ok why do HoH or Deaf People Have poor Grammar?

Post #22? <confused>

It is a picture of the old flag of Nazi Germany, except the swastika is now a stylized G.

It says "Grammar Nazi."

I was the generation after you of the 60's and 70's. I got a good education in the public schools and what I did not get my parents made sure I learned at home.

Same here. I'm a generation after you (I was raised in the 70s and 80s) and my parents taught me what I needed to learn at home as well as reinforcing everything I learned at school.

Well, you know how hearing ASL students come in here asking for help with their ASL? Just reverse it to deaf people asking for help with their English. We could all learn from each other, if people are only willing to participate and learn.

True. It would have been beneficial to most of us.

I blame it on the oralist system. Those who fail at communicating that way (and some do) have no other way to communicate. I've noticed some people with the most faulty grammer started off using the oral only approach. So they get spat out of that system and then of course signing is the only other system left and it seems to get blamed for their bad grammar.

However I know deaf children of signing deaf parents who have grammar which is better then mine.

I would say since most hearing loss is more than likely to be detected earlier on in life. Which both of my children were tested as infants.

Early prevention. Early teaching.

Deaf schools need to seek, and recognize that, and raise the bar on the educational system.

Couldn't agree more with missywinks's post. She nailed it. ;)

I'm Deaf and I don't have poor grammar. But I do have some of those deaf friends that have poor grammars and I think honestly that it depends on their schooling education. My parents has press on and on to me to make my grammar and speech perfect, they even had Speech therapist coming every single day except for weekends to work with me on speeches and grammars from age of 16 months to 18 years old. I think that's the reason why my grammar and speech are good... due to the schooling education that my parents had provided me.

I would say since most hearing loss is more than likely to be detected earlier on in life. Which both of my children were tested as infants.

Things are certainly different today than they were when I was born. (late 60s/early 70s) Back then, newborns weren't given hearing screenings which is why my hearing loss wasn't detected until age 3.

U pretty much summed it up!

As for adults who recognize that they have poor grammar skills, it is their decision to improve it or not. I know that with better grammar skills, one would gain better respect. If I tried to write in Spanish, I wouldnt get respect nor praise in the Spanish speaking countries.

If someone doesnt want to improve his/her grammar , then they cant blame society for struggling to find good jobs. As adults, we have to take responsibility for improving our skills if we want to set high standards for ourselves.

I know I make mistakes and I try to edit whenever I can. I am sure I have overlooked plenty of them when posting on AD but I am always happy for constructive criticize to help me improve because I want my writing skills to improve or go to the next level.

Thanks, Shel. :D
I make tonnes of grammar mistakes too and am open to any feedback as well!

I've noticed some people with the most faulty grammer started off using the oral only approach.
OMG yes. One of my friends was educated oral only and mainstream to the max, and she thinks that she got a better education, but when she writes it's SO freaking incoherent.

It's simple for me.

The education standards at the public school I attended prior to a deaf school were much higher. I had rigorous speech therapy and rigorous tutoring in Math and English (I gave up a few summers to this).

I make no apologies to those who were jealous of my capabilities. I know plenty of deaf peers that were jealous over this and it led to bullying and being outcast. That's ok though. It's in the past.

Well, you know how hearing ASL students come in here asking for help with their ASL? Just reverse it to deaf people asking for help with their English. We could all learn from each other, if people are only willing to participate and learn.

:gpost::D

Back