Observation

Enough of the "woe is me" act you got going on there. It's not your child they are not accepting, it's you.

How can we accept or reject a child we have never met here at AllDeaf?

Geez.

Enough of the "woe is me" act you got going on there. It's not your child they are not accepting, it's you.

Geez.

Exactly...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGIEjo1_xCw]YouTube - Horse eating Cat[/ame]

Is that horse really eating that cat? I can see the title of it.

Okay, that was a misleading title and thankfully so.

Yes, I clicked on play before realizing the title and then after I did that, I glanced at the title and I was :shock: thinking I was going to watch a gruesome video. Whew...it wasnt the case.

:) :) I had to throw something off in there. :P

angrywifexs9.gif

Hey Faire_jour, I'm sorry some people feel the need to attack your daughter in real life or on the internet. I'm hearing and I don't have anybody in my family whose deaf, so I don't know what you went through when you had to make a choice. My choice personally would be to not implant my child, for me they were born deaf for a reason. You chose to implant your daughter,and you as a parent have that choice. But I think its a little unrealistic to come to a Deaf board and expect the Deaf community to pat you on the back about your daughter having a CI. ASL is their first language and they don't want other deaf kids to go through what they did. I recently went to a deaf elementary school for the first time, the kids put on a little show and everything. They were happy and I think its because for them, they didn't see anything wrong. They were happy being deaf. Is your daughter unhappy with her CI? Maybe not, but could she have been just as happy being deaf? Probably. You have a long road ahead of you with all the speech therapy, language building and so on. Just be careful when you word your words. One of your posts made it sound like you were saying that without the CI your daughter wouldn't have a fulfilling life. I know you meant along the lines of without a CI she'd never hear a bird chirp. But I think it was Jillio (if it wasn't...I'm sorry :D ) that said deaf children "hear" differently. The way you worded your comment can set people off :) . As for the threads about hating hearing people, I avoid them. I know not all Deaf people hate hearing people, so why set myself up to be hurt? Sorry I rambled... :giggle:

Yep, that was me.:P

Heh, she KNOWS that and hides behind the ASL smokescreen... She was claiming that the deaf can't learn english because they're deaf.. o.O

Things like that.. of course they incite people. She keeps going on and on, its absurd.

This place is much more agreeable when she doesn't post and I truly wish she doesnt.

No doubt. First she expects her daughter to accommodate her, rather than the other way around as it should be. Then, she comes in here and expects the entire forum to accommodate her. I'm fairly certain she would come off that way IRL to the deaf community.

I've read some on your writing in On The Fence.
Wow.....can't believe you reconize me on here! :cool2:
I'm asking them to accept my daughter. She is deaf, no matter if she uses ASL or if she chooses to listen and speak.
But we do. Many of us have oral skills too you know. Not everyone here is a voice off unaided unCId Deafie.
In fact if a parent of a dhh kid asked me, I would reccomend that they pursue speech therapy, since oral skills are an awesome thing to have. But I also would strongly reccomend ASL and even Cued Speech
If you are around people who are throwing hate and rage at your child at every turn, maybe you need to hang with a better class of people. It sure doesn't happen on this forum.

You might keep in mind that you throw around your share of the above at deaf members of this forum.
Do people get pissed at you? Yeppers. But it doesn't have anything to do with your kid.
Amen. Most people here tend to be very moderate. There's not a lot of CI sucks or CI is teh evil. Many of us have CIs or are hoh! It's just that you don't understand that you're just starting the journey. Yes, its great that there are less kids who are complete oral failures but there are still many CI kids with siginficent expressive issues, and who do not get a lot of access to the hearing world.
Oralism in any form does not help our children.
Yes. Oral training does yes. But assuming that oral only is enough for dhh kids (as a population) is effed up There are some kids who feel no need for ASL or deaf culture.....but overall, many many children can benifit from ASL and Deaf culture. Many kids don't need intense speech therapy a la AVT or Clarke School.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Heh, she KNOWS that and hides behind the ASL smokescreen... She was claiming that the deaf can't learn english because they're deaf.. o.O

Things like that.. of course they incite people. She keeps going on and on, its absurd.

This place is much more agreeable when she doesn't post and I truly wish she doesnt.

No doubt. First she expects her daughter to accommodate her, rather than the other way around as it should be. Then, she comes in here and expects the entire forum to accommodate her. I'm fairly certain she would come off that way IRL to the deaf community.

i have never once ask my daughter to accomidate me. If she wants me to sign, i sign. If she asks me to speak, i speak. Hell, sometimes she wants to write, so we do that.

also, when have i ever asked anyone here to "accomidate" me or my views? I have asked the general deaf community to be more accepting of parents, but don't you worry, all the parents have heard the "f u" that you guys have given even those who chose asl for their kids.

It never ends. I see this in the parents of deaf children all of the times. Their children are always the one who end up getting hurt the most of all.
But some of you are insisting there's only one way. That is the Deaf way and nothing else. Success comes in different forms.

Oralism in any form does not help our children.
Now, why is it okay for her to make that comment? Why that continued double standard in the forum? Why does it only have to be an one way street? That if some AD'ers or members read carefully rather than just letting the emotions get the best of them they'll actually see that most of the, as constructively put, "heated discussions" stems from the following:

"THERE'S ONLY ONE RIGHT WAY" vs "There isn't..."

Geez.
Exactly. That also applies to FJ's child as well. That's what some of us have been saying all along. Yet some of the AD'ers are insisting to see it only as an one way street.

My parents accommodated me even though they didn't know signs. They are more than one way to accommodate the deaf child and it doesn't only have to revolve around signing or the Deaf way.

But some of you are insisting there's only one way. That is the Deaf way and nothing else. Success comes in different forms.

No one is insisting that there is only one way. It is your dichotomous thinking that is getting in the way of you really understanding what is being said.:cool2:

Back