Obama's classmate speaks out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with stating his full name.

It is his full name, no?

Yes, but not right to put it in the OP if it was altered from the original article. There is an appropriate time and place for everything, and sticking it into an article to make Obama sound "worse" doesn't go anywhere with those of us who can be impartial.

:wave:

Yes, but not right to put it in the OP if it was altered from the original article. There is an appropriate time and place for everything, and sticking it into an article to make Obama sound "worse" doesn't go anywhere with those of us who can be impartial.

Suit yourself.

Wasn't talking about the article.

I was. That is the thread title and purpose. AC posted a copyrighted article that had been altered. My contention is that this reflects the exact purpose of what I described before, to draw a connection between Obama and being a Muslim/non-Christian/anti-American/whatever else negative. You disagree that the original article has been edited?

I was. That is the thread title and purpose. AC posted a copyrighted article that had been altered. My contention is that this reflects the exact purpose of what I described before, to draw a connection between Obama and being a Muslim/non-Christian/anti-American/whatever else negative. You disagree that the original article has been edited?

Never looked into the article. Don't care. It's his name. Live with it.

Never looked into the article. Don't care. It's his name. Live with it.

Editing a copyrighted article, and presenting it as fact, speaks volumes about the credibility I should place on anything your ilk might post after this.

I presented my case clearly here. His middle name was added for Right wing biased emphasis. Why was it needed? Why edit a perfectly good Obama-bashing copyrighted article to add his middle name at least twice? What was the reason? Is there a bunch of Barack Obamas that have these kinds of articles written about them?

What made this writer an expert on Obama? They might have passed each other in the parking lot once. That is a far cry from the intended connection being drawn here. Is this the best you can do? Some guy that went to the same college?

Play stupid if you wish. It is blatantly obvious here.

Editing a copyrighted article, and presenting it as fact, speaks volumes about the credibility I should place on anything your ilk might post after this.

I presented my case clearly here. His middle name was added for Right wing biased emphasis. Why was it needed? Why edit a perfectly good Obama-bashing copyrighted article to add his middle name at least twice? What was the reason? Is there a bunch of Barack Obamas that have these kinds of articles written about them?

What made this writer an expert on Obama? They might have passed each other in the parking lot once. That is a far cry from the intended connection being drawn here. Is this the best you can do? Some guy that went to the same college?

Play stupid if you wish. It is blatantly obvious here.

Editing a copyrighted material not yours is obviously not a good thing. Other than I shrug when people go into an apoplectic fit whenever his full name is mentioned. Blame his father for that name.

Oh, and by the way, I took time out from my evening to research a bit on this article. First off, from Snopes:

Second, the author is a noted Fox contributor, and member of the Libertarian Party. In fact, he was the V.P. candidate on the Libertarian ticket in 2008. I would hardly call his opinion unbiased.

Third, and I direct this comment to the OP, the article did not contain his middle name "Hussein" in it. That was added later, by someone with the heavy Right bias, trying to "remind" us of his supposed Muslim heritage. Most likely, it was added to the email you got, and you posted it here. If you are using copyrighted materials, I would suggest you get the quotes right.

I will paste the article from the source linked via Snopes in my next post.

Of course he is biased, that does not make him a liar though (which is what you are desperately trying to imply). To me, it seems like you have some sort of bias against Fox. Gee, everyone has a bias when it comes to politics. Especially politicians. However, I would not go so far as to call him a Fox contributor. He has been a guest on several occasions. Just because someone is a guest does not make them a contributor. My sister has been a repeated guest commentator for Fox, and yet, is not a contributor. And, like Root, she has also been a guest on other radio/tv outlets as well. Root has been on many different programs as a guest.

