NY and WH discriminate against blind people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been able to distinguish someone's ethnics by their voice as I've never been able to hear well enough.

I do make guesses though sometimes.
White people tend to sweat more so if it's a really hot day and the person isn't sweaty I can guess they are black, but it's only a guess, and I've got it wrong before now.

If you ran into me, you probably can't tell because I don't sweat.. My face turns beet red instead of sweating on hot days. It is quite embarrassing too but I've heard it is a good thing because my body discovered another way to cool off instead sweating and getting dehydrated easily (probably why I don't get thirsty as much on hot days).

Of what? That you are white, or that you are of the male gender? I think they already know both of those facts.:lol:

I used to be a white boy.

Just gotta ask if my mom still have the Fruits of the Loom.

Loosen up, kokonut. You're wound up too tight. Might wanna move to the west coast... there's a field of greens for ya. ;)

Exactly. The difference is, you and souggy recognize and admit your ethnocentrism, while those that are attempting to portray themselves and completely non-racist and non-ethnocentric deny its existence. The honest person admits that we all have a degree of ethnocentrism. It is a human condition. Those are the people you don't need to worry about. Their awareness and their honesty means that they do not, or at least strive not, to use it as a way to discriminate or oppress. The deniers are the ones you need to look out for.

Mm I think i'm very ethnocentrist given some of my posts regarding my family. When given a chance to talk about my family, I like to talk about their origins. I usually just say my family on my dad's side is of English orign but if I were to break down the English ethicity, I would say my dad's family is likely of Norman descent based on the surnames of my dad's family. One branch of my mother's family also has a surname that's of Norman origin as well.

My mother's family is of Swiss-German, Prussian (Prussia existing before the creation of Germany) origin for the most part. For a long time, I use to hate the Germans because of what they did in WW2 and I hated being of German origin.

Mm I think i'm very ethnocentrist given some of my posts regarding my family. When given a chance to talk about my family, I like to talk about their origins. I usually just say my family on my dad's side is of English orign but if I were to break down the English ethicity, I would say my dad's family is likely of Norman descent based on the surnames of my dad's family. One branch of my mother's family also has a surname that's of Norman origin as well.

My mother's family is of Swiss-German, Prussian (Prussia existing before the creation of Germany) origin for the most part. For a long time, I use to hate the Germans because of what they did in WW2 and I hated being of German origin.

I've said it before, but there are those that ignore it over and over...we all have a degree of ethnocnetrism. The issue isn't whether we have it or not, it is whether we recognize it so that we can strive not to allow it to unduly influence our thinking and our attitudes. Those that deny its existence cannot be aware, and therefore, it does influence their thinking and their attitudes even as they deny it.

We would have a very long night together... I like talking about cultural origins and everything.

I tend to ramble on about the Dutch and Ukrainians...

Of what? That you are white, or that you are of the male gender? I think they already know both of those facts.:lol:

It's how you said it. And you made a personal and petty attempt at slamming. Quite obvious. Acting isn't your forte.

Paterson didn't complain.:cool2:

But if you really want to take up the cause of the blind, you will start posting transcripts and describing your photos so their screen readers can pick it up. Don't get indignant when you are guilty of discrimination consistently.

Paterson has not liked the skits, saying it reflects poorly on the blind. Disability rights groups also have knocked the portrayals.

It's right there.

It's how you said it. And you made a personal and petty attempt at slamming. Quite obvious. Acting isn't your forte.

Funny. You can hear so well that you can discern my tone of voice from print and without emoticons? Nope, I think it is just that you want to see an insult there so you can complete those self fulfilling prophecies you continually set up for yourself. You take yourself far more seriously than anyone else does.

Funny. You can hear so well that you can discern my tone of voice from print and without emoticons?

He's a borg. Didn't you know that?

I am not referring to the "CI" borg... the borgs found on Star Trek that have super-hearing.

Funny. You can hear so well that you can discern my tone of voice from print and without emoticons? Nope, I think it is just that you want to see an insult there so you can complete those self fulfilling prophecies you continually set up for yourself. You take yourself far more seriously than anyone else does.

:dunno2:

Yes, you included a disclaimer. By the time I got to the end of the post and the disclaimer, I had already cracked up regarding the accusation.:lol:

As I stated before, if you aren't racist, you feel no need to defend against it. It is an aside, rather than the focus of the conversation.
Then why did you defend against it (or in jillioese, "showed how absurd the accusation was")?

He's a borg. Didn't you know that?

I am not referring to the "CI" borg... the borgs found on Star Trek that have super-hearing.

Well, there you go! That explains a lot!:laugh2:

I've never been able to distinguish someone's ethnics by their voice as I've never been able to hear well enough.

I do make guesses though sometimes.
White people tend to sweat more so if it's a really hot day and the person isn't sweaty I can guess they are black, but it's only a guess, and I've got it wrong before now.

I figured as much since you've always been HOH/Deaf. Now as HOH I have no idea what race someone is. There's a slight chance I might be able to tell by the texture of their hands, but I've never looked into it enough to notice.

And of course I've gotten people's race wrong based on their voice as well. There might be trends but of course nothing can totally determine someone's race, not even their appearance.

We would have a very long night together... I like talking about cultural origins and everything.

I tend to ramble on about the Dutch and Ukrainians...

:giggle: I think we could too. One branch of my mother's family may have a Jewish origin but I don't know enough to be sure. Based on what I know of my family, it's more likely to be of German origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back