ok why do HoH or Deaf People Have poor Grammar?

Part of it is the same as anyone who is approaching a second language from a mindset of a first language. You have ideas, you need to express them, and one language works very differently from another. When a Turkish person just starting English says something like "Even I English speak don't know, I England go want," it's because that's how a sentence works in his native language. With lots of practice he'll get it sorted out.

But of course as much as one spoken language might differ from another, they all have one thing in common - they are meant to be perceived through the ears. Why is that so important?

As a really basic example, think of how the concept of "up" is expressed in sign languages - with an upward motion or gesture. It may be coupled with a sign for other things - a bird, an airplane, a ball, a motion and more - but the idea is direct and immediate, as is the way it went up; quickly or slowly, suddenly or gradually. The connection is there. It's up, no doubt about it.

In spoken language, all this is replaced by symbols with no meaning in and of themselves - words. Spoken language is 99% symbolic. There is nothing in the word "up" that is in any way directly connected with a physical upward motion. Any more than there is in the Greek word "pano," the Turkish word "yukarı." They have no meaning until you learn it. Same for all the other little parts of language - those ideas of intensity, degree, nature of a movement for example. Spoken language takes all that direct expression and breaks it up into symbols with no inherent meaning of their own. And to hearing people, it's the most natural thing in the world because we're evolved to do it. But it's actually an amazing thing!

To get an idea of the immensity of that, think about telling about an airplane flight in sign - you take off, you hit turbulence, the airplane pitches, you are scared, you are feeling sick, finally it's over and you land. You can tell it all with your hand showing the motions of the airplane, your facial expressions, some helping signs along the way. It's extremely direct, effective and expressive and you can express very fine details of degree. And imagine that that is the way you are used to expressing things.

And then imagine trying to write that down. When you learn to write English, you are learning to write the symbols you already know (words) and are accustomed to using. An ASL speaker has to learn all these little symbols that he/she has no need for in the native language. And of course they can and do learn them, but they aren't writing their native language! Imagine a world in which you speak in English, but writing is in Turkish, and you organize your ideas in a completely different way! Many do it very well, but not everyone does, or feels motivated to put out the effort to. Heck, many native speakers of English get by with a bare minimum - they could use a lot more words, more exact words, but they don't.

It's tricky enough doing it from one spoken language to another because another characteristic of spoken language is that there's a degree of irregularity, convention, and of course little shades meaning - since you don't have this direct expression, you need lots more symbols to express yourself well. And of course there is a lot in language that isn't really "necessary" for the expression, but it's just there. Do we really need a hundred different ways to make a past tense? Do we really "need" a grammatical past tense to show that something happened in the past? There are lots of other ways to do that in spoken languages. Does Greek "need" the concept of grammatical gender, where a chair is female, the sun is male and a little girl is neuter? Of course not. But it's there, and if you get any of those things wrong, you will have "bad grammar."

For native signers, sign is the natural, comfortable language of choice; English (or whatever the locak spoken language is) is the language of necessity. Just like any non-native speaker community, some members will feel a greater necessity for fluency in the surrounding language while others learn what they need to get by and function in society. I think of my aunts who lived in the US for 40 years and never really learned to speak English. They did just fine, they had their community and dealt with English to the degree they needed to. But even after 40 years, it would never be as familiar, natural and comfortable as Greek.

Also - one of the things that "marks" many non-native speakers of sign language is that they remain attached to the hearing language mode of expression. I.e. because they are not used to using the "grammar" of 3-dimensional space, they look for signs for every word, or resort to "signed English" which to a native ASL speaker is cumbersome and superfluous. So it works both ways!

I can name a few reasons: (but not limited to)

1) In the past, the average age for deaf children to be identified with a hearing loss would be 18 months or older. By then, they have missed a significant amount of language development. Then, upon discovering their child is deaf, parents are forced to learn how to communicate with their child which takes time.

But that should change because in British Columbia, Canada (I am not sure about USA) has recently passed a law where all newborns must go through a hearing screening test as soon as they are born to identify any hearing loss to make for early language intervention.

2) Deaf people do not experience the same amount of incidential learning experience as hearing children. It naturally occurs to children with normal hearing who utilize it to shape their language and their perceptions of the world around them via incidential learning. They eavesdrop on their social environment and learn millions of tidbits of priceless cultural and social information. This also applies to learning language.

Also, by listening in on conversations between individuals, they learn not only the language, but also about family matters, economics, politics, personal finance, jobs, sports, health, nutrition, and so on. The list is endless.

3) Communication skills of the immediate family: I feel this plays a very important role in developing a deaf child’s language. Parents cannot only rely on the school system to teach the deaf child language. Parents need to learn how to communicate with their own child, include them in family discussions, and encourage literacy in the home environment.

The first one didn't apply to me as my parents found out my deafness when I was five months old but it can and did happened. I agree with the last two big time. I can remember "eavesdropping" on the two older girls on the bus talking about something (I forgot what) that I would never be able to do so with my own family.

It can be for a number of reasons.

1.) Parents don't involve themselves much with the activities (especially homework) of their deaf children. (I've actually heard teachers complain about this. Some parents say that their children should get their full education at school and none at home.)