Yes, Fox news has been the most vocal media outlet that criticizes the current administration and Obama tried to censor them as a result. That only emboldened them. When he did that, he had MSM reporters from all agencies condemning him for the remarks he made.

snopes.com: Wayne Allyn Root -- Why Obama Will Lose in a Landslide

Of course he is biased, that does not make him a liar though (which is what you are desperately trying to imply). To me, it seems like you have some sort of bias against Fox. Gee, everyone has a bias when it comes to politics. Especially politicians. However, I would not go so far as to call him a Fox contributor. He has been a guest on several occasions. Just because someone is a guest does not make them a contributor. My sister has been a repeated guest commentator for Fox, and yet, is not a contributor. And, like Root, she has also been a guest on other radio/tv outlets as well. Root has been on many different programs as a guest.
I see you focused on only part of my list of issues. I will repeat them again:
  • Why was this man credited with "being a classmate" of Obama?
  • Why was AC's version edited to contain his middle name, a tactic I only see coming from the Right? Why the need to add this?
I never inferred that this man was lying> I am saying that the copy AC posted is dishonest. I am saying that the original author does not insist he "knows Obama" and quoted him above from Snopes.
Wayne Allyn Root merely attended Columbia University at the same time as Barack Obama did (and later claimed that neither he nor anyone he knew was familiar with Barack Obama at Columbia).

He is entitled to his opinions, same as you or I. It is the emailed version of the original message, the OP, that contains falsehoods. And there have been others circulating the internet, many of them finding their way to my inbox. Since you seem to have honesty at the top of your integrity list (often referring to anything I post as made up, dishonest, etc) I would fully expect that criteria to apply to ALL posts contained in political debates.

FIFY:

You can also find the same African definition at just about anywhere else.

There is also an Arabic variation, but if you are going to post that, you need to post the rest (including African) to be unbaised and fair.
That's interesting since there is no such thing as an "African" language. Africa is a continent with many countries and many languages (over 2,000) and dialects.

http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam032/99056881.pdf

Even the homeland of Obama's father, Kenya, has 62 languages.

Kenya - Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette

That's interesting since there is no such thing as an "African" language. Africa is a continent with many countries and many languages (over 2,000) and dialects.

http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam032/99056881.pdf

Even the homeland of Obama's father, Kenya, has 62 languages.

Kenya - Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette

I never claimed there was an African language. I was only posting about a name. (In response to Koko's post.) My post (which you left out) says:

Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.”

I never claimed there was an African language. I was only posting about a name. (In response to Koko's post.) My post (which you left out) says:

Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.”

Saying "African name" doesn't mean much since as Reba pointed out there are over 2,000 languages in Africa. Not to mention the many ethnic groups there are. It is correct that Obama was given a Muslim name by his father.

How can you have an African name without an African language? You certainly can't assign a translated meaning to a name if it doesn't belong to a language.

Saying "African name" doesn't mean much since as Reba pointed out there are over 2,000 languages in Africa. Not to mention the many ethnic groups there are. It is correct that Obama was given a Muslim name by his father.
Personally, I don't care what was the source or meaning of his name. We're all stuck with our names thru no choice of our own unless we change them as adults.

How can you have an African name without an African language? You certainly can't assign a translated meaning to a name if it doesn't belong to a language.

Ok, whatever. Google and read any site that discusses the name. You will find the very African connection I was referring to. But apparently that's of no matter - this thread was supposed to be about Obama's classmate.

Personally, I don't care what was the source or meaning of his name. We're all stuck with our names thru no choice of our own unless we change them as adults.

I understand yet there are reasons why our names were chosen.

I understand yet there are reasons why our names were chosen.
Yes, but the receiver of those names has no choice as a baby. :)

My dad hated his name (his first and middle names were also surnames), so he always used his initials instead. Because he had a long, unusual name, he gave my brother and me very short names that couldn't be made into nicknames. To this day, I've never had a nickname, so I guess it worked. :giggle: (As you probably know, "Reba" is not my real name; my real name is even shorter.)

Yes, but the receiver of those names has no choice as a baby. :)

My dad hated his name (his first and middle names were also surnames), so he always used his initials instead. Because he had a long, unusual name, he gave my brother and me very short names that couldn't be made into nicknames. To this day, I've never had a nickname, so I guess it worked. :giggle: (As you probably know, "Reba" is not my real name; my real name is even shorter.)

Of course, which is why I said blame the father for that name.

I think everybody in our family is satisfied with their names.

Shorter than Reba? Hmm..... Al ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back