Old technology should be new technology

Low tech solutions may never go out of style...

Attachments

• Camping 2 8-1-09.jpg
    Camping 2 8-1-09.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 3
Regardless, I cannot see how Volkswagen Beetle can pull that thing up a steep hill at all times. There may be factors in why this never took off. Weight, the design, safety and such. Keep in mind that the video above is just to demonstrate the camper. It's supposed to knock people's socks off.

There's no mention of the capacity of the roof. Don't you think the car would be somewhat fragile to support this kind of weight?

Not at all, I'm sure it is designed to support and push/pull that weight. They can do anything they want when it comes to designing and engineering. The key is to keep weight low while being strong enough instead of overweight just for sake of being very strong.

Regardless, I cannot see how Volkswagen Beetle can pull that thing up a steep hill at all times. There may be factors in why this never took off. Weight, the design, safety and such. Keep in mind that the video above is just to demonstrate the camper. It's supposed to knock people's socks off.

There's no mention of the capacity of the roof. Don't you think the car would be somewhat fragile to support this kind of weight?

if they do it now - I think VW Beetle is strong enough to do it. but then.... your concern is valid

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyXgMal3C1U[/ame]

I just checked and it appears that they upped the horsepower in 1967 to 54 horsepower.

No wonder why this never got off the ground.

I just checked and it appears that they upped the horsepower in 1967 to 54 horsepower.

No wonder why this never got off the ground.

now VW Beetle has 150 hps and 170 lbs-ft torque. and it's about 3,000 lbs. I think it's reasonably safe enough for modern VW Beetle to haul that trailer around :dunno:

now VW Beetle has 150 hps and 170 lbs-ft torque. and it's about 3,000 lbs. I think it's reasonably safe enough for modern VW Beetle to haul that trailer around :dunno:

I'm aware of that, I was just talking about the campers for Beetle back in these days and how impractical they would had been due to the weak horsepower and such. Although I just googled a bit on the VW Beetles, apparently they did have a strong roof structure in comparison to many other vehicles in the time period they were made in.

However, if one want to haul a trailer around, it's usually better to go with a SUV or pick-up truck with more horsepower. It's not ideal to put a lot of weight on a small car with low horsepower because the engine isn't designed for it.

In general, cars are perfectly suited for small trailers, although campers may be pushing it for some. It depends on what the car is capable of.

No, it has nothing to do with how many HP, it is the weight that is the issue. That car is way way way too light cant pull very heavy vehicle no matter how powerful the engine is. You see, the tire is emitting smoke, that is because it is not pressing on ground hard enough to give it a push.

No, it has nothing to do with how many HP, it is the weight that is the issue. That car is way way way too light cant pull very heavy vehicle no matter how powerful the engine is. You see, the tire is emitting smoke, that is because it is not pressing on ground hard enough to give it a push.

the more HP you have, the heavier engine is, right? At least that will adds some weight to car. You can just add a few bags of sand in the car trunk or backseat or get an overweight passenger :lol:

Well, that is a possiblity but why spent $$$ for tiny car? That $ could be well spent for nicer and bigger car or maybe SUV

the more HP you have, the heavier engine is, right? At least that will adds some weight to car. You can just add a few bags of sand in the car trunk or backseat or get an overweight passenger :lol:

Well, that is a possiblity but why spent $$$ for tiny car? That $ could be well spent for nicer and bigger car or maybe SUV

if a small car can do it - why not? maybe they do not want to waste money on lot of fuel or get 2nd car or maybe they don't like big vehicle. Don't you think it's cool to have a small car that can do a lot?

One can just rent that trailer and hitch it up!

It is not recommended, for a very good reason, it is going to be hard on wear n tear on transmission, and engine.

if a small car can do it - why not? maybe they do not want to waste money on lot of fuel or get 2nd car or maybe they don't like big vehicle. Don't you think it's cool to have a small car that can do a lot?

One can just rent that trailer and hitch it up!

Back