Ok, so this really annoys me!

No, this is a state college!

Don't they have a lecture notes below the video of them speaking?
No, they didn't. It was a power point presentation which was in print, but there was voice over from someone and an intro from the university president. Geez.

That's so sweet Tommy. Thanks! But - I am just about tired of "this". Thanks for your kind words, tho.

DARS is Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services. They do services for Deaf, etc. They helped get my HA set for me and a LOUD phone (alas, that was last year and nearly useless this year) and I am hoping for a flashy doorbell thingy.

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't feel like the Lone Deaf Ranger now. So, what really ticks ya'll off about your jobs? Anything?

BTW - I just got my IR service going, whats the best place to look for those words like GA, SK, and how to use them, or do I??? I feel so old learning such new technology. I can't even use the cd/dvd thing. Ha!

DARS is Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services. They do services for Deaf, etc. They helped get my HA set for me and a LOUD phone (alas, that was last year and nearly useless this year) and I am hoping for a flashy doorbell thingy.

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't feel like the Lone Deaf Ranger now. So, what really ticks ya'll off about your jobs? Anything?

BTW - I just got my IR service going, whats the best place to look for those words like GA, SK, and how to use them, or do I??? I feel so old learning such new technology. I can't even use the cd/dvd thing. Ha!

Ticks me off about my job?? hmmm we just accuired a new hospital in 2007 and we're in 2009 and no one still knows how to work in the system that came w/that hospital... it's aggrevating, it doesn't do 2/3 the things a billing/records system should do!! but *sigh* other than that- my jobs pretty cool :) :) :D

I am only surprised that an online class was speaking. :hmm:
I'm not. In my interpreting assignments for college and government agencies, I see it happen all the time. That's why they request my services. The very organizations that should be the examples for accessability are some of the worst offenders. :mad:

I'm not. In my interpreting assignments for college and government agencies, I see it happen all the time. That's why they request my services. The very organizations that should be the examples for accessability are some of the worst offenders. :mad:

That is interesting to know.

Grrrr! Uh - Whaaat????

It was time for my review at work. I got a "2" instead of a "3" because of customer service. Gee. They put the deaf one at the window and wonder how come I can't get it. We have about 3000 college students and about 4 of them sign from high school classes. Hmmm. My boss actually wrote that I do well "despite her deafness". Aaannd that it seemed to "bother" some of the customers. Uh, hello, earth to bosses??? I am the only one with my own cash drawer out of 6 total employees. Maybe I should stamp the floor when I count...1 (stamp)..2 (stamp-stamp). Seriously, she mentioned deafness about 4 times in my review before the bigger boss had it removed.

Think I'll talk a lot less next year. So there. :P

:grouphug::grouphug:
At my work -

When I couldn't take a required online class because it was speaking.

When I complained to the office about it and they said they would consider making it accessible NEXT YEAR.

When I complained to DARS they finally gave us (all the deaf or HOH - all 5 of us - and no computer access) a personal class to make up for it, gave us a readable brochure, turned off the light and showed the same speaking online class. (no joke but go ahead and laugh, it's sorta funny in a sick, twisted way)

When my boss shows off her deaf employee or introduces me as "This" is Nan, she is deaf. That thing around her neck is how she hears you. I usually demonstrate this for her by turning the "thing" to "off" in front of her and walking away. (evil grin)

When the boss then turns around and whispers to the person and grins.

When a coworker whispers my name over and over in an ever increasing volume until I happen to look up and see him doing it. ( I now sign his name over and over from behind my computer screen until he yells, hey, you can't do that! and runs to tell that I am "whispering" in sign language) hehehe

Oh, I work for a University here in Texas. Higher education - ha!

Thanks for the vent, ya'll. Whew!:ty:

:grouphug: We love you Nan

Awww, thanks Gypsy. I really do like you too. Sorry about the rant, but it just felt soo good to let it out. Thanks for understanding. Seriously though, I think I really will "voice off" a bit more. (If I speak less, perhaps they won't assume I heard them when I did not) I will ask for more things in writing. Yall have any other good suggestions??

I find this interesting because I checked my student email last night and there was a survey regarding the student disability services. Ive wanted to use them but they are difficult to locate on campus. I wish they would move these offices to Doc Bryan, the main student services building. Student Disability Services are located in Tomlinson in some weird side door that is hard to see from the road.

Also supporting Reba here that the very institutions that should be examples of ADA laws are the ones that are the worst offenders. Last fall, I called ATU to schedule an appointment with my adviser via IP Relay and they refused my call, not once but twice. I finally got pissed off enough that I drove down there and told them myself that they had refused my IP Relay call and I needed to schedule and appt. with my advisor. The secretary just sneered at me, like yeah right, you can talk. Lordy, I just wanted to slap someone that day! I'm going to get an updated audiogram this summer and take it in and ask for a notetaker for my fall classes, I plan on taking either Biology or Chemistry classes, that includes a lab, and going to take it as a stand alone so that I can fully concentrate on that one class and know I've done all I can to pass it. Sciences aren't hard for me, but at the college level its a whole new ballgame. I expect it to be tough.

Wow! That is not so hard to believe. I have often thought that I will just "voice off" soon. That is a good example of why! I get that a lot. If I can talk then surely I can hear them. :cool2: yeah, right. I was once advised by a terp to not speak in public. If I do not speak, others will not assume. It does help in places like the grocery store.

I think that your government disability office can help you with the problem you described. There is also (in Texas) the Governor's Committtee for Persons with Disabilities. A quick email to those agencies or one like them in your area should "fix" that insensitive secretary.

You have rights. There was an article on about.com in the deafness blog recently. It told about how to locate and contact your local disability offices, get your rights through DARS, how to apply for your state benefits, etc. It had lots of info that could be very useful in many situations such as you have described. This article was directed to those who are LDA, late deafened adults, related to employment rights. Still, there is lots of useful information.
Jobs for Deaf People - Vocational Rehabilitation and State Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Gallaudet University's Info to Go maintains an up-to-date listing of State Agencies and Vocational Rehabilitation Services.

Resources

The secretary violated your rights and treated you poorly in person. These are situations that we should not have to become accustomed to, unfortunately this is the "real world". There are many people who do not understand. It is not my personal mission to teach everyone but there are times when your governmental advocacy agency (such as DARS) can come in and give training to your workplace. They can clarify rights, but can't change "stupid" attitudes.

Back