NY and WH discriminate against blind people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why did you defend against it (or in jillioese, "showed how absurd the accusation was")?

I wasn't defending against anything. I was pointing out the absurdity of your accusation because it was so humorous to anyone who knows me and my background.:laugh2:

Defending would be; "I'm not a racist. I have black friends. My neighbors are black. I sit next to a black guy on the subway, and I didn't even have a weapon to defend myself.":laugh2: Justification is a large part of the defense. You continue to refuse to recognize that, however.

He's a borg. Didn't you know that?

I am not referring to the "CI" borg... the borgs found on Star Trek that have super-hearing.

Hey, hey, he's giving us other borgs a bad name. :giggle:

I figured as much since you've always been HOH/Deaf. Now as HOH I have no idea what race someone is. There's a slight chance I might be able to tell by the texture of their hands, but I've never looked into it enough to notice.

And of course I've gotten people's race wrong based on their voice as well. There might be trends but of course nothing can totally determine someone's race, not even their appearance.

Bingo. And when one attempts to do so using such superficial criteria, one usually ends up with one's foot in one's mouth.:giggle:

I wasn't defending against anything. I was pointing out the absurdity of your accusation because it was so humorous to anyone who knows me and my background.:laugh2:

Defending would be; "I'm not a racist. I have black friends. My neighbors are black. I sit next to a black guy on the subway, and I didn't even have a weapon to defend myself.":laugh2: Justification is a large part of the defense. You continue to refuse to recognize that, however.

You are defending yourself by claiming you don't defend yourself :P

Paterson didn't complain.:cool2:

Actually he said that he found it tasteless and while he has been secured in a high position, he thought the skit would be hurtful for the 70% of blind people that continue not to be employed because of employers' misconceptions.

"I can take a joke," Paterson told the Daily News on Sunday. "But only 37% of disabled people are working, and I'm afraid that that kind of third-grade humor certainly adds to this atmosphere."

In the skit about the governor's choice of a replacement for Sen. Hillary Clinton, Armisen's Paterson pointed out that he became governor after Gov. Eliot Spitzer's prostitution scandal.

"Whoever is appointed senator must -- like me -- be caught totally off guard and be comically unprepared to take office," he said. "Come on, I'm a blind man who loves cocaine who was suddenly appointed governor of New York. My life is an actual plot from a Richard Pryor movie."

A spokesman for the National Federation of the Blind also slammed the "SNL" skit.

"The biggest problem faced by blind people is not blindness itself, but the stereotypes held by the general public," spokesman Chris Danielsen said. "The idea that blind people are incapable of the simplest tasks and are perpetually disoriented and befuddled is absolutely wrong."

Paterson's spokesman Errol Cockfield Jr. said "the governor is sure that 'Saturday Night Live,' with all of its talent, can find a way to be funny without being offensive."

NBC declined to comment on the show and the skit. Natch.

What do you think? Did "SNL" go too far in making fun of a blind politician? Or is everyone fair game?

Source

But if you really want to take up the cause of the blind, you will start posting transcripts and describing your photos so their screen readers can pick it up. Don't get indignant when you are guilty of discrimination consistently.

:gpost::gpost:

kokonut it would be really great if you started transcribing your videos and describing your photos. :ty:

Hey, hey, he's giving us other borgs a bad name. :giggle:

Haha... I refer to anyone that have a perfection complex to be a borg. I am a former borg. :(

I never really got why people refer CI implantees as borgs for a long time, but that's because i took the borgs' philosophy literally, rather than the cultural implementation of the word.

Bingo. And when one attempts to do so using such superficial criteria, one usually ends up with one's foot in one's mouth.:giggle:

how this any different than people taking a magnifying glass on conservatives and accuse of them of something they are not.

Actually he said that he found it tasteless and while he has been secured in a high position, he thought the skit would be hurtful for the 70% of blind people that continue not to be employed because of employers' misconceptions.

Source

:gpost::gpost:

kokonut it would be really great if you started transcribing your videos and describing your photos. :ty:

I stand corrected. However, I still feel that jumping to Paterson's defense is hypocritical and superficial given the amount of discrimination shown to both the blind and the deaf by kokonut on this very board.

still no word directly from Paterson's mouth...... unlike Obama :)

It's pretty plain and obvious, Jiro. He didn't like the first skit that SNL made fun of blind people.

The Governor engages in humor all the time, and he can certainly take a joke. However, this particular Saturday Night Live skit unfortunately chose to ridicule people with physical disabilities and imply that disabled people are incapable of having jobs with serious responsibilities. The Governor is sure that Saturday Night Live, with all of its talent, can find a way to be funny without being offensive. Knowing the Governor, he might even have some suggestions himself.

The Daily Politics - NY Daily News

Pretty, ahem, clear to me.

This reminds me of one time when I was in a class where my teacher lectured us on and on about never assuming someone's race by the color of their skin. She then complained about how she was the only black person in the class. A fellow friend of mine raised her hand and said quite simply, "I'm half black."

Haha... I refer to anyone that have a perfection complex to be a borg. I am a former borg. :(

I never really got why people refer CI implantees as borgs for a long time, but that's because i took the borgs' philosophy literally, rather than the cultural implementation of the word.

Ah.. you're referering to Star Trek?

I stand corrected. However, I still feel that jumping to Paterson's defense is hypocritical and superficial given the amount of discrimination shown to both the blind and the deaf by kokonut on this very board.

Definitely agree with you on this one.

This reminds me of one time when I was in a class where my teacher lectured us on and on about never assuming someone's race by the color of their skin. She then complained about how she was the only black person in the class. A fellow friend of mine raised her hand and said quite simply, "I'm half black."

Yeppers. It has been assumed that I am white, as well when that criterion is used. The truth of the matter is, I was much darker skinned as a child, but I have vitiligo and completely lost my pigment by the time I was in my early 20's. Pictures were posted some time ago to illustrate that fact. I'm sure that Jiro will remember seeing them, and the discussion we had about it.

Defending would also be: "I'm part black. I have mitigating factors. Anyone who knows my background knows I'm not racist. It's just laughable! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:"

Don't get me wrong. My point is that some defenses, including yours, are strong enough to refute the racism charge. Your point is that any defense is proof of guilt... while you defend yourself from my hypothetical racism charge and deny it falls under the plain definition of "defense".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back