NZ makes plans for ebola outbreak

No? How did you know? Ebola goes Airborne. Maybe the Ebola virus is still flying inside the hospital ventilation system. :hmm:

He exposed with Ebola which is very dangerous, he should stay in Africa until full recovery then he can always return to his home.

If you got diagnosed with Ebola so government could detain you (quarantine, isolation) to hospital until it is completely treated.

i agree with Authetic, i DONT FLIPPIN CARE IF USA is his home, it is DANGEROUS ... emotions associated makes it WRONG DECISION
they should have said no you can't you must stay there till you recover and of course, but no....im not even sure WHY they brought him back to the States WHAT FOR??!!!

What bloody for??
to study it, I guess. there are very very very very very few facilities in the world designed to observe and experiment with level-4 biohazard. and this is a very rare opportunity to observe it as well, I suppose.

you are showing a classic "Jaws fear". I made it up but let me explain. when Jaw movie came out, the public was truly terrified of sharks so people went out to kill many sharks..... when in fact shark attacks were very rare. that shows the power of human's ignorance and lack of education about sharks can do to this beautiful Mother Nature.

many people do not really know anything about Ebola Virus and how it's being handled. All they know is that it's a very high fatality rate and there's no cure. Knowing nothing about it... the public is associating ebola virus with 28 Days Later, Outbreak (old movie), or whatever - hence... the Jaws fear.

besides;
i have another question
i was lead to believe Ebola 'was extinct' er contained and held only in the superlabs where they study viruses.. in it utmost controlled environment and now it back , how come?
it just doesn't spring back from thin air or because the weak people over in West Africa somehow developed it....it just doesn't happen this way, what then?
im a little suspicious of it..to be honest..
Ebola virus was never extinct anyway. It is still pretty rare for infectious disease to jump from animal to human (it's called zoonosis) but when it happens... it's sadly terrifying and rapidly destructive. HIV, SARS and rabies are one of them.

so let me tell you this..... in America - there are more than 1 million people living in USA among us..... with HIV..... which is zoonotic infectious disease like ebola virus... and yet we are not terrified now, aren't we? :) but we were terrified before when we first heard about HIV though.

i figured....

it's so small it would be IMPOSSIBLE to eradicate it completely..so it makes sense....

I think the only way to eradicate it is to firebomb all natural habitats to kill all animals in Africa

If you got diagnosed with Ebola so government could detain you (quarantine, isolation) to hospital until it is completely treated.

and also other people who were in contact (direct/indirect) with you

Frequently asked questions about Ebola virus - DailyHerald.com
Q: Where do we stand with developing drugs for Ebola?

A: An experimental antibody cocktail being developed by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg, Canada, the U.S. Army and two drug companies, Mapp Biopharmaceutical Inc. of San Diego and Toronto-based Defyrus Inc. has shown promise in animal tests. Safety studies in healthy humans may begin in the first half of next year, according to Defyrus. While Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corp. is also testing its Ebola therapy, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration placed the trial on hold due to safety concerns.

reassuring? I SURELY HOPE SO! :lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/03/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Treatment in isolation
This will be the first human Ebola test for a U.S. medical facility. The patients will be treated at an isolated unit where precautions are in place to keep such deadly diseases from spreading, unit supervisor Dr. Bruce Ribner said.

Everything that comes in and out of the unit will be controlled, Ribner said, and it will have windows and an intercom for staff to interact with patients without being in the room.

Ebola doesn't spread through airborne or waterborne methods. It spreads through contact with organs and bodily fluids such as blood, saliva, urine and other secretions of infected people.

There is no FDA-approved treatment for Ebola, and Emory will use what Ribner calls "supportive care." That means carefully tracking a patient's symptoms, vital signs and organ function and taking measures, such as blood transfusions and dialysis, to keep patients stable.

"We just have to keep the patient alive long enough in order for the body to control this infection," Ribner said.

Writebol was given an experimental serum this week, Samaritan's Purse said, though its purpose and effects weren't immediately publicized.

The Ebola virus causes viral hemorrhagic fever, which refers to a group of viruses that affect multiple organ systems in the body and are often accompanied by bleeding.

Early symptoms include sudden onset of fever, weakness, muscle pain, headaches and a sore throat. They later progress to vomiting, diarrhea, impaired kidney and liver function -- and sometimes internal and external bleeding.

Emory's isolation unit was created with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which is based nearby. It aims to optimize care for those with highly infectious diseases and is one of four U.S. institutions capable of providing such treatment.

