Ok, so this really annoys me!

LDNanna

Premium Member
Reaction score
At my work -

When I couldn't take a required online class because it was speaking.

When I complained to the office about it and they said they would consider making it accessible NEXT YEAR.

When I complained to DARS they finally gave us (all the deaf or HOH - all 5 of us - and no computer access) a personal class to make up for it, gave us a readable brochure, turned off the light and showed the same speaking online class. (no joke but go ahead and laugh, it's sorta funny in a sick, twisted way)

When my boss shows off her deaf employee or introduces me as "This" is Nan, she is deaf. That thing around her neck is how she hears you. I usually demonstrate this for her by turning the "thing" to "off" in front of her and walking away. (evil grin)

When the boss then turns around and whispers to the person and grins.

When a coworker whispers my name over and over in an ever increasing volume until I happen to look up and see him doing it. ( I now sign his name over and over from behind my computer screen until he yells, hey, you can't do that! and runs to tell that I am "whispering" in sign language) hehehe

Oh, I work for a University here in Texas. Higher education - ha!

Thanks for the vent, ya'll. Whew!:ty:

I am only surprised that an online class was speaking. :hmm:

This isn't in the same league, but I had a friend who introduced me to a third person by saying "This is (flyingace), she's deaf, but she's really smart". :roll:

I had a friend introduce me to another person by saying, "This is Hear Again. She's deafblind, but you'd never know it." :confused:

Don't they have a lecture notes below the video of them speaking? I know the one I am doing online does. Every video they have which is speaking, they always include a link that direct you to the lecture of what they are talking about. I go to Centura college.

That's ridiculous... I work for a major University too and our online things have text w/sound... I choose to turn the sound off (I'm a hearie) but I HATE the voices they're done in and I can read it quicker than I can hear it...

I'm going to show my ignorance here-- is DARS Human Resources or a 'disability' resource?? (I HATE that word!!!) I'd be takin' it up the chain of command~~

And honestly that's rude if your boss points you out like that-- that'd be like saying "This is Jimbob, he's the black man (Asian man, Indian woman, etc)!" and in my opinion, harassment... just my view though... UGH!

I'v been introduced as This is Melissa, she's partially deaf.(which im not) LOL

I would be like to be introduced as Melissa, people soon enough find out im deaf anyway, I say what or pardon constantly :giggle:

Although when my husband wanted to learn more sign and I went with him to an ASL class, I was very amused by one of the hearing students who asked him before class one evening if I am able to talk.

I was standing right there!!

That's ridiculous... I work for a major University too and our online things have text w/sound... I choose to turn the sound off (I'm a hearie) but I HATE the voices they're done in and I can read it quicker than I can hear it...

I'm going to show my ignorance here-- is DARS Human Resources or a 'disability' resource?? (I HATE that word!!!) I'd be takin' it up the chain of command~~

And honestly that's rude if your boss points you out like that-- that'd be like saying "This is Jimbob, he's the black man (Asian man, Indian woman, etc)!" and in my opinion, harassment... just my view though... UGH!

hmmm I wouldn't say harassment. It's more of "discrimination" because harassment is the unwelcomed/unwanted behavior by other person who violated your personal privacy. For ie - sexual harassment. police harassment. harassment by ex-lover. and discrimination is more of person being different from majority based on race, disability, gender, etc.

I got introduced by my boss to the firm.

And he said, "This is_________, now understand he "speaks" a different language. For those that will be working with him--your computers are now set up for instant messaging so that you will be able to communicate with him and we will offer to pay for ASL classes if you are interested."

A woman raised her hand and asked, "What's ASL?" :lol:

I got introduced by my boss to the firm.

And he said, "This is_________, now understand he "speaks" a different language. For those that will be working with him--your computers are now set up for instant messaging so that you will be able to communicate with him and we will offer to pay for ASL classes if you are interested."

A woman raised her hand and asked, "What's ASL?" :lol:

:rofl:

I've been "Suddent deaf in one night" for almost 3 years. Before that, i already learned lips reading much. I mute the sound when i watched TV to practice, untill i became really deaf like now. So i can communicate better by lips reading rather than using hearing aids or ASL ( yes i learned ASL lately ).

I work as a technical support, n i run my own IT bussines, so i have to communicate to other people alot. keeping good relationship with others is very important for my bussiness. And yes, i was indtroduced to many other people as " U know this guy does a great job, but he can't hear" too. Many of them whispered to others about me too sometime, n ofcourse i still know what they talked about.

The point is, don't take everything personally. Others reaction to our condition could vary and it's normal. Some are nice, while some others could be cruel. Just be patience, be confidence, be yourself, espescially if u still need jobs from that man. but u still can take another job which is more comfortable to you then....It's tough and difficult to survive in a hearing world. I know, but we still need to earn for a living too right ?

So just be wise on it. take care, all best wishes and big hug for you nan

Best regards

I've been introduced at my work as "This is Cheri, she's deaf, so be careful what you say because she CAN REALLY read lips." I was like :wtf:

hmmm I wouldn't say harassment. It's more of "discrimination" because harassment is the unwelcomed/unwanted behavior by other person who violated your personal privacy. For ie - sexual harassment. police harassment. harassment by ex-lover. and discrimination is more of person being different from majority based on race, disability, gender, etc.

THATS the word I was looking for... but I went brain numb LOL and my fingers typed harrassment!!! LOL THANK YOU for knowing what I wanted to say Jiro!!!! :)

I am supposed to take a few online classes ..I hope they wont be the speaking kinds! Ugh!

Like Botts, I am surprised at this.

THATS the word I was looking for... but I went brain numb LOL and my fingers typed harrassment!!! LOL THANK YOU for knowing what I wanted to say Jiro!!!! :)

si.. si.... :cool2:

The same thing happens to me when I'm introduced to hearing people: "This is Vicky, she's deaf but she's smart." But here's the kicker. Once I was introduced to deaf people by my deaf friend as (in ASL) "This is Vicky, she's deaf, but doesn't know ASL, she's oral and smart."

Um....... awkward in BOTH scenarios.

lol. for me... most of time was - "This is Jiro. That is -----"

Back