Offended by ASL students?

lol. good job twisting the story. the "rouge girl" said her father was deaf
???? The rogue is the father because he is offended. Ms Bucket already confirmed that is what she was referring to. Nothing was twisted.

I agree. Unless he is one of the extreme left D/deaf.

or has been abused and neglected by hearies to a great degree that led him to have a hatred toward hearies.

"A girl came up to them and told them that her Dad was deaf and was offended that they were signing to eachother because they were hearing."

The antecedent in this sentence isn't clear.

Is the meaning this?

"A girl came up to them and told them that her Dad was deaf and he was offended that they were signing to each other because they were hearing."

Or was it this?

"A girl came up to them and told them that her Dad was deaf, and she was offended that they were signing to each other because they were hearing."

Was the deaf father present? If not, how would he be offended? :dunno:

"A girl came up to them and told them that her Dad was deaf and was offended that they were signing to eachother because they were hearing."

Is the meaning this?

"A girl came up to them and told them that her Dad was deaf and he was offended that they were signing to each other because they were hearing."

Or was it this?

"A girl came up to them and told them that her Dad was deaf, and she was offended that they were signing to each other because they were hearing."

Good point Reba!

Is the meaning this?

Or was it this?

I was thinking the same.

or maybe the guy is just an asshole. We can speculate all day.

I have no need to speculate on this incident... only your opinions in this thread. It's interesting that all of your posts are fixated on Deaf's attitude :hmm:

methinks you have a bad experience with deaf people?

I have no need to speculate on this incident... only your opinions in this thread. It's interesting that all of your posts are fixated on Deaf's attitude :hmm: methinks you have a bad experience with deaf people?
man are you living in fantacy land. And unless you know this person and their exact reasons for what they did in this particular incident, you are speculating.

You shouldn't allow a rogue Deaf person's opinion affect yours of the whole Deaf community.

+1. You will find disagreeable people in any culture. They don't, however, reflect what is true for the majority.

But I also have to commend this poster on asking what is offensive or not instead of just assuming one way or the other.

:fruit:

no I do not know but like I said - I'm more interested in how you speculated it than what happened in this incident.

A better than average chance the speculation was arrived at as the result of a past experience that influences perceptions. Add projection to the mix.

A better than average chance the speculation was arrived at as the result of a past experience that influences perceptions. Add projection to the mix.

couldn't have said it any better!

From what I remember from the post the father was present and his daughter was telling the students that he was offended. But since I wasnt there I can't really tell you much more then that. The poster was confused because she felt she wasn't doing anything wrong, but again I wasnt there while she was signing. :aw:

warpedpink I teach a hearing toddler ASL vocab because I'm her Nanny. I watch her M-F as my job. Teaching her ASL was my idea that the parents thought was a great idea.

I know some people have a problem with hearing people and vice versa. I do my best to get all the facts so I can be a better person towards everyone.

I leave for the Navy soon so I could probably get a small group together, there's plenty of ASL beginners on Meetup.com that are looking for a place to practice. I'll have to look into it.

Again thanks for the warm responses! :ty:

From what I remember from the post the father was present and his daughter was telling the students that he was offended. But since I wasnt there I can't really tell you much more then that. The poster was confused because she felt she wasn't doing anything wrong, but again I wasnt there while she was signing. :aw:

warpedpink I teach a hearing toddler ASL vocab because I'm her Nanny. I watch her M-F as my job. Teaching her ASL was my idea that the parents thought was a great idea.

I know some people have a problem with hearing people and vice versa. I do my best to get all the facts so I can be a better person towards everyone.

I leave for the Navy soon so I could probably get a small group together, there's plenty of ASL beginners on Meetup.com that are looking for a place to practice. I'll have to look into it.

Anytime. We love to deliver very warm responses. :D

Welcome aboard! I'm retired from 7 years active duty and 17 years reserve duty in the Navy. (1970-1995) :)

I have read that story before. I think it is like Urban Myth.

Back