The World Health Organization reports that the outbreak in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea is believed to have infected 1,323 people and killed more than 729 this year, as of July 27.

In the 1990s, an Ebola strain tied to monkeys -- Ebola-Reston -- was found in the United States, but no humans got sick from it, according to the CDC.

to study it, I guess. there are very very very very very few facilities in the world designed to observe and experiment with level-4 biohazard. and this is a very rare opportunity to observe it as well, I suppose.

you are showing a classic "Jaws fear". I made it up but let me explain. when Jaw movie came out, the public was truly terrified of sharks so people went out to kill many sharks..... when in fact shark attacks were very rare. that shows the power of human's ignorance and lack of education about sharks can do to this beautiful Mother Nature.

many people do not really know anything about Ebola Virus and how it's being handled. All they know is that it's a very high fatality rate and there's no cure. Knowing nothing about it... the public is associating ebola virus with 28 Days Later, Outbreak (old movie), or whatever - hence... the Jaws fear.

Ebola virus was never extinct anyway. It is still pretty rare for infectious disease to jump from animal to human (it's called zoonosis) but when it happens... it's sadly terrifying and rapidly destructive. HIV, SARS and rabies are one of them.

so let me tell you this..... in America - there are more than 1 million people living in USA among us..... with HIV..... which is zoonotic infectious disease like ebola virus... and yet we are not terrified now, aren't we? :) but we were terrified before when we first heard about HIV though.

yes, i've heard of this before too, but not your 'coin' "Jaws fear" lol , that's good one, if improved, it ought to be renamed as "The Jaws effect" :lol:

yes, i've heard of this before too, but not your 'coin' "Jaws fear" lol , that's good one, if improved, it ought to be renamed as "The Jaws effect" :lol:

The Jaws Effect? that's actually better :thumb:

No? How did you know? Ebola goes Airborne. Maybe the Ebola virus is still flying inside the hospital ventilation system. :hmm:

He exposed with Ebola which is very dangerous, he should stay in Africa until full recovery then he can always return to his home.
How do you know he has spread the virus to anyone? Is anyone in America sick from exposure to him?

What about outrage over this?

Illegal immigrant kids exposed federal agents to lice, scabies, tuberculosis and chicken pox, report says
By Jana WinterPublished August 01

Unaccompanied illegal immigrant children with communicable diseases have given or exposed federal agents to lice, scabies, tuberculosis and chicken pox, according to a report issued Thursday by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General.

In two cases, the children of a border patrol agent got chicken pox contracted from their parents’ exposure to unaccompanied children with chicken pox, according to the report on conditions of detention centers and border facilities.

The report, the first in a series, is based on 87 unannounced visits to 63 detention centers being used to house unaccompanied alien children (UAC) in Texas, Arizona and California during July 1-16.

“Many UAC and family units require treatment for communicable diseases, including respiratory illnesses, tuberculosis, chicken pox, and scabies,” said the memorandum summarizing the report.

“UAC and family unit illnesses and unfamiliarity with bathroom facilities resulted in unsanitary conditions and exposure to human waste in some holding facilities.

“DHS employees reported exposure to communicable diseases and becoming sick on duty. For example, during a recent site visit to the Del Rio USBP Station and Del Rio Port of Entry, CBP personnel reported contracting scabies, lice, and chicken pox.

“Two CBP Officers reported that their children were diagnosed with chicken pox within days of the CBP Officers' contact with a UAC who had chicken pox. In addition, USBP personnel at the Clint Station and Santa Teresa Station reported that they were potentially exposed to tuberculosis.”

Sources previously told FoxNews.com of multiple instances in which Border Patrol agents were exposed to tuberculosis—and one instance in which an agent contracted a severe case of tuberculosis from illegal immigrants in his care.

Other sources told FoxNews.com that swine flu has been found at several detention centers in Texas.

According to the OIG report, one of the detention centers being used to house unaccompanied children did not have a trained medical tech on site and four did not provide detainees access to prescription medication.

OIG agents checked the sites for sanitation, availability of medical care, food services and other factors. Sites and their staff were found to be largely in compliance with rules and regulations.

The memo also reveals that DHS OIG is investigating a June 11 complaint to DHS Officer for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties and DHS OIG filed by the ACLU on behalf of 116 unaccompanied alien children.

The office currently is investigating 16 of those allegations while separate offices are investigating the others.

