Obama nominates Sotomayor to Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not playing a race card because race does matter. Gender does matter. To say that they don't is lying.

Suppose if Obama appoints ALL qualified nominees who are also BLACK to SCOTUS, how would you feel? I'd be furious. Obama knows and he did NOT intend to make it all black as he thinks it would be WRONG!

How about if we make the entire court all female. How would you feel?

Gender and race does matter, foxrac.

Exactly. To say "race doesn't matter" is racist in and of itself.

Both of them don't matters when appoint the judge.

Then why be upset because Obama has nominated a Latina? If her being female and Hispanic doesn't matter, then what's the deal with all the protest over the fact that she is female and Hispanic?

Exactly. To say "race doesn't matter" is racist in and of itself.

Then why be upset because Obama has nominated a Latina? If her being female and Hispanic doesn't matter, then what's the deal with all the protest over the fact that she is female and Hispanic?

I'm opposite to that, if you say race does matters and care about race then you are consider as racist.

I'm on side with my friend who is Thai and he said so too.

I'm opposite to that, if you say race does matters and care about race then you are consider as racist.

I'm on side with my friend who is Thai and he said so too.

Nope. To say that race doesn't matter is to deny the existence of racism and the impact it has on minorities of all forms in this country. That is normally the stance taken by one who has been exposed to the advantages of white priviledge all of their lives, and is attempting to be politically correct by saying "See, I can't be a racist. Race doesn't matter." The reality of the fact is, race does matter, it has always mattered, and it will always matter. To deny that is to allow racism to continue unchecked.

In addition, race and ethnicity are directly tied to individual and cultural experience. That is a large portion of what makes us the person we are and gives us our perspective on life. To say it doesn't matter is to be more racist than one who says, "Of course it matters."

Nope. To say that race doesn't matter is to deny the existence of racism and the impact it has on minorities of all forms in this country. That is normally the stance taken by one who has been exposed to the advantages of white priviledge all of their lives, and is attempting to be politically correct by saying "See, I can't be a racist. Race doesn't matter." The reality of the fact is, race does matter, it has always mattered, and it will always matter. To deny that is to allow racism to continue unchecked.

No, I had been discussed about race topic in past in other forum and many people said if you say race does matters or care about race then you are racist.

I rather not to discuss about race in this forum and if you continue to discuss like that then I would label you as racist.

It's just like someone said that they don't want friend with black people due criminal and they said race does matters to them, just like care about race.

No, I had been discussed about race topic in past in other forum and many people said if you say race does matters or care about race then you are racist.

I rather not to discuss about race in this forum and if you continue to discuss like that then I would label you as racist.

It's just like someone said that they don't want friend with black people due criminal and they said race does matters to them, just like care about race.

Well, race is a part of this topic, as it is about Obama's nomination for Supreme Court Justice, and the objections to his nomination are concerned with race and gender.

You can call me a racist all you want to. You are very confused about what racism truly is, how covert it can be, and how everyone, everyone, everyone, sees the world through their own racial perspective. Someone who objects to having friends of another ethnicity is not only racist, they are also prejudiced. To deny that color, gender, SES, disability, or any of the other things that create minority populations in this country matters is to deny the experience of every person belonging to that minority. That is indeed, racist. Of course it matters.

Well, race is a part of this topic, as it is about Obama's nomination for Supreme Court Justice, and the objections to his nomination are concerned with race and gender.

You can call me a racist all you want to. You are very confused about what racism truly is, how covert it can be, and how everyone, everyone, everyone, sees the world through their own racial perspective. Someone who objects to having friends of another ethnicity is not only racist, they are also prejudiced. To deny that color, gender, SES, disability, or any of the other things that create minority populations in this country matters is to deny the experience of every person belonging to that minority. That is indeed, racist. Of course it matters.

In other countries, such as some part of Europe, Asia and Latin America, they don't used race color on data or government level, even everyone treats equal.

It's not racist when Obama picks white judge, it's all about judge's experience, political, etc and Obama picked Sotomayor because of judge's experience and agree with her political views, such as support abortion but race isn't concerned.

If anyone don't want marry to other race then it's their personal and it isn't considered as racist but shouldn't discussed in public area with other minorities, it does offense anyone, for me, I don't want marry to other race either but I don't really want share on public area.

In other countries, such as some part of Europe, Asia and Latin America, they don't used race color on data or government level, even everyone treats equal.

It's not racist when Obama picks white judge, it's all about judge's experience, political, etc and Obama picked Sotomayor because of judge's experience and agree with her political views, such as support abortion but race isn't concerned.

If anyone don't want marry to other race then it's their personal and it isn't considered as racist but shouldn't discussed in public area with other minorities, it does offense anyone, for me, I don't want marry to other race either but I don't really want share on public area.

Every country has minority under classes, and no country treats everyone with equality. That place simply does not exist.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you have the exact same life experience as a Latina woman? The fact that she is a Latina dictates the way she has experienced life, and therefore, is responsibible for her views of the world and the way it works. Yes, he nominated her for her experience and her views. Her experience and her views are dependent upon the fact that she is a Latina. That doesn't mean he is being racist. It means that he, and I, and many, many others, are saying that race does matter because it makes her the person she is. She wasn't nominated just because she is a Hispanic. She was nominated because her experience growing up and achieving in this country as a Hispanic and as a woman give her a viewpopint that someone who is not Hispanic and female can't have.

