Oil Painting Went Wrong

True. New painter uses acrylic paint. The dog is already done in oil paint. We will see , if the man agrees ,$40 top pay we will do the make over if not pass this painting and start over. The new painter will charge $90 to fix it. To make a new one the size I want $120.00 and get what I want.

I rarely discuss art subjects online. I usually get online to escape mentally from my art world. I'm an artist/ illustrator and have done volunteering/working at various galleries for years.

Anyway, Painting acrylic OVER oil is a very baaaaaaad idea. No way. It's not lifetime and the layers of acrylic will peel and crack over the time. I've seen it way too many times. It should work okay the other way around. Just saying.

True. New painter uses acrylic paint. The dog is already done in oil paint. We will see , if the man agrees ,$40 top pay we will do the make over if not pass this painting and start over. The new painter will charge $90 to fix it. To make a new one the size I want $120.00 and get what I want.

Did I read this right you're going to pay $90 to fix the painting , what if it come out horrible ? Did you ask the new artist if would have to pay for their work if you don't like the way they painted over the fake mountains?
Have you seen the new artist paintings yet ? I really feel you should forget about the painting and start all over again and if see if you can talk to some people that the new artist did painting of their dogs. I really like Reba suggestion in fixing the painting. Is this new person a self taught artist did they go to an art school ? There are a lot of people that think they're really
'good' artists and they're horrible.

Did I read this right you're going to pay $90 to fix the painting , what if it come out horrible ? Did you ask the new artist if would have to pay for their work if you don't like the way they painted over the fake mountains?

Have you seen the new artist paintings yet ? I really feel you should forget about the painting and start all over again and if see if you can talk to some people that the new artist did painting of their dogs. I really like Reba suggestion in fixing the painting. Is this new person a self taught artist did they go to an art school ? There are a lot of people that think they're really

'good' artists and they're horrible.

Yes, I have seen her work. She did a power point presentation to the class. She showed me her ocean painting and it looked amazing. She's been drawing since she was little. Did art work through high school. If you were to see that ocean artwork , wow! Excellent!
She basically dissected the errors that the man did. I believe , she would paint the ocean.

Rio, Barbaro was saying that to put acrylic over oil is a bad idea......oil takes a long time to dry and if there's acrylic over the top of it, you can imagine what will happen....

Yes, I have seen her work. She did a power point presentation to the class. She showed me her ocean painting and it looked amazing. She's been drawing since she was little. Did art work through high school. If you were to see that ocean artwork , wow! Excellent!
She basically dissected the errors that the man did. I believe , she would paint the ocean.

My BIL is an artist and had a few art shows , he came to visit me with my sister and we went out to eat . The owner of the restaurant allowed people to hang their painting up to try and sell and my BIL did the same thing he could not believe how bad the paintings were . The so called 'artists' had to reduce the prices b/c no one was buying their paintings. It's amazing how
many people think they 'paint ' a decent painting.

Well, I'm not kidding. Any professional/ serious self-taught artist knows what 'fat over lean rule' is. I challenge you to ask a new painter to know what the art technical term is. If not, you're at your own risk. I bet your father's best friend obviously has no idea what it is. Numbers of clients ask me to fix their paintings because they got rip off by untrained painters. I tell them I can't save their paintings because I have no idea what mediums, gums, resins and primers untrained painters used on. Did they use alkyd? Liquin? linseed? Turpentine? What brand acrylic? Rembrandt? Varnish? Gesso? Rabbit-skin glue? They give me those blank looks and have no idea... :/

When a client asks me for commission, but I have to be frank and ask directly-Where do you hang your painting? How do you take care of your painting? I educate them and give them instructions, so they can take care of it properly for lifetime. My job is to make sure they protect their investments for their sake. Clients LIKE to touch on originals. They just can't help it. It is in part of my contract my clients require to sign that I won't be liability for their careless acts.

Some clients told me do hang their original paintings in the bathrooms. Wrong on many levels. Humidity can damage originals. I always suggest that they can use art print instead for bathrooms. Don't let sunlight hit original oil painting directly ever. The colors will change over the time I'd say about in several years if it continues to be exposed to the sunlight. That's why museums and galleries use very low light and have windows shut.

That's just FYI....

It would cost less to reject the oil and let the new acrylic painter start from scratch. $10 less according to the figures you provided.

Well, I'm not kidding. Any professional/ serious self-taught artist knows what 'fat over lean rule' is. I challenge you to ask a new painter to know what the art technical term is. If not, you're at your own risk. I bet your father's best friend obviously has no idea what it is. Numbers of clients ask me to fix their paintings because they got rip off by untrained painters. I tell them I can't save their paintings because I have no idea what mediums, gums, resins and primers untrained painters used on. Did they use alkyd? Liquin? linseed? Turpentine? What brand acrylic? Rembrandt? Varnish? Gesso? Rabbit-skin glue? They give me those blank looks and have no idea... :/

When a client asks me for commission, but I have to be frank and ask directly-Where do you hang your painting? How do you take care of your painting? I educate them and give them instructions, so they can take care of it properly for lifetime. My job is to make sure they protect their investments for their sake. Clients LIKE to touch on originals. They just can't help it. It is in part of my contract my clients require to sign that I won't be liability for their careless acts.

