Omg!

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two Killed in Metro Collision | NBC Washington

WASHINGTON -- Two fatalities have been confirmed as a result of a collision of two Metro trains between the Takoma Park and Fort Totten stations on the Red Line, according to the transit agency.

A six-car train headed toward Shady Grove apparently derailed between those Metrorail stations and was involved in a collision with another train at 5 p.m. today. The collision took place above ground.

As many as 55 injuries are being reported at this time. Numerous passengers are currently trapped in the trains. Emergency workers are using rescue tools to cut them from the wreckage and transport them to hospitals or treat them at the scene.

Howard University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center have increased emergency room staffing but have not received any patients from the collision..

A witness told News4's Jackie Bensen that it appeared that one train car looked like it was on top of another train car.

Trains are not traveling between the Brookland and Fort Totten stations. Shuttle service is being established, but Metro spokeswoman Cathy Asato advised riders to completely avoid the Red Line this afternoon and evening.

Trains are operating between Glenmont and Brookland and between Shady Grove and Brookland stations and from Glenmont to Takoma Metrorail stations for the remainder of the day.

New Hampshire Avenue is closed in both directions in the area of the Metro tracks in Northeast.

My hubby is normally on this line at this exact time. He called in sick today cuz of the flu. It is possible the flu saved his life!!! :shock:

i saw a recent news then i saw your post. oh my god! thank god your hubby called in sick. i couldnt believe that it actually happened! i lived in dc for 12 years and never seen like this!

i saw a recent news then i saw your post. oh my god! thank god your hubby called in sick. i couldnt believe that it actually happened! i lived in dc for 12 years and never seen like this!

my hubby is sleeping..when he wakes up, I am gonna show him this. Wow...I hope society's-child wasnt on it.

oh no hope she isnt on it too. i realize that shes from MD. oh no. i am shocked and wonder about my friends who lives in MD too. since you live there and keep us posted. :( I will check my friends who lives there as well.

Oh, wow! I am so glad that your hubby wasn't on this train today! I am concerned about Society's Child, though. It doesn't look as if she has been online today.

Oh wow!

Shel.. This gave me goose bumps, about your hubby. This is one a time that he can be thankful that he is sick.

Hope S.C. is O.K.

And my thoughts are all out to the ones and their family that were on that train.

Have anyone seen her post

I did page my two friends and they are fine. One of her hubby didn't take that train and decide to take a MARC. whew. they will keep me posted about our other friends. :( hope societys child will let us know shes fine soon.

Frightening...U just never know when you go out each day. I hope SC posts soon too.

I am glad your husband is safe and hope Society's Child happens to check in here tonight.

I did page my two friends and they are fine. One of her hubby didn't take that train and decide to take a MARC. whew. they will keep me posted about our other friends. :( hope societys child will let us know shes fine soon.

Glad your friends are okay.

Does anyone have a way to E mail SC on her phone? I am not sure if she has a SK or BB.. but, if anyone can contact her to let us know she is OK.

Does anyone have a way to E mail SC on her phone? I am not sure if she has a SK or BB.. but, if anyone can contact her to let us know she is OK.

I know she was considering purchasing a BB a while back, but I don't know if she went ahead and got one or not.

i wonder what did the train conductors do. how did it happen! i know we all will find out why and what happened to it. :(

SC last posted at 2:01 pm today, so maybe she left work early and did not go on that train.

Now, a few people just paged me asking me if my hubby was ok ...wow, I didnt realize how good of memory people have about my hubby's commute.

Now, a few people just paged me asking me if my hubby was ok ...wow, I didnt realize how good of memory people have about my hubby's commute.

It is wonderful to know that people care and are concerned.

One of the trains derailed. That is what happened.

yes but how did it happen. DC metro systems are pretty good. why all of a sudden, the two trains were hitting each other that didn't happen that often. i just saw in Jillio's link. So i guess i will wait for the whole story of what happened.

he was unable to say why the crash occurred.

"We will find what happened and will fix what happened," Catoe said.

I agree with Frisky...I have lived here for 10 years and nothing like this has ever happened.

Back