2.) Schools are too flexible and easy on deaf kids. (This happened at my school. If a deaf student failed a course, he/she still received a passing grade.)

3.) Deaf students don't take school seriously and blame it on their own deafness. ("I can't do well because I'm deaf.")

I've had conversations with various teachers and interpreters who tell me about how they struggle with their students. Some students don't have full knowledge of vocabulary. So, sign language becomes an issue. Some signs represent more than one word. Some words have more than one sign. If a student relies 100% on signs and not words, then they are limiting themselves to the full extent of the vocabulary that's being offered.

I've actually seen some students misunderstand their teachers because they didn't know that the sign had more than one word. When I tutor them on their assignments, I will usually ask them what their teachers asked them to do. They will sign exactly what their teachers signed to them, but they interpreted it the wrong way. I would point out that the teacher actually said something else... but the students would tell me that I'm wrong. As a result, I'm unable to tutor them since their previous assumption would lead to the assignment not being done correctly.

That's part of the reason why English should be enforced in school. If they can't speak English, then they should sign English. It's like Spanish students in public school. They speak Spanish at home, but they need to speak English in school. Deaf students sign ASL at home, but they should sign SEE in school.

I've had conversations with various teachers and interpreters who tell me about how they struggle with their students. Some students don't have full knowledge of vocabulary. So, sign language becomes an issue. Some signs represent more than one word. Some words have more than one sign. If a student relies 100% on signs and not words, then they are limiting themselves to the full extent of the vocabulary that's being offered.

I've actually seen some students misunderstand their teachers because they didn't know that the sign had more than one word. When I tutor them on their assignments, I will usually ask them what their teachers asked them to do. They will sign exactly what their teachers signed to them, but they interpreted it the wrong way. I would point out that the teacher actually said something else... but the students would tell me that I'm wrong. As a result, I'm unable to tutor them since their previous assumption would lead to the assignment not being done correctly.

That's part of the reason why English should be enforced in school. If they can't speak English, then they should sign English. It's like Spanish students in public school. They speak Spanish at home, but they need to speak English in school. Deaf students sign ASL at home, but they should sign SEE in school.

Your school taught MCE. They are already signing English and yet they are failing English. In ASL, there are no more than one word for a sign so there are no confusing signs. I don't like it when you think ASL is the problem when it is really MCE that is failing them. I don't like when the hearing educators think that they can take ASL and change the grammer into MCE, thinking that is the answer. Remember they took ASL away when oral philosophy spread back then. Then they just added MCE/TC. They didn't really go all the way to ASL as they ought to. That is why I believe in Bi-Bi education with speech classes after school. Back to what it was before the oral philosophy took over and messed it up real bad.

You got the English down easily because you had hearing before you lost some of it. Those who were born deaf didn't have that advantage so give them ASL to even things up.

1.) Parents don't involve themselves much with the activities (especially homework) of their deaf children. (I've actually heard teachers complain about this. Some parents say that their children should get their full education at school and none at home.)

2.) Schools are too flexible and easy on deaf kids. (This happened at my school. If a deaf student failed a course, he/she still received a passing grade.)

3.) Deaf students don't take school seriously and blame it on their own deafness. ("I can't do well because I'm deaf.")

Try teaching a complicated lesson using SEE..u will lose the audience fast.

Your school taught MCE. They are already signing English and yet they are failing English. In ASL, there are no more than one word for a sign so there are no confusing signs. I don't like it when you think ASL is the problem when it is really MCE that is failing them. I don't like when the hearing educators think that they can take ASL and change the grammer into MCE, thinking that is the answer. Remember they took ASL away when oral philosophy spread back then. Then they just added MCE/TC. They didn't really go all the way to ASL as they ought to. That is why I believe in Bi-Bi education with speech classes after school. Back to what it was before the oral philosophy took over and messed it up real bad.

You got the English down easily because you had hearing before you lost some of it. Those who were born deaf didn't have that advantage so give them ASL to even things up.

:gpost:

grrre Shel, you beat me to it, i agree Buffulo did an excellent post, but although i disagree with the base which Vampy is calling from, althought he(she?) did made some excellent points too because there is a lot of truths in there, Especially about the ghetoising/failure mentality, being found when d/Deafs says "I fail cos im deaf' this is a cop out and a very common one.

Missywinks see a very powerful point about conversations are beyond words but as matters/affairs occuring and how people understand this, these are actually hearing cultures. I dont have the answers for this.

grrre Shel, you beat me to it, i agree Buffulo did an excellent post, but although i disagree with the base which Vampy is calling from, althought he(she?) did made some excellent points too because there is a lot of truths in there, Especially about the ghetoising/failure mentality, being found when d/Deafs says "I fail cos im deaf' this is a cop out and a very common one.

Missywinks see a very powerful point about conversations are beyond words but as matters/affairs occuring and how people understand this, these are actually hearing cultures. I dont have the answers for this.