It doesn't have anything at all to do with prejudice and discrimination. It doesn't have anything to do with who you choose to marry. It has to do with the fact that her experience as a Latina is a part of who she is. To say that doesn't matter is racist. You are saying that her experience is the same experience you have had. That is ridiculous.

Every country has minority under classes, and no country treats everyone with equality. That place simply does not exist.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you have the exact same life experience as a Latina woman? The fact that she is a Latina dictates the way she has experienced life, and therefore, is responsibible for her views of the world and the way it works. Yes, he nominated her for her experience and her views. Her experience and her views are dependent upon the fact that she is a Latina. That doesn't mean he is being racist. It means that he, and I, and many, many others, are saying that race does matter because it makes her the person she is. She wasn't nominated just because she is a Hispanic. She was nominated because her experience growing up and achieving in this country as a Hispanic and as a woman give her a viewpopint that someone who is not Hispanic and female can't have.

It doesn't have anything at all to do with prejudice and discrimination. It doesn't have anything to do with who you choose to marry. It has to do with the fact that her experience as a Latina is a part of who she is. To say that doesn't matter is racist. You are saying that her experience is the same experience you have had. That is ridiculous.

I don't think you does understand my post then let agree to disagree.

I don't dislike Sotomayor because of race, I"m really don't care about race that Obama would pick, however I don't want crazy conservative judge to be in supreme court, that all I care about it, not race or gender.

I don't appreciate for you to call me an confused person since you and I have different opinion then let agree to disagree, even I don't let you to invade my life by ask too many questions due you act like professional member.

I don't think you does understand my post then let agree to disagree.

I don't dislike Sotomayor because of race, I"m really don't care about race that Obama would pick, however I don't want crazy conservative judge to be in supreme court, that all I care about it, not race or gender.

I don't appreciate for you to call me an confused person since you and I have different opinion then let agree to disagree, even I don't let you to invade my life by ask too many questions due you act like professional member.

I didn't say that you disliked Sotomayor because of race. I said you were incorrect in saying that race doesn't matter.

I didn't say you were a confused person. I said you were confused about the true nature of racism.

I didn't ask you any personal questions.

In fact, I was simply agreeing with Netrox that race does matter, has always mattered, and will always matter, and to deny that fact is to be racist as it denies the life experience of all minority populations.

I didn't say that you disliked Sotomayor because of race. I said you were incorrect in saying that race doesn't matter.

I didn't say you were a confused person. I said you were confused about the true nature of racism.

I didn't ask you any personal questions.

You and I have agree to disagree, please don't label my post as incorrect or I will label your post as incorrect too.

You and I have agree to disagree, please don't label my post as incorrect or I will label your post as incorrect too.

Go ahead. Race does matter, has always mattered, and will always matter. To believe otherwise is to deny the experience of any and all minorities.

If you can show me that you have had the same life experience as a Latina in this country, then I will say race doesn't matter. We both know that you can't do that because you are not a Latina.

Go ahead. Race does matter, has always mattered, and will always matter. To believe otherwise is to deny the experience of any and all minorities.

For me, race don't matters when pick the judge, elect the person at government level, including president, congresses, governors and work at government, such as teachers, professional, etc.

For me, race don't matters when pick the judge, elect the person at government level, including president, congresses, governors and work at government, such as teachers, professional, etc.

You are talking about not basing an appointment solely on race. That is a long way from saying race doesn't matter.

You are talking about not basing an appointment solely on race. That is a long way from saying race doesn't matter.

Like I said again, let agree to disagree.

I don't think agreeing or disagreeing is the issue. We are obviously talking about two very different things, and two very different concepts.

I don't think agreeing or disagreeing is the issue. We are obviously talking about two very different things, and two very different concepts.

I'm get out of childish debate and let back on topic about new nomination judge.

I'm get out of childish debate and let back on topic about new nomination judge.

So, what about Sotomayor's nomination?

Let's say... if a nominee is an athiest, does that matter to you? I bet it does. Polls say that they'd not vote for an atheist. That is wrong but it's reality.

It was just 30 years ago when homosexuals were denied the right to teach just because of their sexual orientation. Obviously, it shows that "sexual orientation" mattered to them. They chose to say that being straight is better. That's fine but they were wrong to deny that right to gays.

A century ago, it was perfectly legal to discriminate people based on religion and race. That shows that to them, race and religion mattered.

Now, we have laws prohibiting discrimination based on gender/race and we noominated a latino woman who is clearly qualified and now we have conservatives calling her a racist just because she BELIEVES and HOPES her experiences as a Latino woman with diabetes would make her a better judge.

Let's say... if a nominee is an athiest, does that matter to you? I bet it does. Polls say that they'd not vote for an atheist. That is wrong but it's reality.

It was just 30 years ago when homosexuals were denied the right to teach just because of their sexual orientation. Obviously, it shows that "sexual orientation" mattered to them. They chose to say that being straight is better. That's fine but they were wrong to deny that right to gays.

A century ago, it was perfectly legal to discriminate people based on religion and race. That shows that to them, race and religion mattered.

Now, we have laws prohibiting discrimination based on gender/race and we noominated a latino woman who is clearly qualified and now we have conservatives calling her a racist just because she BELIEVES and HOPES her experiences as a Latino woman with diabetes would make her a better judge.

Exactly. The fact that she is a woman, is a Latina, and has lived with diabetes makes her uniquely who she is and is responsible for how she views life. That doesn't mean that nominating her was a racial decision. It simply means that it is a part of the whole package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back