Delaney said. “She was trying to make a better life for her family.”

King had spoken to her mother on the phone right before she boarded the train.

“I liked the fact that she was very prim and proper, very ladylike,” Delaney remembered. – Hayley Peterson

Dennis Hawkins

Dennis Hawkins, DC subway crash victimHawkins, 64, had left for the day from Whittier Education Center in Northwest, where a co-worker said he was a data entry clerk.

Loretta Smith said Hawkins was single and “a marvelous, wonderful man.”

“He was a church-going man,” she added.

Smith said she worked at the desk next to Hawkins for five years.

“The last thing he said to me was ‘See you tomorrow, Smitty!’ ” she said. – Maria Schmitt

Veronica Dubose

Veronica Dubose, DC Metro train crash victimDubose’s stepmother said the 29-year-old worked and went to school in the evenings to support two young children.

YaVonne Dubose said her stepdaughter Veronica was heading to her first day of school Monday for certification classes that might have allowed her to work 9-to-5 hours as a certified nursing assistant.

Her 8-year-old son, Raja, and 18-month-old daughter, Ava, were her top priority, her stepmother said.

“She was a trooper,” Dubose said. “If she was on the side of the road with a flat tire, she would change it herself before she would ask for help.” – AP

Cameron Williams

Authorities on Tuesday night released Williams’ name as one of the crash fatalities. No further information on him was immediately available.

D.C. Metro crash: The victims' stories | Washington Examiner

'Anomaly' discovered in Metro track control circuit

'Anomaly' discovered in Metro track control circuit
'Anomaly' discovered in Metro track control circuit - CNN.com

Transportation investigators said Wednesday that they have discovered an "anomaly" in a control circuit of a track where a crash between two Washington subway trains killed nine people.

Debbie Hersman of the National Transportation Safety Board said each section of a track has a circuit that transmits and receives signals that generate speed commands for trains.

Hersman said investigators found no problems in five of the six circuits on the 740 feet long stretch of track in the area of the crash. But they found "anomalies" with the sixth circuit.

She would not say what those anomalies were but said further tests would be conducted Wednesday to try to determine what caused the deadly accident.

Meanwhile Wednesday, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said he plans to seek $3 billion for Metro transit capital improvements, just days after a crash between two trains killed nine people.

A large part of the investigation into Monday's crash is focusing on the outdated train of six cars that slammed into a stationary train in front of it. All the fatalities were on that train, Metro transit spokeswoman Angela Gates said Wednesday.

Debris from the crash was removed Wednesday.

The front car of the rear train was severely damaged, leaving minimal space for survivability, said Debbie Hersman, the lead investigator from the National Transportation Board. The driver of that train died.

According to one report, 50 feet of the 75 feet in that lead car were lost to the accident, leaving only one-third of the space after the impact.

"The safety of our citizens is our highest priority, and we must take every precaution that this loss of life does not occur again," Hoyer, of Maryland, said Wednesday.

"In the very near future, I will be joining with my colleagues from my region in introducing the final measure required to authorize $3 billion in dedicated federal and local funding for Metro," Hoyer said.

"Millions and millions of tourists from throughout this nation ride on this system, as well as tens of thousands of the employees who work for this country."

"We received formal notice from the governors of Maryland, Virginia and the mayor of the District of Columbia that the jurisdictions had amended the [Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority] compact to enable such funding just last week. I hope we can move quickly to pass this legislation critical to meeting Metro's capital and maintenance needs," Hoyer added.

The Series 1000 cars, purchased between 1974 and 1978, are among the oldest in the fleet of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. They make up one-quarter of its 1,126 cars, or nearly 300 cars, Gates said.

The NTSB recommended in 2006, after a 2004 accident, that the old cars be eliminated or retrofitted with up-to-date safety technology.

"Our recommendation was not addressed, so [the case] has been closed in inacceptable status," Hersman said Tuesday.

The NTSB has no regulatory powers and can't force implementation.

At $3 million per car, the agency can't afford to replace them all at once, Gates said. Each car has a 40-year life and could last until fiscal year 2015, she added.

"So we've taken steps to keep them in good condition" and have been phasing them out as new cars are bought, she said. That plan hasn't gone as quickly as anticipated, however, because of an increase in ridership.

The transit agency has said it will ask the federal government for help in replacing the old cars.

The lead train in the crash contained newer 5000-Series and 3000-Series cars. These have data recorders, which will aid the investigation a great deal if they aren't damaged, Hersman said. The recorders provide information on such things as speed, braking and emergency applications. She said there were no recorders on the rear train.

The Metro board is "aggressively seeking" to replace the 1000-Series cars, Chairman Jim Graham said Tuesday.

Meanwhile, investigators are looking into why the computerized emergency system that is supposed to activate when Metro transit trains get too close to each other didn't appear to kick in before this week's fatal crash.

"The design of the system is set up to keep trains separated, to have positive separation between trains, to control speeds, to give them speed information. And so what we're trying to figure out is what happened in this accident," Hersman told CNN's "American Morning" on Wednesday.

She said investigators planned to spend the day running tests on the train tracks and brakes and examine maintenance records.

The rear train was being operated in automatic mode, which is the normal operating procedure during rush hour. Washington trains are being operated manually until the cause of the crash is determined, Hersman said.

She said there is no indication that any of the brakes on the rear train failed before it rear-ended the other train.

"Our investigators on scene yesterday did find some evidence of emergency brake application. They found the emergency mushroom, which is a button that was depressed in the control cab, and they also examined the wheels and the brakes, and they found that the rotors showed some bluing," Hersman said.

"That bluing is consistent with an emergency brake application," she said later.

Bluing indicates that the rotors have been subjected to extremely high temperatures, and this can be caused by hard stops.

The wreck occurred along the Red Line just before 5 p.m. Monday on an above-ground track near Takoma Park, Maryland.

Both trains were on the same track, traveling in the same direction: south from the Takoma station to the Fort Totten Metrorail station to the Shady Grove station.

The train in front had stopped behind another train undergoing service and was awaiting directions to move ahead.

It is the worst Metro transit accident in the agency's 33 years of operation.

Back