Oil change

The reason why it took 30 min or less, because the engine was cold and I didn't want to deal with hot oil when I removes oil filter. I have a habit to fill fresh oil into new oil filter then screw in the filter (I just filled it to 3/4 full after the filter been soaked to prevent damage to engine in a long run). My truck w/ V8 use 6 quarts of oil while Jeep take 5 quarts. I don't use funnel to pour in oil cuz it already have built in funnel w/ cap. I had to pour in carefully then dump in once it's 1/2 empty. I let the can sit upside down for few min to become completely empty. Then fired up the truck to let oil circulate just for a min. That"s why it took me time. I do that during my free time.

Catty

The reason why it took 30 min or less, because the engine was cold and I didn't want to deal with hot oil when I removes oil filter. I have a habit to fill fresh oil into new oil filter then screw in the filter (I just filled it to 3/4 full after the filter been soaked to prevent damage to engine in a long run). My truck w/ V8 use 6 quarts of oil while Jeep take 5 quarts. I don't use funnel to pour in oil cuz it already have built in funnel w/ cap. I had to pour in carefully then dump in once it's 1/2 empty. I let the can sit upside down for few min to become completely empty. Then fired up the truck to let oil circulate just for a min. That"s why it took me time. I do that during my free time.

Catty

duh me! I forgot about cooling the engine before doing an oil change!

Catty

Very interesting. I always do on weekend at morning so engine already cold. :)

i tend to go 2 thou km overdue (manual says 5 thou km) for oil change...when my oil gets dirty then it time for oil change and a new filter. but with my oldsmobile, it doesnt burn oil fast and lasts quite a while and i barely go on a very long trips so thats alright.

Back