Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

Okay, we know you work for the network... so why are you acting like you're watching the episodes at the same time as everyone else?

If you're an intern they sent to rouse up support, they should be letting you watch the episodes ahead of time so that you know how to appropriately build up interest without looking clueless.

I no longer bother watching this show since the 2nd attempt that lasted a few minutes longer on the fist episode because of the 'ABCFamily' poster. Is this poster a poser? I have no idea.

It just feels like nothing of substance coming out of the poster. "Ohhhhh I love this discussion........" Nothing of like "Wow, that is a good thought. I will make sure the producers, writers, or actors are aware of that for future shows."

I am strongly leaning on the last paragraph - this is a poster that was sent to rouse up support. The PM I got from her/him whoever was laughable.

To end this post/rant off - the poster said "Ohhh this feels realistic" What does? The show to the hearing population? Even though it shows things that are not exactly real about the Deaf?

Yeah....... There's that thing, ignorance.

Makes me happy with the decision I made a while back, no TV. Too much bullshit behind the scenes.

If this ABCFamily person was worth anything this person will pass up to the future producers the organization name, Facundo Element, for wonderful consultation related to having deaf issues, deaf people, actors, etc..

Captioning was mixing up while watched it on last night. I just watched it online with subtitle. That s better that TV.

Yeah, Switched at Birth ain't that great. It just okay. I prefer full deaf show series. I hope ABC Family realize that someday.

Yeah, Switched at Birth ain't that great. It just okay. I prefer full deaf show series. I hope ABC Family realize that someday.

Oh pray tell, what "full deaf show series" do you speak of?

Please, I'm dying to know.

(a five minute skit on youtube or a giant computer-generated Alien doesn't count)

I still see it as somewhat educational... I liked how she said that sound is vibration, gotta teach the hearies that we listen to music, too! Seems that each episode brings up a point that is fairly common in the community that the hearies make a wrong assumption about. Besides that, it's just a regular TV show to me and I'm pretty much hooked like any other TV shows. The plot itself is pretty terrible though. Doesn't matter if the show's not "deaf enough." It's still bringing up a few points that the hearies constantly ask about.

I still see it as somewhat educational... I liked how she said that sound is vibration, gotta teach the hearies that we listen to music, too! Seems that each episode brings up a point that is fairly common in the community that the hearies make a wrong assumption about. Besides that, it's just a regular TV show to me and I'm pretty much hooked like any other TV shows. The plot itself is pretty terrible though. Doesn't matter if the show's not "deaf enough." It's still bringing up a few points that the hearies constantly ask about.

Yeah, my complaint is more with the absolutely terrible plot and story. It's just getting worse and worse. But then, I guess I should have expected that from something on ABC Fambly

Thinking the same thing - just finished watching the show earlier tonight.
They should improve better though however, there is more to come, who knows, if they change a little bit? But then again, it is just a TV show after all.

Hi! I just joined the community and this is my first post. I am hearing and have been watching this show. It offends me that Bay's character is multifaceted (okay, maybe she only has like three facets: she likes art, defacing public property, and being a moody teen) while Daphne's character is written such that they really only focus on her Deafness. I'm glad they started playing up her interest in basketball more, but it kind of gives the impression that the only thing that is important about her character is that she cannot hear. That's how I feel, but I wanted to get perspectives from other people on this.

Hi! I just joined the community and this is my first post. I am hearing and have been watching this show. It offends me that Bay's character is multifaceted (okay, maybe she only has like three facets: she likes art, defacing public property, and being a moody teen) while Daphne's character is written such that they really only focus on her Deafness. I'm glad they started playing up her interest in basketball more, but it kind of gives the impression that the only thing that is important about her character is that she cannot hear. That's how I feel, but I wanted to get perspectives from other people on this.

You're not the only one. They need to work on the character development and plot a bit better. What I liked about the show is that they are indeed educating the public audience about the deaf culture in some way, but the plot itself? Horrid.

You're not the only one. They need to work on the character development and plot a bit better. What I liked about the show is that they are indeed educating the public audience about the deaf culture in some way, but the plot itself? Horrid.

I am not an advocate of education through horrible plots.

I am not an advocate of education through horrible plots.

Really? They're actually both related? Really? Really? I see them telling the public that it's perfectly fine for a deaf person to have a motorcycle, to listen to music, and all that? But it's not okay for them to be whiney little brats?

Think about it, sweetheart. The show is actually aimed for people younger than us and hopefully it'll educate them that we can do anything, but hear. Doesn't matter what plot it is, as long as "deaf" points are being brought up. <3

Also, if you feel so strongly, why not suggest to write the script?

Really? They're actually both related? Really? Really? I see them telling the public that it's perfectly fine for a deaf person to have a motorcycle, to listen to music, and all that? But it's not okay for them to be whiney little brats?

Think about it, sweetheart. The show is actually aimed for people younger than us and hopefully it'll educate them that we can do anything, but hear. Doesn't matter what plot it is, as long as "deaf" points are being brought up. <3

Also, if you feel so strongly, why not suggest to write the script?

For the suggestion of writing the script - I already am a step ahead of you on that one, post 242.

I havent seen the show since the first show tho, but it seems everything is too focused on daphanes deafness? The way they showed how awkward she spoke to the family at the first meeting was not in norms of the culture. That made me cringe because its not real. Since then who knows what else are there that would make me cringe some more....

People say it's only TV and is not real. But hey, theres a LOT of stupid people out there believing TV.

But hey, who is to know how many people stopped watching the show after the first episode only to have "Private school is better for the deaf than a deaf school" embedded in the furthest part of their head.

For the suggestion of writing the script - I already am a step ahead of you on that one, post 242.

I havent seen the show since the first show tho, but it seems everything is too focused on daphanes deafness? The way they showed how awkward she spoke to the family at the first meeting was not in norms of the culture. That made me cringe because its not real. Since then who knows what else are there that would make me cringe some more....

People say it's only TV and is not real. But hey, theres a LOT of stupid people out there believing TV.

But hey, who is to know how many people stopped watching the show after the first episode only to have "Private school is better for the deaf than a deaf school" embedded in the furthest part of their head.

If you watched a bit more, you'd see that it's just another corny tv show.

Back