Odd looks

I'll catch on soon enough :)

Again, when I worked yesterday at a show. I got asked at least 8 times if I'm a hearing. I asked one man what makes him think I'm a hearing. He said, "It's the way you behave and you look too good to be deaf."

:confused::confused::confused:

So the question is... How do I make myself look more "deaf?"

Julietta,

I would sign as I speak, but... doesn't that just confuse you in regards to ASL grammar? Like isn't it coming out as SEE and not ASL?

If it doesn't affect your grammar, how on earth are you managing that?

Again, when I worked yesterday at a show. I got asked at least 8 times if I'm a hearing. I asked one man what makes him think I'm a hearing. He said, "It's the way you behave and you look too good to be deaf."

:confused::confused::confused:

So the question is... How do I make myself look more "deaf?"

you LOOK too good to be deaf? huh? I don't get that one at all....

Julietta,

I would sign as I speak, but... doesn't that just confuse you in regards to ASL grammar? Like isn't it coming out as SEE and not ASL?

If it doesn't affect your grammar, how on earth are you managing that?

I'm horrible at ASL grammar. I'm sure half of what I sign is signed english instead of proper ASL, which is why I'm taking classes instead of self-teaching. And there are some things, mostly my medical stuff, that I have down pat in proper ASL, so it's easy for me to sign/speak those basic assessment questions.

On the grammar note, if anyone has any useful resources regarding that I'd be greatly appreciative if you'd share 'em :)

Not deaf enough

People, see what I mean? This is what I have to deal within the deaf community. They all claim I'm not good enough to be deaf! *Pointing my finger*

OMG Lana I get the exact same thing, because i speak perfectly I get accused of not being deaf, who would fake that?? I will never stop speaking, I sign and speak at the same time so that everyone feels included, I know the left out feeling. It sucks doesn't it. I am profoundly deaf can not even hear my own voice..PFH..your discrimination is showing. Fortunately I don't have to make anyone happy but myself. Please don't let those in the deaf community make you feel badly. That has been my observation from the beginning of my deafness. We as a group should be supporting each other not pointing fingers...that is why we will not gain a "true" voice in this country, and be discriminated against. We all must learn to accept each persons limitations and accomplishments...deaf is deaf is deaf....it is all about what you do with it. Be at peace Lana...you are not alone...Midnight

Back