Obesity= A very serous topic

Nancy said:
Yes, he did, OB.....it was that thread when RS wanted to call a lawyer just because of a cartoon character of himself was in "jail".

I agree, RS is crazy.

thought so. ;)

ravensteve1961 said:
I still think the goverment should get involved like banning fast food ads from TV,Billboards,Mazigines,Newspapers and on the interbnet. Its ok put an mc donalds or burger king ad on the radio cause you cant see a big mac or a juicy whopper to make you hungry.
*listening to the sounds of burgers sizzling on the grill*

Damn... I'm hungry for some burgers!*

*listening to dog say 'yo quero, Taco Bell'*

Damn... I'm hungry for some burritos!

*listening to soda can being opened*

Whoa... I'm thirsty! I gotta have some Coke!

Dude, banning fast food commercials isn't going to help. Doing that will only lead to more problems.

VamPyroX said:

Dude, banning fast food commercials isn't going to help. Doing that will only lead to more problems.

:werd:

But, Vamp, did you HAVE to mention Taco Bell? :barf:

:rofl:

Well, if rs believe that then we shall banned eggs, shrimp and red meats. they cause heart attack.

jazzy said:
Well, if rs believe that then we shall banned eggs, shrimp and red meats. they cause heart attack.
You're right. We should also ban bread, rice, etc... cuz they are high in carbs.

rice? We need that! brown, black and wild rice, there are lot of different kinds of rice and they are good value to ur health. White rice is bad for you, it's enriched grain.

sequoias said:
rice? We need that! brown, black and wild rice, there are lot of different kinds of rice and they are good value to ur health. White rice is bad for you, it's enriched grain.

Tell that to my Dad, would you? He's on the South Beach Diet, and has demonized rice. He's rigid, and tends to take things a bit far.

VamPyroX said:

Look at how many people who smoked cigarettes when cigarette ads were on TV? Today the numbers have dropped since those cigarette ads were pulled off the air. Yeah listening to burger sizzling on the grill but if your kid says dad whats sizzling on the grill you tell him bacon.Or he asks what does a big mac look like? you tell him its a sort of a green vegtable then you know he wont beg you go to mc donalds. See on TV you cant fool kids. They see all these ads like cereal ads is a good example and when they see captain crunch or lucky charms theyre beg their parents to buy em. If you say no theyre whine cry so loud everyone in store stares at you and youll feel guilty and then youll pick up the box of lucky charms and then theyre stop crying.

ravensteve1961 said:
... See on TV you cant fool kids. They see all these ads like cereal ads is a good example and when they see captain crunch or lucky charms theyre beg their parents to buy em. If you say no theyre whine cry so loud everyone in store stares at you and youll feel guilty and then youll pick up the box of lucky charms and then theyre stop crying.
No way! I wasn't allowed to whine or beg, and I never allowed my daughter to whine or beg. Hubby never whined or begged his parents when he was kid. Even when I was a kid I thought whiners and beggars were just spoiled brats.

You must be watching too much TV.

ravensteve1961 said:
Look at how many people who smoked cigarettes when cigarette ads were on TV? Today the numbers have dropped since those cigarette ads were pulled off the air. Yeah listening to burger sizzling on the grill but if your kid says dad whats sizzling on the grill you tell him bacon.Or he asks what does a big mac look like? you tell him its a sort of a green vegtable then you know he wont beg you go to mc donalds. See on TV you cant fool kids. They see all these ads like cereal ads is a good example and when they see captain crunch or lucky charms theyre beg their parents to buy em. If you say no theyre whine cry so loud everyone in store stares at you and youll feel guilty and then youll pick up the box of lucky charms and then theyre stop crying.

You're still missing the point. It goes back to personal responsiblity. Everyone of us has the responsibilty to take care of ourselves. If, for some reason, someone chooses not, that's his or her choice. That same person will one day reap what he has sown, and suffer the consequences for his bad habits. I really think the goverment has better things to do than worry about it's people overconsuming sugar, fat, caffeine, and so on. Let people make their own decisions and keep the government out of it.

Ravensteve,

If you want to banned certain things, Then as well let's banned everything else. We not gotta have anything left. Regular exercise is important but so is what you eat. People should have the choice about what they eat, If you don't want to get obesity, then don't eat it. If they took the ads off people would still buy and eat junk foods. That's why we live in the United States, It gives us a freedom to do what we want just like eating. If we banned everything that cause obesity, then its like the government is controlling on how we should eat. :mrgreen:

While we are capable of being responsible, but one cannot deny that obesity is costing the taxpayers in healthcare costs and it rises every year. So yes, something need to be done to teach people about self-responsiblity.

Banjo said:
While we are capable of being responsible, but one cannot deny that obesity is costing the taxpayers in healthcare costs and it rises every year. So yes, something need to be done to teach people about self-responsiblity.

You raise a good point, but is a governmental ban on certain foods going to solve the issue? I really don't think so.

Oceanbreeze said:
You raise a good point, but is a governmental ban on certain foods going to solve the issue? I really don't think so.

I don't think it's the answer either. But people do NEED to be educated on these matters.

Banjo said:
I don't think it's the answer either. But people do NEED to be educated on these matters.

Here in America, people are being educated. We know everything we need to know about nutrition and how to prevent diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. The problem is, most people don't listen or put into practice what they know. The sad fact is, no matter what anyone does, there is still going to be people who won't do what is good for them.

Oceanbreeze said:
Here in America, people are being educated. We know everything we need to know about nutrition and how to prevent diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. The problem is, most people don't listen or put into practice what they know . The sad fact is, no matter what anyone does, there is still going to be people who won't do what is good for them.

i am sure you know who we are talking about in particular! :D

Oceanbreeze said:
Here in America, people are being educated. We know everything we need to know about nutrition and how to prevent diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. The problem is, most people don't listen or put into practice what they know. The sad fact is, no matter what anyone does, there is still going to be people who won't do what is good for them.

That number is on the rise. More people are getting fatter, apparently they aren't doing a good job.

FeistyChick said:
i am sure you know who we are talking about in particular! :D

Lets not single anyone out. I'm just as bad as the person you are referring to. The only difference between me and that person. I don't try to preach to people about the subject.

But, really, none of us really has room to talk unless we practice healthy habits 100% of time, and I don't think any of us do.

In disagree congress making the cheeseburger law. The cheeseburger law says you cannot sue fast food resteraunts because of obesity.But again they allow people to sue the tabbaco companies because cigarettes gave them lung cancer.But again just take a look at this mc donalds ad.
big_mac_photo.jpg

Now does that make you hungry?

Back