Oil Painting Went Wrong

Rio

Brady lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am down to ask to go half price. What do you all think? I am willing to go down to $35.00 instead of $65.00. I love how my dog turned out except scenery is wrong. I can't comprehend how the person did this to me. If they can't draw an ocean at least tell me. A lot of people said, don't pay. It's my dog. Any suggestions? To give you some background it's my best friends dad. I known her and family for over 30 years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I already posted my comment about it in the other thread.

The only thing that I would add is, either you like the picture or you don't. If you like it the way it is you should pay the full price. If you don't like it, and the artist can't fix it, then don't buy it, period. Why would you pay any money at all for something that you don't like? Even if the price is cheaper, it's not going to change how it looks.

from other thread -

I spoke to him about what happened to the ocean? He said, that he can't draw the ocean good. He said, he painted it (unsure if he did) and it didn't look good , so he painted mountains. He gave me this thing about how the dog was the main object and I need to have a perspective about the art work. He said something I was not clear ( I gave him an 8 x 10 photo) .

As much as I would have loved the ocean, I admit he did a fantastic job on my dog. The man who did it is my best friend's father. I have known her parents since I was a child.

I didn't get upset, just a bit let down on the scenery. He said, I didn't have to pay but he would keep the painting. If I buy it he would charge $65.00.

well - since this guy is your best friend's father... you'll just have to suck it up and move on if you don't want to sour the relationship.

if this guy was just some guy... I'd refuse to pay for something I don't want. so for now... to avoid an awkward situation... what you can do is take your painting to a different artist. it should be easy for a professional to repaint your background. very easy.

I already posted my comment about it in the other thread.

The only thing that I would add is, either you like the picture or you don't. If you like it the way it is you should pay the full price. If you don't like it, and the artist can't fix it, then don't buy it, period. Why would you pay any money at all for something that you don't like? Even if the price is cheaper, it's not going to change how it looks.

Reba, very true what you are saying. Just put yourself in my shoes, if this was a painting of your grandchild , the child looks fantastic except the child is at the beach not at the park.

I am not 100% happy with pic as a whole. I minus the scenery and focus on my dog. This person put me between a rock and a hard place.

I specifically, said the beach as a matter of fact he mention water and sand. I felt confident he do just that.

I have the right to not pay and drop this painting all at once and ask someone else to do the job.

from other thread -

well - since this guy is your best friend's father... you'll just have to suck it up and move on if you don't want to sour the relationship.

if this guy was just some guy... I'd refuse to pay for something I don't want. so for now... to avoid an awkward situation... what you can do is take your painting to a different artist. it should be easy for a professional to repaint your background. very easy.

Exactly, the friendship to consider and keep in mind without any arguments. Either way the friendship after this painting can change. Unless, we forget about it and move on and remember for me never to ask her dad again to do a painting.

I hate to say this but I think that is horrible and not professional at all ! I would not pay a wooden nickel for it! Did you see any of the person art works before having them do the painting? What kind of agreement did you made with this person . If they have an ad saying 'professional artist'
that is a fault advertisement.

"I spoke to him about what happened to the ocean? He said, that he can't draw the ocean good. He said, he painted it (unsure if he did) and it didn't look good , so he painted mountains. He gave me this thing about how the dog was the main object and I need to have a perspective about the art work. He said something I was not clear ( I gave him an 8 x 10 photo) . "

What a load of CRAP! The guy is trying to say it's your fault " for not having an eye for art when in reality the guy can't paint for ****! This is why I say it's not good idea to business with friends or their family . He should had told you" he could not paint oceans vey good. " And he is wrong the ocean is a part of your memory of your dog , you spend time with your dog at the water not the mountain.

I hate to say this but I think that is horrible and not professional at all ! I would not pay a wooden nickel for it! Did you see any of the person art works before having them do the painting? What kind of agreement did you made with this person . If they have an ad saying 'professional artist'

This person is my best friends dad, I have known him since I was a kid. I am learning he is not professional.

