Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

I sent a brief message to Hulu letting them know the closed captioning was incomplete, and according to their response, Hulu is reposting the episode later today:

We watched thru directv and Switched at Birth Ep .2's CC do not show up at all. WTF. Stupid ABC networking.

swifter-vac1-300x300.jpg

What's do with this?

LOL iSwifter instead of Swifter. I m stupid myself. :)

Watched Episode 2 and man there's so much crap that pisses me off, but I won't divulge the spoilers.

Out of curiosity, is it the stuff that the show presumably wants you to be pissed off about? (Such as "rich parents wanting to 'save' the poor family from themselves" or "hearing people being stupid about d/Deaf"?) Or flaws with the show itself, like bad ASL or unrealistic reactions of the characters?

Out of curiosity, is it the stuff that the show presumably wants you to be pissed off about? (Such as "rich parents wanting to 'save' the poor family from themselves" or "hearing people being stupid about d/Deaf"?)

Both.

Yiz

Both.

Yiz

Ah. In that case, I'm pretty sure that's kinda the point of the show, lol. You're identifying with the less... abrasive... characters, which is obviously the goal of the show. Identify with the "underdog" characters (it's more than just a bit patronizing, but that's Disney for you) and show how they "overcame adversity" and showed their "inner strength" and blah blah blah :blah:

Ah. In that case, I'm pretty sure that's kinda the point of the show, lol. You're identifying with the less... abrasive... characters, which is obviously the goal of the show. Identify with the "underdog" characters (it's more than just a bit patronizing, but that's Disney for you) and show how they "overcame adversity" and showed their "inner strength" and blah blah blah :blah:

:hmm: I was wondering for days now if deafgirl12 is a plant of the show here to make us identify and cheerlead for the show..

Which is why I stopped participating in this thread.

:hmm: I was wondering for days now if deafgirl12 is a plant of the show here to make us identify and cheerlead for the show..

Hah, wouldn't be the first time. Though, it's a bit of a compliment to the site that they found us worthwhile of even trying something like that.

Out of curiosity, is it the stuff that the show presumably wants you to be pissed off about? (Such as "rich parents wanting to 'save' the poor family from themselves" or "hearing people being stupid about d/Deaf"?)
So the fact that the show is displaying a common and pervasive learning curve for hearing people when first exposed to deaf culture for the first time, is a bad thing? Yizuman is angry that the show is realistic?

I know this idea is completely out of left field, but might it just be possible that they are showing the hearing family as completely clueless, so they can, over time in a natural progression, show them growing and learning? (And along with the family, the clueless hearing viewer also learns about deaf culture, and vicariously works through the "culture clash," so when they actually encounter deaf individuals, they have a realistic frame of reference that actually sticks in their mind?)

Good point, and she supports the Canucks too, another reason to shun her :) .

So the fact that the show is displaying a common and pervasive learning curve for hearing people when first exposed to deaf culture for the first time, is a bad thing? Yizuman is angry that the show is realistic?

I know this idea is completely out of left field, but might it just be possible that they are showing the hearing family as completely clueless, so they can, over time in a natural progression, show them growing and learning? (And along with the family, the clueless hearing viewer also learns about deaf culture, and vicariously works through the "culture clash," so when they actually encounter deaf individuals, they have a realistic frame of reference that actually sticks in their mind?)

Nope, I was pointing out that the offensive behaviors were actually in character for them, rather than being offensive due to ignorance on the part of the show writers. I'm almost certain that what you said is the entire point of it.

Nope, I was pointing out that the offensive behaviors were actually in character for them, rather than being offensive due to ignorance on the part of the show writers. I'm almost certain that what you said is the entire point of it.
Sorry, I didn't specify who I was responding to well. I was actually responding to Yiruzman's response to your posting, but merely quoted your comment, as it was the "topic" at hand. I agree, the offensive behaviors are completely in character and realistic. I'm amazed some people are taking umbrage with realistic portrayals of initial "immersion" into deaf culture.

Sorry, I didn't specify who I was responding to well. I was actually responding to Yiruzman's response to your posting, but merely quoted your comment, as it was the "topic" at hand. I agree, the offensive behaviors are completely in character and realistic. I'm amazed some people are taking umbrage with realistic portrayals of initial "immersion" into deaf culture.

It's just it's reminding me the BS that I had to go through and see that compare to my generation of dealing with BS is still prevalent to today's generation. Some things never change.

Especially when the Mom declined to go along with the rich couple to sue (you know what) because the Mom felt that money doesn't solve everything and the arrogance from the rich couple flipping out that the Mom actually turned down money thinking EVERYBODY WANTS MONEY and they think the Mom is strange for not wanting it.

Thing is, not everyone wants to be rich, it would be arrogant to assume that everyone wants money. Some may have a sour taste for people for having too much money.

I also have a couple of theories as to other possible reasons why the Mom turned them down.

Yiz

It's just it's reminding me the BS that I had to go through and see that compare to my generation of dealing with BS is still prevalent to today's generation. Some things never change.

Especially when the Mom declined to go along with the rich couple to sue (you know what) because the Mom felt that money doesn't solve everything and the arrogance from the rich couple flipping out that the Mom actually turned down money thinking EVERYBODY WANTS MONEY and they think the Mom is strange for not wanting it.

Thing is, not everyone wants to be rich, it would be arrogant to assume that everyone wants money. Some may have a sour taste for people for having too much money.

I also have a couple of theories as to other possible reasons why the Mom turned them down.

As long as you realize that this is actually realistic (well, close enough) and not actually bad TV, and that the reaction you're having is the one they want you to have, lol.

I'd be curious to hear opinions on the mom's statement to the Deaf daughter, when she said that not only was it up to the daughter to educate the hearing family, but that she "had" to do so. I understand the sentiment, but I think it would have played better if the mother had instead said that in rebuttal to the hearing parents, telling them that if they want to get to know the Deaf daughter and their family, that they have to be the ones to learn and educate themselves.

As for the Deaf mother turning down the money, my guess is that it's simple pride - she views the money basically as a handout from the rich parents and doesn't want to take "their" money, likely because she already feels as though she's "sold out" by taking their free housing and the like.

WTF? The episode at the ABC family is not captioned? Am I missing something here?

WTF? The episode at the ABC family is not captioned? Am I missing something here?

It is captioned -- both on ABC Family and on Hulu. The Hulu CC was missing some dialogue, which they said they would fix immediately and re-upload, and I think they did.

i am a hard of hearing competitive swimmer...could you maybe put in how IT IS NOT HARD FOR PEOPLE TO REPEAT SOMETHING. it totally gets on my nerves. and the stereotypes should be cleared up too. (14 yrs btw).

Attachment is pic for next week's episode.....

Guess who??????

Yiz

Attachments

• 259069_206448466065705_144603945583491_565587_250512_o.jpg
    259069_206448466065705_144603945583491_565587_250512_o.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 21
Back