Offended by ASL students?

Megan8987

Reaction score
I havent taken any formal ASL classes....just one online course, everything else I've got from books, online, and DVDs. I teach ASL vocab to a hearing toddler, I love the language, but I don't have anyone to sign with except my family...and their vocab is really limited right now (but they're trying) :giggle:

I read online somewhere that two ASL students were walking through Walmart signing to eachother. A girl came up to them and told them that her Dad was deaf and was offended that they were signing to eachother because they were hearing.

After reading that I tend to get really nervous signing to my fiance or kids in public. Granted I'm still learning and my grammar and syntex is completely off...but if I need to start somewhere.

I also don't want to go to Borders where they hold Deaf get togethers because some people posted that they get upset by new signers being there. They dont want to feel like they have to "teach" and are there to get to know and talk to other Deaf people. Which I understand.

So where does that leave me and other ASL students? Would you be offended if you saw me signing to my hearing Fiance and you know I'm hearing? What about if I came to Borders. If I can't practice then my signing wont get better. But offending people is definitely not something I want to do either.

Thanks for the advice in advance! :ty:

You shouldn't allow a rogue Deaf person's opinion affect yours of the whole Deaf community.

I think if you were sitting there cussing at eachother maybe, I hate when I'm at a restraunt with my friend (she is learning sign) and people come up and interupt our converstaion with "oh you deaf" "me hearing learn asl" You don't just go up to people in the hearing world just to ask if their hearin and tell them how your taking a college english course... But if I saw you signing to your kids hearing or not in any situation I would not have a problem with that infact I think its great! Its a beautiful language and the more people that learn the better in my oppinion.

I havent taken any formal ASL classes....just one online course, everything else I've got from books, online, and DVDs. I teach ASL vocab to a hearing toddler, I love the language, but I don't have anyone to sign with except my family...and their vocab is really limited right now (but they're trying) :giggle:

I read online somewhere that two ASL students were walking through Walmart signing to eachother. A girl came up to them and told them that her Dad was deaf and was offended that they were signing to eachother because they were hearing.

After reading that I tend to get really nervous signing to my fiance or kids in public. Granted I'm still learning and my grammar and syntex is completely off...but if I need to start somewhere.

I also don't want to go to Borders where they hold Deaf get togethers because some people posted that they get upset by new signers being there. They dont want to feel like they have to "teach" and are there to get to know and talk to other Deaf people. Which I understand.

So where does that leave me and other ASL students? Would you be offended if you saw me signing to my hearing Fiance and you know I'm hearing? What about if I came to Borders. If I can't practice then my signing wont get better. But offending people is definitely not something I want to do either.

Thanks for the advice in advance! :ty:
I think some people are just too sensitive. I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would be offended by two people signing to each other regardless of if they can hear or not. It would be like a hearing person being offended if two oral deaf were speaking to each other. What is offensive about it. :dunno: I also see from posts here by deaf people that for the most part they are willing to help hearing people that are truly interested in learning ASL but on the other hand I can also see where in some cases they may just want to chat with other deaf folks. I don't see any problem with that. I guess you just have to know your place and the audience. It should not be offensive to ask first.

I think you would be safe at the Border's if you didn't stare at people's conversations or try to interrupt.

Just go and be a wallflower until you are confident.

Mrs. Bucket, who's the rogue?

Megan, welcome to Alldeaf. I think it's great that you sign to your fiance in public.

Mrs. Bucket, who's the rogue?

Megan, welcome to Alldeaf. I think it's great that you sign to your fiance in public.
the rouge is the father that got offended when he saw two hearing people signing to each other. It's bolded in my post above

Thank you for the responses. I didn't think it would be offensive, but I didnt want to assume either. :aw:

I think I will go to Borders...maybe after a few times I'll open up. :hmm:

the rouge is the father that got offended when he saw two hearing people signing to each other. It's bolded in my post above

lol. good job twisting the story. the "rouge girl" said her father was deaf

I've only been offended once by an ASL student and that was back in high school. She made a point of signing to me and greatly exaggerating her speech only when she had an audience as if to show off while completely disregarding the fact that I don't even know ASL.
Other than that, I think it's wonderful for anyone to learn a new language and to practice it, be it oral or sign.

Ooops, missed that. Ok, why this guy was offended is beyond me......

Megan, ya can always start a Beginners ASL group on am alternate day than the deaf group. As the beginners progress they can 'graduate' into the deaf group. Practice make perfect, and that way you all can work on getting conversationally good.

well if that 'social' that what book store or somewhere as small club somewhere is community. If you see there are signing ASL and that great because that mean will have better educate future for parent who could have child being Deaf and better expose.

Offended me will being stare our topic or anything for 30 minutes then come to us and say they are ASL student. Yes... I would be MAD and have some respect our conversant.

It similar Spanish student to speech each other who aren't SPANISH fluent.

Only offended me from ASL student is.. when I went to front counter and asked for paper or pen unless I bring my own. Happen one person saw and come to counter to take the cashier for short time and say.. ' I am learning ASL, sign language. me help you?'

So I sign as normal and person stop me... 'I am still learning, please sign slower...' that offend me because I am customer and told me to slow down.

The person should prepare for challenge to communicate if think do great.. go for it... if person realized not ready... should say sorry and thought know enough sign on depend on where they from teaching or social which it good chance for them learn.

What you share about that and I don't see any offended... unless they say ' I am taking sign since my father is Deaf and 'DUMB' ' I have heard in past even the kid called their parent as Deaf and DUMB... I was surprise still using as it is 2010...

Back