Odd looks

Julietta

Reaction score
So, I've discovered that if I sign while I'm talking and doing everyday things I remember/learn signs easier and faster. So I've started signing almost 50% of what I'm saying when I talk to my family (they're picking up some ASL too bc of this!).

Well, I was talking to some coworkers last night about a patient of ours and asked a question about what meds the patient was on and got blank/odd looks back as a response, I couldn't figure out why. Here it was bc I had signed the question instead of asking it out loud! Haha.... guess I'm gonna have to teach my ER how to sign too! :giggle:

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

I did that a lot in the past even forgot to voice with hearing folks a few times. I now usually only sign or only voice since I sign better without voicing.

yeah I find if I sign things like numbers and such, I'll remember the numbers easier but for signs, I'm still having trouble remembering which is which.

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

I did that a lot in the past even forgot to voice with hearing folks a few times. I now usually only sign or only voice since I sign better without voicing.

you are deaf? can you lipreading :) :P

Hah! I started really learning ASL in 2004 since I grew up oral and found myself voicing whatever I was signing and then gradually I would turn off my voice and start moving my lips instead. People had to learn how to read my lips! If I voice while signing, it turns into complete SEE.

I have to confess that I still think and act like a "hearie." :( I've gotten a few deaf people claiming that I'm a CODA and that I'm lying about the fact that I'm deaf.
(I'm really deaf).

Hah! I started really learning ASL in 2004 since I grew up oral and found myself voicing whatever I was signing and then gradually I would turn off my voice and start moving my lips instead. People had to learn how to read my lips! If I voice while signing, it turns into complete SEE.

I have to confess that I still think and act like a "hearie." :( I've gotten a few deaf people claiming that I'm a CODA and that I'm lying about the fact that I'm deaf.
(I'm really deaf).

You're not.

I know. Such a sad thing... Damn deaf people that never believes you.

And you're one of them apparently.

So unfortunate, indeed. Maybe my intelligence just far surpasses yours and the rest of deafies that they're so jealous of me which causes them to downgrade me somehow to a "hearie" level to make themselves feel better.

...... since when is not being deaf a downgrade? :roll: One's not better than the other, it's just different

...... since when is not being deaf a downgrade? :roll: One's not better than the other, it's just different

Welcome to my world. :) PS. PFH is just joking. He knows me IRL. There is still some discrimination even in our community especially when it comes to oral versus ASL.

And you're one of them apparently.

So unfortunate, indeed. Maybe my intelligence just far surpasses yours and the rest of deafies that they're so jealous of me which causes them to downgrade me somehow to a "hearie" level to make themselves feel better.
Thankfully you tossed that "maybe" in there.

Welcome to my world. :) PS. PFH is just joking. He knows me IRL. There is still some discrimination even in our community especially when it comes to oral versus ASL.

Haha... I was hoping it was an inside joke I was just missing, bc otherwise my first thought was 'god, what an ass!' :giggle:

Back