During their detention site visits, OIG agents did not observe misconduct or inappropriate conduct by DHS employees nor did they receive new complaints from any of the randomly interviewed unaccompanied children.

The OIG also found that the data system used by CBP to comply with the required documentation of the arrests and care and release of unaccompanied children was unreliable because of frequent system outages causing inconsistent reporting.

CBP’s data system is supposed to be used to track compliance with guidelines including meal times per day, phone usage, detainee medical conditions and detainee arrests and releases from CBP custody.

OIG recommended Immigration and Customs Enforcement find the resources needed to fix the system.
Illegal immigrant kids exposed federal agents to lice, scabies, tuberculosis and chicken pox, report says | Fox News

some years ago some idiot American doctors put some monkies who had died from this virus in the boot of their car,not clever...I believe a film with dustan Hoffman was made about it...
What scares me is the reaction people have HIV good example, ignorence which kill us as grum says the jaws effect

they'll live.
My point is, more Americans are already affected by this for real but people are more upset about something that is not likely to happen at all.

Would you want to live with TB? Maybe a chronic disease is not always immediately fatal but believe me, it's not like living a normal life.

Who knows what other viruses illegal immigrants bring into the country. At least the American Ebola patients are monitored and precautions are taken. No one tests people who make illegal border crossings.

some years ago some idiot American doctors put some monkies who had died from this virus in the boot of their car,not clever...I believe a film with dustan Hoffman was made about it...
What scares me is the reaction people have HIV good example, ignorence which kill us as grum says the jaws effect

that's the movie called Outbreak

Outbreak_movie.JPG

My point is, more Americans are already affected by this for real but people are more upset about something that is not likely to happen at all.

Would you want to live with TB? Maybe a chronic disease is not always immediately fatal but believe me, it's not like living a normal life.

Who knows what other viruses illegal immigrants bring into the country. At least the American Ebola patients are monitored and precautions are taken. No one tests people who make illegal border crossings.

illegal immigrants have been coming into this country for decades. if they are sick, the crossing will kill them anyway and condors will take care of it.

but as for children being brought into here to a facility... well at least it's contained and controlled but our agents should be better protected. that's all they need... a biohazard suit or something.

illegal immigrants have been coming into this country for decades. if they are sick, the crossing will kill them anyway and condors will take care of it.
No, the sick ones don't all die in the crossing. Some are carriers, or cross over while they're still in the early stages of sickness.

but as for children being brought into here to a facility... well at least it's contained and controlled but our agents should be better protected. that's all they need... a biohazard suit or something.
No, they are not controlled; it's worse. They are all kept in close proximity in conditions that aren't optimally hygienic. All those workers who are in contact with them aren't going to be wearing biohazard suits. There are hundreds of workers who are exposed to them. Also, they are being dispersed all over the country.

No, the sick ones don't all die in the crossing. Some are carriers, or cross over while they're still in the early stages of sickness.
still treatable and and most have cures.

No, they are not controlled; it's worse. They are all kept in close proximity in conditions that aren't optimally hygienic. All those workers who are in contact with them aren't going to be wearing biohazard suits. There are hundreds of workers who are exposed to them. Also, they are being dispersed all over the country.
controlled as in... contained environment and monitored but I'm not very concerned about it as most diseases are treatable. I assume that the workers are already vaccinated as well.

Do all federal agents require to receive immunization shots, especially Varicella (chicken pox)?

Chickenpox isn't concerned if you already had chickenpox or received a vaccine.

Lice is easily to treat with chemical and special shampoo.

TB? That's not funny due to long term antibiotics. :eek3:

I had worst chickenpox in 1988 so I'm immune to that now.

still treatable and and most have cures.
"Most" is not "all." How would you like to have one of the incurable diseases?

controlled as in... contained environment and monitored but I'm not very concerned about it as most diseases are treatable. I assume that the workers are already vaccinated as well.
They are not all being monitored, and of course, we aren't including the ones who don't get caught (they are free to spread their diseases wherever).

Again, "most" are treatable is not the same as "all." Even those that are treatable can leave a person debilitated or with life-long effects.

There are not vaccines for all diseases, such as TB, and vaccines aren't a guarantee against infection. Also, Americans are no longer routinely vaccinated against all diseases unless they're traveling to countries where there is a risk of catching something. For example, Americans aren't routinely vaccinated for smallpox because it's not a problem here but that doesn't prevent people from other areas bringing the disease in.

Back