Some clients told me do hang their original paintings in the bathrooms. Wrong on many levels. Humidity can damage originals. I always suggest that they can use art print instead for bathrooms. Don't let sunlight hit original oil painting directly ever. The colors will change over the time I'd say about in several years if it continues to be exposed to the sunlight. That's why museums and galleries use very low light and have windows shut.

That's just FYI....
The new painter , she's a student at my job taking business ed. courses. She demonstrated her talents and skills on Power point ( class project). I was interpreting this presentation. Anyways, I spoke to her and in a professional manner she asked me what size canvas I want? She pulled her portfolio a list of prices and showed me her work. I don't have a sample to share; the ocean scenery was an evening crashing waves against rocks. Beautiful in my opinion. She appears to be professional in how she presented herself and she likes to do things perfectly. She likes to do things her. I clarified , you will paint an ocean not something else? She means, her way to her liking. Making sure it looks just right. I am not looking for $10,000 paint job willing to pay $120-$200 my dog is not being painted by Piccaso or Van Gogh keep that mind. Anyone who can draw and paint well following directions is good .

The new painter , she's a student at my job taking business ed. courses. She demonstrated her talents and skills on Power point ( class project). I was interpreting this presentation. Anyways, I spoke to her and in a professional manner she asked me what size canvas I want? She pulled her portfolio a list of prices and showed me her work. I don't have a sample to share; the ocean scenery was an evening crashing waves against rocks. Beautiful in my opinion. She appears to be professional in how she presented herself and she likes to do things perfectly. She likes to do things her. I clarified , you will paint an ocean not something else? She means, her way to her liking. Making sure it looks just right. I am not looking for $10,000 paint job willing to pay $120-$200 my dog is not being painted by Piccaso or Van Gogh keep that mind. Anyone who can draw and paint well following directions is good .

They're talking about what kind of paint an artist use when they said
"What brand acrylic? Rembrandt? Varnish? Gesso? Rabbit-skin glue?"
They don't mean having the artist doing the painting . And each artist has their style of painting so if this woman try to fix your painting the brush strokes will not be the same . I am glad you found someone you like . The only thing that count is that you're happy with their work .

I have read this whole thread, and this puzzles me. The $65 doesn't seem worth losing a friendship over, but if it were, I would just dump the painting and move on. If the friendship is worth keeping, pay the $65 and stick the painting into a less-obvious space where it doesn't cause distress. I don't understand 3 pages of drama over this.

They're talking about what kind of paint an artist use when they said
"What brand acrylic? Rembrandt? Varnish? Gesso? Rabbit-skin glue?"
They don't mean having the artist doing the painting . And each artist has their style of painting so if this woman try to fix your painting the brush strokes will not be the same . I am glad you found someone you like . The only thing that count is that you're happy with their work .
As long as her art work is neat, clean and legible. I am not doing deep into this to niddie grittie as name of brands and her paint strokes. I don't have $10,000 to pay a top artist to do the job.

for any painter.... I don't ask how good are they. I ask for their portfolios. since you've seen her works and you're satisfied with it... great. glad that you found one. best of luck then!

Fair enough. It is common they ask clients what size they want, so they can give an estimate. If you feel comfortable with her work, that's fine. Good Luck.

Average dog portrait painters are paid in range of 20- 500 bucks, not $10,000. You can look up custom dog portraits on Etsy. Some prices on Etsy are very reasonable.

for any painter.... I don't ask how good are they. I ask for their portfolios. since you've seen her works and you're satisfied with it... great. glad that you found one. best of luck then!

Yeah I bet if Rio had asked her friend's dad if he was a good artist , he would had said " Why of course I am a great artist !"

Its all in the eye of the beholder; ask to see examples of their work....

****I made a decision ***

I am blowing up the photo to put on a canvas

Its all in the eye of the beholder; ask to see examples of their work....

eye-of-the-beholder.jpg

That remind me of this episode of the Twilight Zone . :giggle:

****I made a decision ***

I am blowing up the photo to put on a canvas

I think that's a great idea. There are several places online that you can do that through. I think that would be very pretty.

I think that's a great idea. There are several places online that you can do that through. I think that would be very pretty.
Yes, someone said , Costco does it. I need to check it out :) solves the problem.

I am done with the artist who ruined my painting. Believe it or not he will add the ocean. I am not trusting him he began to add his own idea saying adding a sun. I said, there is no sun in the pic. He said, he found pics of Hawaii oceans. Again, I said to him you don't have to look at Hawaii pics just follow the photo paint exact!y like the pic. I am not paying bec he is not listening to me. I made my decision blow the photo up and put it on canvas.

Back