Odd reason for joining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimsy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Mimsy. I'm a Hearie and have been reading here for 2 years. I've been using this forum as my hide-out when I need to get away from the stress in my life. I found this place when I googled "Deaf forum" because I've always found the Deaf Community to be so peaceful and well, just, different in a good way from the Hearing Community. Maybe I was Deaf in a past life, who knows, but I feel I belong here, especially when I need peace.

I'm a college student, have a normal social life (telling you this so you'll know I'm not a misfit or Deaf fetish person), I don't have any Deaf friends or even know any Deaf people anymore. I did have a Deaf family living next door when I was younger, but then my family moved to the U.S. so I don't see them any more.

I finally decided to come out and be active here if you'll have me.

Thanks for reading.

It's just as peaceful as any little inbred small town you can find. :P

And are you a fan of Lewis Carroll?

It's just as peaceful as any little inbred small town you can find. :P

And are you a fan of Lewis Carroll?

Ha! My parents must be because Mimsy is my true name! :laugh2:

And I know the Deaf Community can be as crazy and unpeaceful as any other; still, I find peace here, even when there are arguments.

Inbred small town, that's hilarious!

:wave:

I thought I know you because you almost look like my friend. oopsie! :lol:

naughtywavey.gif

What you are probably noticing about our world is that its generally very open minded. Its one of the very few cultures that embraces differences in everything such as race, ethnicity. gender, sexual preference, religious, eductional, intillegence, multiple disabilities, hobbies and interests etc. Sign language and the shared experience of living and growing up deaf (or with deaf) in a hearing world are what join us together. I doubt you can find another CULTURE that is as open ad accepting of LGBT for example.

We are often referred to as the biggest little community in the world. It is quite common for example to meet another Deaf person from across the country and discover that you have mutual friends all over the place..

coming on to strong vacation guy....take it down a weee notch

We are often referred to as the biggest little community in the world. It is quite common for example to meet another Deaf person from across the country and discover that you have mutual friends all over the place..

This is beautiful.

Thank you for welcoming me. :grouphug:

You do sound like you have been lurking for awhile. The next challenge is to see how long you can last, some of 'em around here are like linebackers, you won't see them coming.

You do sound like you have been lurking for awhile. The next challenge is to see how long you can last, some of 'em around here are like linebackers, you won't see them coming.

Oh that's ok. I'm not looking for a boyfriend or dates. I've gotten such a good feeling about this place while lurking for a long time. What amazes me and what I find so beautiful is that most of you (like 99%) are so "real", like you don't have the BS gene that much of the hearing people have. There's such acceptance and a general good-natured vibe that I get from you guys. It's hard to explain. But hearies can learn a lot from the Deaf community about love thy neighbor.

Now don't get me wrong; I know the Deaf community has it's problems among you, and you argue and disagree, and some are maybe even mean, but in general, you guys are blessed. Your deafness has created something special.

Last edited:
welcome to alldeaf. geez guys u made me spill my drink while read that hiliarous comment... XD

True, but I think we should be more afraid of her than she of us. Maybe she's come back to tell us something important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back