It was a friend's father who did the painting. Different circumstances than when you hire a "stranger" to do something for you.

Reba, very true what you are saying. Just put yourself in my shoes, if this was a painting of your grandchild , the child looks fantastic except the child is at the beach not at the park.

I am not 100% happy with pic as a whole. I minus the scenery and focus on my dog. This person put me between a rock and a hard place.

I specifically, said the beach as a matter of fact he mention water and sand. I felt confident he do just that.

I have the right to not pay and drop this painting all at once and ask someone else to do the job.
It's always best to have the specifications in writing.

Well, it's all up to you. Only you know how much it means to you.

If you do buy it, maybe you can have it matted and framed in a way that will minimize the background.

If you do buy it, maybe you can have it matted and framed in a way that will minimize the background.

I was thinking the same thing, but that one looks like it would be hard to do.

Hmm, maybe have the matting on the right side show the dog's name?

I am down to ask to go half price. What do you all think? I am willing to go down to $35.00 instead of $65.00. I love how my dog turned out except scenery is wrong. I can't comprehend how the person did this to me. If they can't draw an ocean at least tell me. A lot of people said, don't pay. It's my dog. Any suggestions?

You can ask other people's opinions forever, but you are the one who has to live with it, so it's going to be your own decision.

Could you live with a plain background? I think he should be able to paint out what is there by covering that and make an attractive mottled background in a nice blue.

This person is my best friends dad, I have known him since I was a kid. I am learning he is not professional.

That is a painful lesson . You're the one that has to live with the painting and decide what it's worth to you . I am guessing you had not seen any of his art work . I have a feeling he does numbers painting a lot and
think he is an artist. I knew people like that . Good luck with this one.

That is a painful lesson . You're the one that has to live with the painting and decide what it's worth to you . I am guessing you had not seen any of his art work . I have a feeling he does numbers painting a lot and
think he is an artist. I knew people like that . Good luck with this one.

paint by numbers, thinks he's artist, that statement made me laugh!:lol:

It's always best to have the specifications in writing.

Well, it's all up to you. Only you know how much it means to you.

I was going to , didn't think it was necessary bec he's my best friends dad and figured he knew what he was doing. I thought wrong , it was all verbal and the only physical document I have is the 8x10 I gave him. As you know this really puts me in an awkward position it's my best friends dad. We have known each other over 30 years.

My sister was is artist and went the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and met her husband there . My sister had won a scholarship for one of her art work and mom had a friend come over to see the painting. Mom friend said
"Wow , your daughter is very good you can't even see the numbers!" Mom almost fell over backward! Her friend said her child is an artist too they paint with the numbers all the time. My mom told her friend there are NO numbers , her daughter painted this on her own. It was very funny , mom's
friend calling her child an artist b/c they do number painting all the time.

I was going to , didn't think it was necessary bec he's my best friends dad and figured he knew what he was doing. I thought wrong , it was all verbal and the only physical document I have is the 8x10 I gave him. As you know this really puts me in an awkward position it's my best friends dad. We have known each other over 30 years.

I feel for you , what does your friend think of the painting ? Does she know how you feel about it ?

I would just pay it and keep the friend. His materials probably cost about as much as what you are paying.

I feel for you , what does your friend think of the painting ? Does she know how you feel about it ?

My friend loved it! I can see why it's her dad. I believe, she knows bec I asked her what happened to the beach? All she said, call my dad. I did and spoke to him myself. He rambled on that I need to have a prospective in art. He went on about how the subject is outstanding. I said , the beach what happened? He said to me he can't draw oceans.

I have mix emotions, I love how painted my dog she looks perfectly painted. I must say, the background doesn't do me any justice purple and blue mountains?

This just reminded me of the time some of us were painting sets for a Little Theater play. One gal that taught art at the high school and jr. college level did most of the drawing and others of us filled it in. I made a comment of it reminding me of "Paint by Numbers" and she took a brush and drew numbers on some of it. Oh how I miss those days. The group got away from doing things with the complicated "flats" and that gal has also since died.

Back