I agree with you about the attitude "I fail cuz I am deaf". That is something that I discourage with my students. As for others who have picked up that attitude, I cant speak for them but it does give them a mentality not to try harder.

im not trying to be mean I seriously want to know, ive know about five people who are my friends, not going to mention any names erhmm that are terrible when putting sentences in here, I was just wondering why that is, not trying to be funny or cute but I was curious, hope no one gets mad I appreciate it.

Obama made a speech that had prefect grammar, and some people were
complaining that Obama was elitist! It looks like you can't win either way! If have poor grammar people think you're dumb , if you have good grammar
you're a snob. Deaf and HOH people are not the only one that have poor
grammar. I knew some men that were very smart ,but were very poor growning up and they had poor grammer. One was a well known blues singer!

Confusing the linguistic environments is exactly what is responsible for the problems you have described above. Keeping the languages separate is what reduces the problems. You want to see problems such as the above continue? Keep using SEE, or most likely PSE, as SEE is rarely signed in its pure form, in the classroom.:roll:

I agree with you about the attitude "I fail cuz I am deaf". That is something that I discourage with my students. As for others who have picked up that attitude, I cant speak for them but it does give them a mentality not to try harder.

I'll tell you what pisses me off. The fact that kids develop this attitude because it is what is communicated to them in the public school system by hearing educators that have no idea how to address their needs.

Try teaching a complicated lesson using SEE..u will lose the audience fast.

That's what I'm thinking. It's easier and faster to sign

RIVER ENTER DAM THROUGH SPIN T-U-R-B-I-N-E MAKE ELECTRIC. THIS NAME H-Y-D-R-O-E-L-E-C-T-R-I-C-I-T-Y.

than to sign the exact english phrase

The river flows into the the dam and gravity drains the water into large turbines which turn from the force of the water to generate electricity. This is how Hydroelectric power works.

My god just signing the entire sentence out to myself seems long and cumbersome.

I'll tell you what pisses me off. The fact that kids develop this attitude because it is what is communicated to them in the public school system by hearing educators that have no idea how to address their needs.

There is something else too that pisses me off, why use their "political language' - this is "needs" which grants them even more power. I hate that word, it implys we are needy. Fuck this mentality, its not just demeaning, but its disabliing as well. They (those holding the purse strings) knows this too well, and acts as so its just a 'last catergory for spending but we are obliged to make sure everyone knows we spend some on this or else we will get a scandel". This is bullshit, I think we have to re-think the use of that word and come up with something else that favours our prority and thus put it higher on the spending list.

I find that attitude infuriating. Though I have language delays, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't improve myself. I think the same goes for others.

There is something else too that pisses me off, why use their "political language' - this is "needs" which grants them even more power. I hate that word, it implys we are needy. Fuck this mentality, its not just demeaning, but its disabliing as well. They (those holding the purse strings) knows this too well, and acts as so its just a 'last catergory for spending but we are obliged to make sure everyone knows we spend some on this or else we will get a scandel". This is bullshit, I think we have to re-think the use of that word and come up with something else that favours our prority and thus put it higher on the spending list.

Having needs has absolutely nothing to do with being needy. All human beings have needs. A deaf student has a need to have access to communication in the same way that a hearing student has a need to have an access to communication. A deaf student has a need to know what is being communicated in the classroom and a hearing student has a need to know what is being communicated in the classroom. A hearing student's need is simply addressed in a different manner than the deaf student's need. They both have the same need. There is nothing disabling about having a need for communication, or the entire human population would be disabled by it. What is disabling is the refusal to address that need for the entire population.

There is nothing wrong with using a word that accurrately describes something.

Wondering why there are many hearing people CAN'T even read nor write?

I do not think there is difference in between anyway.

im not trying to be mean I seriously want to know, ive know about five people who are my friends, not going to mention any names erhmm that are terrible when putting sentences in here, I was just wondering why that is, not trying to be funny or cute but I was curious, hope no one gets mad I appreciate it.

I'm glad the original poster posted this question, since I too have been wondering it (this is the first deaf forum I've ever checked out). I've pretty much taken it for granted that there will be bad grammar on the internet, deaf or hearing, but what sticks out to me at this forum is not the bad spelling or lack of punctuation, but the way sentences are strung together, and the consistencies of it. I've been wondering if it's from being fluent in ASL, if it follows over when you're trying to write out something. I don't know ASL so I don't honestly know if that actually would be the case.

Gotta hand it to you guys, though. I haven't seen a single texting form of writing, lol. I see She's so gr8, I luv her, it's f8 (things along that line) everywhere on the internet, and quite frankly, if I come across the first word like that, I skip past that post and go to the next one. It's just a headache trying to read something like that, along with any post with only commas separating sentences, no periods anywhere in the post. I'm not a grammar nazi, I'm too paranoid about hurting anyone's feelings, but I do feel I'm a bit of a stickler for good grammar and spelling. I drive my own self nuts when I spell something wrong (which seems to be happening more and more these days. I blame it on last nights, a need for updated glasses, and flying too fast over the keyboard, lol)

I've always been a bookworm and spelling tests were FUN each week (in spite of having to hear the teacher call out the word that we had to spell). Grammar tests were fun too, because I was actually good at it. I still love reading. There are books everywhere, on all surfaces (including the floor, lol)

Back